Blower motor resistor upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

Blower motor resistor upgrade

2001 WJ with 4.7 heat and AC blower motor stopped working. I took the resistor off and I have the typical melted connector. I purchased the new upgraded resistor and wiring kit to fix it. Here is where my question begins. I've read in several places the wiring harness supplied that runs from the resistor to the blower motor is wired incorrectly, that you need to pull the blue piece on the connector and swap the wires. My dumb question is, do I swap them on one end of the harness, or both ends? If I swap them on both end wouldn't I be back where I started? As always thanks for you response in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 PM
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

As far as I know, if you replace the whole blower resistor with the new one (with the bigger fins) you just reverse the wires that connect to it. If you don't, it will run backwards.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
post #3 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanNC
2001 WJ with 4.7 heat and AC blower motor stopped working. I took the resistor off and I have the typical melted connector. I purchased the new upgraded resistor and wiring kit to fix it. Here is where my question begins. I've read in several places the wiring harness supplied that runs from the resistor to the blower motor is wired incorrectly, that you need to pull the blue piece on the connector and swap the wires. My dumb question is, do I swap them on one end of the harness, or both ends? If I swap them on both end wouldn't I be back where I started? As always thanks for you response in advance
One end.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Wrote up on this? Where do u buy this newer one with bigger fins?

03 Jeep WJ Overland>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 Ford Taurus>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah
http://bit.ly/1hyzrqG
post #6 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah View Post
I purchased the one with the bigger fins from Amazon along with the new wiring harness.

Thanks for all the replies!!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Is there a write up to wiring this right? I see everyone saying u have to switch the wires

03 Jeep WJ Overland>

91 Ford Taurus>
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM
jziegler
2002 WJ 

You switch the two wires that go from resistor to the blower motor. I believe one is black and one is green. Just cut and swap.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2002 wj limited 4.7 h.o.265/70/17 hankook dynapro atm 4in rough country lift, adjustible track bar, rough country steering stabilizer.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM
miami5th
2001 WJ 

If you buy the Mopar kit with the upgraded resistor you have to swap the wire orientation coming from the resistor to the blower motor. I believe it's a green and black wire set. I just focused on the plug that goes into the blower motor. No need to slice and splice to change the wire orientation. Examine the plug and you'll see some clips that are easily removed that allows you to just pull out the black/green wires from the plug and re-install them.

I had to do this on my resistor upgrade. Except I didn't realize the wiring was backwards until I noticed the fan spinning in the wrong direction and a drastic loss in air flow. Swapping the black/green wires fixed the problem.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
RepomanNC
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami5th View Post
If you buy the Mopar kit with the upgraded resistor you have to swap the wire orientation coming from the resistor to the blower motor. I believe it's a green and black wire set. I just focused on the plug that goes into the blower motor. No need to slice and splice to change the wire orientation. Examine the plug and you'll see some clips that are easily removed that allows you to just pull out the black/green wires from the plug and re-install them.

I had to do this on my resistor upgrade. Except I didn't realize the wiring was backwards until I noticed the fan spinning in the wrong direction and a drastic loss in air flow. Swapping the black/green wires fixed the problem.
You just look square at the end you will see a blue clip, remove that, remove the two wires, swap them, put them back in and put the blue clip back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in