• 1 Post By WJ60
  • 1 Post By sqrlhntr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-22-2021, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Blend Doors Not Going All The Way Up

I've searched a whole bunch of posts looking for something about my particular problem, having come up empty handed, here I go. '04 WJ Laredo with MTC, noticed late last winter that my heat was lukewarm, we had a fairly cold spring in eastern NC and the heat wasn't getting it done. Did my homework, between lack of heat and the foam blowing out the vents I figured it was the blend door(s). Ordered the JGCParts single zone kit and put it in yesterday. Pretty easy project, but when I put the actuator motor on and tested it, I realized that the door is not going all the way up. It's stopping a good inch or so from the fully upright position. Pulled the motor off to see if there was anything keeping it from closing or binding and nope, with the motor off I can turn the shaft and it goes into the fully closed position. Anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if it's the actuator motor, but if you notice there's marks on it that seem to indicate the open and closed position. The cheapest one I've found is at Autozone for 40 bucks, but still I'm not sure if it's the issue.

Pic 1 - buttoned back up after door install
Pic 2 - door in down position - heat on cold setting
Pic 3 - door as far as it goes up - heat on hot setting
Pic 4 - actuator removed - door will go all of the way up with ease if you push it, no binding

Attached Thumbnails
20210922_080145.jpg   20210922_080733.jpg   20210922_080747.jpg   20210922_080943.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-22-2021, 12:14 PM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Uhmmmm....
Why that actuator (motor) has 4 wires?
Wj blend doors motors have 2 wires, and the AC unit manage them reading the limits I think from current readings.

It seems that that actuator is not for WJs: could it be?

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #3 of 14 Old 09-22-2021, 04:09 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
According to a part search that actuator doesn't match your '04.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye

post #4 of 14 Old 09-22-2021, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
All of the aftermarket replacements Iíve seen online are four wire.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-23-2021, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
According to a part search that actuator doesn't match your '04.
I'm not the original owner, so I have no idea what may have been done before I bought it. I had heat before, like bake bread heat and now I don't. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and figured out what it was. Something in the controls, bad actuator, ect.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

The actuator (the motor) probably has a mechanical limit inside, the two marks probably indicate this.
You could try to supply the actuator alone, without blend doors connected, and look if it stops.
The original WJ actuators, when supplied alone without blend doors, keep turning and turning.

As WJ60 said, if that actuator does not match the WJ, probably the cause is this.

The previous actuator stopped working?

post #7 of 14 Old 09-23-2021, 10:16 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
I agree that the actuator is not correct according to part #.....but what confounds me is why does the connector have four wires.
Was it perhaps 'spliced in' at some point?

When I rebuilt my HVAC, I went down to the boneyard and pulled OEM actuators from a few dead WJs....they cost almost nothing.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #8 of 14 Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Manual temp control actuators used 4 wires, while the auto zone control uses two. At least according to Rockauto.
mak_v8 likes this.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2021, 05:29 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

OK, effectively the OP said "'04 WJ Laredo with MTC" that I imagine is Manual Temperature Control.

What I still can't undertand is why the "AC box in the pictures" shows he had separate blend doors for driver and passenger sides; looking at that box and at the cut to the center plastic that separates the two zones, I thought he was talking about dual zone temperature control.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
^^^^DITTO^^^^^

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #11 of 14 Old 09-24-2021, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
The actuator (the motor) probably has a mechanical limit inside, the two marks probably indicate this.
You could try to supply the actuator alone, without blend doors connected, and look if it stops.
The original WJ actuators, when supplied alone without blend doors, keep turning and turning.

As WJ60 said, if that actuator does not match the WJ, probably the cause is this.

The previous actuator stopped working?
That's what I'm trying to figure out, I thought it was a blend door issue and replaced it. Will try the actuator-motor off of the blend door shaft and see what I've got. Thanks.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-24-2021, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
OK, effectively the OP said "'04 WJ Laredo with MTC" that I imagine is Manual Temperature Control.

What I still can't undertand is why the "AC box in the pictures" shows he had separate blend doors for driver and passenger sides; looking at that box and at the cut to the center plastic that separates the two zones, I thought he was talking about dual zone temperature control.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Everything I've seen online shows that there is a separator and two doors on both systems, the manual temperature control like mine and the dual zone system. My understanding is that the manual(mine) has the one actuator right behind the glove box liner and that both doors share a common shaft. The dual zone has two actuators, one at the front and one buried behind the system that controls the back door, both doors functioning independently.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-25-2021, 12:55 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Every time i have done these blend doors, I have had to let the system reset and adjust itself at the travel stops at each end. It SHOULD correct itself on its own in a short bit of use. However, I have only done the blend doors on the AZC system, so maybe its different? On my Jeeps, you can hear the system cycling through its own self test procedure everytime you shut the Jeep off. (which keeps the doors traveling correctly i assume)

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #14 of 14 Old 09-26-2021, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
sqrlhntr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Every time i have done these blend doors, I have had to let the system reset and adjust itself at the travel stops at each end. It SHOULD correct itself on its own in a short bit of use. However, I have only done the blend doors on the AZC system, so maybe its different? On my Jeeps, you can hear the system cycling through its own self test procedure everytime you shut the Jeep off. (which keeps the doors traveling correctly i assume)
Everything I've seen online points to resetting the AZC system, pulling the number 15 fuse from the power box under the hood. Nothing I've seen indicates that this works for the manual system, maybe it's worth a shot. On a side note, I've got a new actuator on the way from Rock Auto. Maybe I'll figure it out, if not I'll pull the actuator and tie the doors in the fully upright position. This isn't my daily, it's my hunting/hauling/running a newspaper route on day a week Jeep.
WJ60 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in