Best cold weather battery - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

Best cold weather battery

It's time to get a new battery!
I live in a place where the temps. will get to as low as - 40F during winter mornings. Last year we reached right around - 60F for a day or 2. A bit abnormal but the year before that was similar. I understand nearly nothing mechanical or electrical is truly meant to survive that but it's the reality of my location sometimes.
I'm leaning towards either Diehard or Odyssey AGM batteries. However, I'm not convinced they are any better or worse in cold climates vs. lead acid.
I've already watched project farm's video on a few batteries so no need to post that. I'd rather hear some personal experiences

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 02:38 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anything made in the USA that is in the top teir of their products.
I have a Northstar that I love but it's also a $380 battery.
Deka makes good stuff

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 03:09 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You want the largetst Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rated battery that will fit. For Minnesota winters I get the best and biggest NAPA battery for my vehicles. Cheap batteries are cheap for reason. A block heater or oil pan heater makes the starting much easier and helps get the passenger cabin warm sooner.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You want the largetst Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rated battery that will fit. For Minnesota winters I get the best and biggest NAPA battery for my vehicles. Cheap batteries are cheap for reason. A block heater or oil pan heater makes the starting much easier and helps get the passenger cabin warm sooner.
I did have a block heater for a while. Went through 3 of them and 5 re-installs between them to discovering they don't sit deep enough in the block to make a good enough seal. Any ideas there would be cool.
In terms of batteries, price is little object for me.
How many CCAs do you see in the batteries you get?
post #5 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 03:30 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Northstar has over 1100 CCA
Anything that is 850 would make you a happy camper.
Buy your battery local from a dealer that sells nothing but automotive electrical equipment, such as batteries and starters.
Don't be afraid to find a heavy truck or equipment dealer to get you a good USA made battery.

This is the one I have it has one of the best warranties in the business

https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm31

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #6 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
My Northstar has over 1100 CCA
Anything that is 850 would make you a happy camper.
Buy your battery local from a dealer that sells nothing but automotive electrical equipment, such as batteries and starters.
Don't be afraid to find a heavy truck or equipment dealer to get you a good USA made battery.

This is the one I have it has one of the best warranties in the business

http://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm31
Maybe I should be more specific on the "price is little object" statement lol. $400 seems pretty steep for a battery. However, if the value is truly there, I'm all for it. Just seems a bit much for what you get.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 04:21 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The NorthStar was about $250 at Batteries + 6 months ago.
Rubicon has a new one and the WJs is over 7 years old.
If you have Farm and Fleet near you the Duration AGM is also good. I put a new one in the dune Jeep only cause it was 7 years old and is now doing duty in the motorhomes house battery. About $160
I am sold on AGMs.
Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #8 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 04:24 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

For $380 hopefully you get assault too. Fortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing.

Really, you'd be well-served with a dual battery setup. You could have a switching mechanism and basically double your CCA as needed or simply run the second battery as a spare.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #9 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
For $380 hopefully you get assault too. Fortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing.

Really, you'd be well-served with a dual battery setup. You could have a switching mechanism and basically double your CCA as needed or simply run the second battery as a spare.
Dual battery is a plan in the future. I need to work on a number of other things first. Plus, I don't have the accessories that would really call for it. Not to mention where I would put the second one though I have some pretty good ideas. Everything I install, I want to look factory. Tough to do with somethings but as close as I can get.
I have a fleet and a farm near me (fleet farm &#x1f60b I'll do a little research there.
What was the $250 Northstar exactly?
post #10 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 04:49 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Ravenworks has a good point, Most semi truck batteries are designed to take abuse. If your worried about starting your Jeep in those temps, thing about those poor suckers with Semi trucks trying to do the same. Anyone that has experience with Semi Truck batteries will know how to get a good one. Maybe a 380.00 battery isnt needed, but I have bought alot of batteries over the years with 1000CCAs for 100-150.00(even 200 bucks wouldnt be outrageous) bucks a piece. Granted they are paired up, or even tripled up at times, but im betting that one would spin that WJ over easily. Just need one with the correct physical dims...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #11 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

So looking a little bit more at Northstar, I found NSB-AGM65 which seems comparable to Odyssey's 65-PC1750T.
Is it really worth finding something higher than 900-some CCA?
post #12 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 06:16 PM
speednjay

I’m from Wisconsin and I always had good luck with fitting the biggest battery I had room for, even if I had to put a bigger tray in. Something around 1000cca. Then it was finding a reliable battery with a good Warranty. Costco .. sams club usually had the best one. But keeping your car really maintained will pull more weight than the biggest battery you can find. Put in high quality Synthetic oils, fresh spark plugs, wires, grounds,...etc
post #13 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 06:19 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Only if you count on the extra as reserve when its cold.(which i do). I cant remember the exact math, but there is a formula that shows the CCA loss at low temperatures. It's something like a 800CCA battery becomes more like a 600CCA battery below 0 degrees(something similar) So....If you get the biggest battery you can possibly fit, you will still be more likely to start your Jeep at the lowest temps.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #14 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Hipmusicman

So with possibly wanting a little more CCA in mind, it seems we are down to group size that actually fits the WJ. Without fitting a different tray, what have we been able to fit? 65 is stock.
I can do a new tray if I absolutely need to but I really don't think I need to be going that far in terms of effort.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-25-2020, 07:30 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I'm using a Kirkland battery. We also get cold winters and you can also run a battery blanket.

I currently am only using an oil pan heater and its been that way about a year now and just that got me through almost a week of -50 all by itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in