Belt keeps jumping off - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2021, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

Hey guys got an odd problem. Three days ago noticed a belt squeal. Started it up yesterday and it was screamin. Drove maybe 30 feet and the belt popped off. Thought it was tensioner but it's only a year a old and is a Mopar parts, seems to have good tension when I pull it back. I can get belt routed and property seated but soon as I start it jumps off.

While underneath it seems like the belt coming from the power steering to the crank isn't aligned? Is this right? I don't remember it being this way before? Any ideas as to what it the problem? No pulleys are noisy. What could cause the belt to keep jumping like that?

(Edit). I think my harmonic balancer is shot. Can someone take a pic of yours from the bottom?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210919_161208241_1632093655682.jpg  

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2021, 06:04 PM
darkstarmoto
2004 WJ 

Your balancer is coming apart...note it's not lined up. Don't keep trying....
post #3 of 11 Old 09-19-2021, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Your balancer is coming apart...note it's not lined up. Don't keep trying....
Thanks man. It's crazy because I never had any issues before and trying to get the belt on was a pain. Now I know why haha. How can I tell if it's just the pulley or the whole assembly?

post #4 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 12:25 AM
Delta0

I daresay you won't get the whole answer until you take the damper off Beetle
post #5 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 05:42 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
It is actually 2 parts separated by rubber and coming apart is not that uncommon. It is the reason if one is drag racing the harmonic balancer must be an approved part. In the old days it was easy to tell when it first started when a tune up was given, the timing mark would not be where it was supposed to be. Now that timing lights are long obsolete the problem doesn't show itself until things like this start happening.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 06:01 AM
darkstarmoto
2004 WJ 

post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

Thanks everyone for their replies. What would a mechanic charge to fix this? Normally I do my own stuff but just moved to NV and don't have my tools. I know the pulley is about 50 bucks but what about labor?

Crazy part is, the last month I've been thinking my engine had a little more vibration that normal but thought it was in my head.....hahaha 🙄.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 11:14 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
It is pretty tight in there, I pulled mine after pulling the radiator however looking at in now I'm sure it can be pulled without removing those things, at least on the 4.7, I don't know about a 4.0 though.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 12:31 PM
YeepinBlue

2001 WJ 

Garage
I replaced mine when I swapped engines so it was pretty easy, in your situation you would probably just need to remove your fans and shroud. You just need a harmonic balancer puller tool (can rent from a parts store). Mine had 180k miles and it still pulled off pretty easy, however I live in Texas and there isn't the rust issue here, you may need a bigger wrench if that is an issue for you.

I wouldn't imagine a shop would charge more than 2 hours of labor. Maybe $250 total.

Keep Yeepin!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

Thanks guys for the responses. Got a quote of 230 which I'm going to go with. Now for the real question. The shop is .7 miles from my house, would it be ok to drive there? I know water pump and alt aren't working so it'll get hot.

post #11 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 02:12 PM
YeepinBlue

2001 WJ 

Garage
I personally wouldn't, however if you don't have much choice, keep an eye on the temp the whole way and turn off all electronics (a/c, lights etc.) as the battery will only last a short time without the alternator powering everything. The biggest draw of power while running is going to be the electric cooling fan. Keep in mind the shop may charge a fee for charging your battery up if you kill it on the way there.

Alternatively, I would check to see if your auto insurance has towing coverage, a lot of people have it and have no idea they do.

Keep Yeepin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in