Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Belt keeps jumping off

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  YeepinBlue 
#1 ·
Hey guys got an odd problem. Three days ago noticed a belt squeal. Started it up yesterday and it was screamin. Drove maybe 30 feet and the belt popped off. Thought it was tensioner but it's only a year a old and is a Mopar parts, seems to have good tension when I pull it back. I can get belt routed and property seated but soon as I start it jumps off.

While underneath it seems like the belt coming from the power steering to the crank isn't aligned? Is this right? I don't remember it being this way before? Any ideas as to what it the problem? No pulleys are noisy. What could cause the belt to keep jumping like that?

(Edit). I think my harmonic balancer is shot. Can someone take a pic of yours from the bottom?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man. It's crazy because I never had any issues before and trying to get the belt on was a pain. Now I know why haha. How can I tell if it's just the pulley or the whole assembly?

#5 ·
It is actually 2 parts separated by rubber and coming apart is not that uncommon. It is the reason if one is drag racing the harmonic balancer must be an approved part. In the old days it was easy to tell when it first started when a tune up was given, the timing mark would not be where it was supposed to be. Now that timing lights are long obsolete the problem doesn't show itself until things like this start happening.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for their replies. What would a mechanic charge to fix this? Normally I do my own stuff but just moved to NV and don't have my tools. I know the pulley is about 50 bucks but what about labor?

Crazy part is, the last month I've been thinking my engine had a little more vibration that normal but thought it was in my head.....hahaha 🙄.

#8 ·
It is pretty tight in there, I pulled mine after pulling the radiator however looking at in now I'm sure it can be pulled without removing those things, at least on the 4.7, I don't know about a 4.0 though.

#9 ·
I replaced mine when I swapped engines so it was pretty easy, in your situation you would probably just need to remove your fans and shroud. You just need a harmonic balancer puller tool (can rent from a parts store). Mine had 180k miles and it still pulled off pretty easy, however I live in Texas and there isn't the rust issue here, you may need a bigger wrench if that is an issue for you.

I wouldn't imagine a shop would charge more than 2 hours of labor. Maybe $250 total.

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Got a quote of 230 which I'm going to go with. Now for the real question. The shop is .7 miles from my house, would it be ok to drive there? I know water pump and alt aren't working so it'll get hot.

#11 ·
I personally wouldn't, however if you don't have much choice, keep an eye on the temp the whole way and turn off all electronics (a/c, lights etc.) as the battery will only last a short time without the alternator powering everything. The biggest draw of power while running is going to be the electric cooling fan. Keep in mind the shop may charge a fee for charging your battery up if you kill it on the way there.

Alternatively, I would check to see if your auto insurance has towing coverage, a lot of people have it and have no idea they do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.