The Beat Goes On- The Myth of the one owner, low mileage Jeep - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

The Beat Goes On- The Myth of the one owner, low mileage Jeep

If you have been reading my threads. I purchased an 04 Overland recently. One owner relatively low mileage at 136,300. It has been groaning when I turn left and right into streets and into my driveway. I changed out the T Case fluid today. It didn't look like it was old, but I drained only 1 quart. I'm guessing it must have had a leak at one time the seal where the rear shaft goes into it. There were black stains on the tail of the case. I put in just under 2 quarts. I filled it until it started leaking out of the fill hole. This is a tough question to answer with any accuracy, but can anybody venture a guess if they think the T Case is ruined from running a quart low? This is the harder to find, one owner, serviced mostly buy the dealer, low mileage WJ we are all looking for. So far with the issues that I am finding. I am not impressed. I didnt want a huge project and I have decided to sell it as soon as the new title comes in. Tomorrow I am going to change the rear axle fluid out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 AM
speednjay

I have the same Jeep. The groaning is most likely from the varilok axles. Mine does it.pretty normal as far as I know even with fresh fluid and the friction stuff

My steering wheel also makes a groan. I think it’s from the vinyl rubbing together. My dad also has a 04 overland he bought bran new dealer maintained. Same stuff.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I bought my 04 4.7 Limited at 74K miles in 2012. I did some basic maintenance and changed all the fluids out using mostly Mopar fluids.

Shortly after turning over 100K the rear axle started groaning on turns. I thought for sure something was wrong with these vari-lok axles but all it was is the friction modifier had broken down approaching 30K miles. I changed the fluid in both axles, added the correct amount of Mopar friction modifier, and within a week all the groaning was gone.

You may not want to be so quick in getting rid of it and good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Thanks UNIBLURB. I also have a 2000 with the Vari-lok axels. When I bought it 6 years ago I changed out the fluids in both axles and TCase and it hasnt made any groans or skipping since then. Its been about 28k since then and I experience that intermittently now, so you may be right. I'm not sure if I will still keep it but it might be a hard sell if the noise doesn't go away once I do the axels.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

My Vari-loks also needed new friction modifier right around 30K miles after I last changed the lube.

If your T-case isn't making any undue "failing-bearing" kinds of noises, then I wouldn't be terribly worried about it being low on lubricant. While not ideal, I would think that there is a lot of leeway built into the requirements. The gears and chain would have still been slinging the lube around quite well. If the rest of the rig is really in good condition, I wouldn't be too quick to dump it. Even if the t-case dies on you, it's around $250 for one from a junkyard and perhaps 2 hours to swap.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Thanks. That was my rationale as well. But. I have been wrong before. On another note. Has anybody found a Rear Diff Gasket for the Dana 44 on these WJ's? The last time I did the fluid change in my 2000 I used the sealer, which is fine. But it requires a 24 hour curing which I want to avoid. I do see gaskets available but they match to the 44 but to Wrangler Dana 44.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
Thanks. That was my rationale as well. But. I have been wrong before. On another note. Has anybody found a Rear Diff Gasket for the Dana 44 on these WJ's? The last time I did the fluid change in my 2000 I used the sealer, which is fine. But it requires a 24 hour curing which I want to avoid. I do see gaskets available but they match to the 44 but to Wrangler Dana 44.
Lubelocker gasket works well but a little pricey. Advertised as reusable ... mine sealed great on first & second use but started seeping after the third service. Do not recall seeing another option on the market other than make-your-own with silicone.

https://www.lubelocker.com/collectio...-44a-llr-d44hd
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lub-llr-d44hd

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #8 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 01:18 PM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

For a gasket I use a good quality RTV. I usually only let it set up 30 min to an hour (drain one, reseal, drain the other, add lube to the 1st one, etc.). I haven't had one leak in a long time as long as I get all the old sealer off and the surface is dry for the new RTV.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

I do the same as @MuloChico . It's been working fine for me for the last 40 years or so.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

The Permatex differential RTV says let it cure over night, "before filling" the diff. So you guys are saying just let it sit for 30minutes, reassemble and fill it up? You don't wait?
post #11 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
we sometimes get a roll of gasket material, and lay it out on a bench. taking the cleaned diff cover, we trace an outline of the outside diameter, and all of the bolt holes. trace a second line inside the first one, to replicate the mounting flange/surface. cut it out with an x-acto knife. use a short piece of copper pipe of appropriate diameter, and sharpen the edge lightly with a file. use it to punch out the holes for the bolts. spray your gasket sealer/cement on both sides, and let it get tacky. install your new custom gasket.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #12 of 18 Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I also have the lube locker gaskets and so far i love them, but have not had them off since the initial install. I look ofrward however, to not having to scrap all the RTV off next time Im in there. I odnt have the Vari-lok axles in this Jeep, so it may be a while before i have to swap fluids.

I have done both procedures with the RTV. Meaning i have cleaned everything up, reassembled the cover with fresh clean RTV, and waited until the next day to fill with fluid. Never had a leak this way. I have also applied the RTV to the cover, and let it set unassembled for about 20-30 minutes, then installed the cover while leaving the bolts slightly loose for about an hr. Then went back under and tightened to spec, and filled the diff with fluid. Never had a leak this way either.....The lube-locker lets you bolt it up, refill, and go driving....FWIW

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #13 of 18 Old 08-13-2020, 02:18 PM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
The Permatex differential RTV says let it cure over night, "before filling" the diff. So you guys are saying just let it sit for 30minutes, reassemble and fill it up? You don't wait?
I do something along the lines of put the RTV on the cover (going around each bolt hole. Very important, for some reason the only ones I've seen leak [a friend] he didn't go around the holes), then put the cover on snugging them up by hand. By this time I am ready for a few minute break. After the beverage of your choice, tighten them up. I do have several sizes of torque wrenches and do torque to spec (30 ft lb if I'm not mistaken using criss-cross pattern)

Then I go to the other axle, drain, clean and install the other cover the same way. I go to the 1st axle and fill it. When I'm done I go to the 2nd axle and fill it.

I don't usually have the time for waiting 24 hours. I might get a little moisture discoloration (Leak?) by the time it is due for the next fill, but no "leaks".

I am considering a Lube Locker as it would be cleaner and easier when changing fluid, I just haven't got to it yet.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-13-2020, 06:12 PM
VNT

2002 WJ 

Get the mopar gray RTV, best sealant for diffs, give it a half hour to set up, make sure surfaces are clean. Refill, will not leak, techs cant wait overnight to change fluids.

change all the fluids with good synthetic, I use Amsoil severe gear or Redline , 75w-140 both have the friction modifier. if you need to can add more/
blueseasons1 likes this.

86 Daytona 00 Durango 02 WJ
05 PT GT 06 PT GT 06 PT
15 WK2 17 Challenger 18 Sahara 20 Rubicon
post #15 of 18 Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
I'll 3rd the LubeLocker gaskets. Got them on both diffs & the transmission on my current WJ. Pricey but worth it to me.

2004 WJ Overland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in