Battery draining - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
04blackwj

Battery draining

Guys,

Been awhile since I have been on here. I finally have a day off of work tomorrow and I gotta figure out what is draining my battery in my 04 jeep wj.

I don't have any aftermarket stuff on my Jeep and it's a brand new battery. Classic case of if I don't drive it for 4-5 days the battery is dead.

Im gonna hook up my amp meter and start pulling fuses tomorrow to see if I can track it down.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same problem on your wj that might make tracking the problem down to faster.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-03-2020, 08:06 PM
99AZWJ

1999 WJ 

Garage
Thumbs up

I had this problem and, it could be the actual battery cables them self. They get old and get buildup. You can clean them and it slowed the problem for me. I ended up just buying a new set of battery connectors on amazon cheap, and ditched the stock ones. It solved the problem. Hope that helps.

1999 WJ 4.7 Limited 4x4
post #3 of 34 Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Remember to keep the doors closed and lights timed out before you start checking for the draw. It can be a little difficult to access the fuse block under the dash while doing this.....

I have read several different accounts of people having trouble with the door and rear hatch latches not closing and shutting off the lights. Usually the overhead display tells you this....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
04blackwj

So doing some testing and my Jeep is pulling around 3.5 amps when completely off. When I pull the 50 amp fuse labeled #15 junction box in the engine bay it drops to around 2.5 amps. It's the only fuse that makes the meter react at all. I put #15 back in its spot went to check out the fuse box under the steering wheel.

I went in the Jeep and made sure all doors were shut and had the wife hold the prongs on the meter. I pulled #5 25 amp fuse labeled radio/amp and it's the only fuse that makes it drop to around 2.5 amps.

I feel like that's too much draw on a completely dead Jeep.

This Jeep is completely stock besides for a lift kit and some bigger tires.

My radio display went out a few months before this battery drain started to happen. It has to be the culprit but not sure what to do next...
post #5 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
You have a major battery drain with 3.5 amps. even still with 2.5 amps. You are trying to get it down below 200MiliAmps to be safe. Not to be a smart A%&, but are you sure your reading the meter correctly? If you had 3.5 MA, it would be much more manageable.....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
You have a major battery drain with 3.5 amps. even still with 2.5 amps. You are trying to get it down below 200MiliAmps to be safe. Not to be a smart A%&, but are you sure your reading the meter correctly? If you had 3.5 MA, it would be much more manageable.....

ahhh,yeah !!

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #7 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackwj View Post
So doing some testing and my Jeep is pulling around 3.5 amps when completely off. When I pull the 50 amp fuse labeled #15 junction box in the engine bay it drops to around 2.5 amps. It's the only fuse that makes the meter react at all. I put #15 back in its spot went to check out the fuse box under the steering wheel.

I went in the Jeep and made sure all doors were shut and had the wife hold the prongs on the meter. I pulled #5 25 amp fuse labeled radio/amp and it's the only fuse that makes it drop to around 2.5 amps.

I feel like that's too much draw on a completely dead Jeep.

This Jeep is completely stock besides for a lift kit and some bigger tires.

My radio display went out a few months before this battery drain started to happen. It has to be the culprit but not sure what to do next...
How long did you let it sit before testing everything?

Just for clarification, you pulled every fuse inside and out(PDC) and didn’t open the door while doing the test?

Edit: You’re 100% certain the test was done right and the meter was in series?
post #8 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
04blackwj

In the engine bay fuse box there are like 4- 50 junction box fuses. With each fuse I pull the amperage goes down little by little.

Inside the vehicle I can only find 1 fuse location. That is under the steering column.

When I pull the 25 amp fuse for radio/amp it drops from 3.59 to 2.5.That is the only fuse that makes it drop. I pulled one by one.

I opened up the stereo counsel and disconnected the head. That makes it drop from 3.59 to 2.5.

Not sure what else to do I might throw the towel in and take it to a real mechanic.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
04blackwj

Oh and guys it's a brand new battery and yes I made sure the doors were closed the entire time so that the lights in the vehicle were not trying to start through my meter.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
In the engine bay fuse box there are like 4- 50 junction box fuses. With each fuse I pull the amperage goes down little by little.

Inside the vehicle I can only find 1 fuse location. That is under the steering column.

When I pull the 25 amp fuse for radio/amp it drops from 3.59 to 2.5.That is the only fuse that makes it drop. I pulled one by one.

I opened up the stereo counsel and disconnected the head. That makes it drop from 3.59 to 2.5.

Not sure what else to do I might throw the towel in and take it to a real mechanic.
How long did you let it sit after running before you started the test? The vehicle needs time to go into sleep mode.

Are you 100% sure you have the amp meter hooked up properly?
post #11 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
04blackwj

100% sure JGC...

Brand new battery worked great for like a month when I drove it every other day. But now that we are all in quarantine I don't drive it at all during the week so it sits for 4-5 days and it's dead by the weekend.

Meter is hooked up correctly.

Charged the battery and it's at 12.6v which is good.

I have the positive side hooked up to the positive side and disconnected the black side. I waited about a half hour before testing. I set my meter to DC amps and have 1 probe touching the negative cable and the other probe touch the negative on the battery it reads 3.59 with nothing on and doors have not been opened.

Like I said disconnected 1 fuse at a time and told you guys what I found. I can only narrow it down to when I unplug the stereo head unit it drops down to 2.5.

When I unplug the whole PDC it drops to 0. But that really doesn't tell me much. When I unplug each of the junction box 50 fuses the amp reading slowly drops. There are like 4 -50 junction box fuses
post #12 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 01:22 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
100% sure JGC...

Brand new battery worked great for like a month when I drove it every other day. But now that we are all in quarantine I don't drive it at all during the week so it sits for 4-5 days and it's dead by the weekend.

Meter is hooked up correctly.

Charged the battery and it's at 12.6v which is good.

I have the positive side hooked up to the positive side and disconnected the black side. I waited about a half hour before testing. I set my meter to DC amps and have 1 probe touching the negative cable and the other probe touch the negative on the battery it reads 3.59 with nothing on and doors have not been opened.

Like I said disconnected 1 fuse at a time and told you guys what I found. I can only narrow it down to when I unplug the stereo head unit it drops down to 2.5.

When I unplug the whole PDC it drops to 0. But that really doesn't tell me much. When I unplug each of the junction box 50 fuses the amp reading slowly drops. There are like 4 -50 junction box fuses
Unplug the PDC?
post #13 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
04blackwj

"Power Distribution Center" PDC you can unplug/unbolt it from the battery cable. There are 2 nuts that hold the cable onto the PDC
post #14 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 01:38 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
"Power Distribution Center" PDC you can unplug/unbolt it from the battery cable. There are 2 nuts that hold the cable onto the PDC
Got it. Wasn’t sure if you meant that or removing everything.
post #15 of 34 Old 04-04-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
04blackwj

Think I found the problem... Orange and black wire.

This is the boot between the body and driver side door that holds the wires
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200404_141903791_1586029473205.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in