Backwards oil pressure after replacing sending unit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
gonzo350

Backwards oil pressure after replacing sending unit?

2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7 After a few minutes of driving and the engine fully came up to temp my oil pressure (per the gauge) would drop to zero at idle after only a few seconds and then come back up to normal pressure once I resumed driving. Oil pressure sending unit right? Replaced the sending unit and now I have the opposite problem! Normal pressure at idle, drop to zero when driving! No strange noises, oil level is full, no leaks....no idea!? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Return the sender to where you purchased it and get a replacement.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
gonzo350

LOL I would, but it was the last one in stock, and of course they're closed now. Think its just a bad unit?

post #4 of 11 Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
elmer_fud

1995 ZJ 

wrong sensor

take it back, and take the old one with you or copy any numbers you can down any numbers you can find

Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
jeepfixer

Same Problem

I have the same exact problem with my 01 GC Limited 4.7 Difference is I put in 2 new sending units and they don't fix the problem. I even confirmed the latest new one at NAPA with the parts guy via the computer and the book. I am now thinking it is a faulty gauge in the cluster but any other ideas prior to ripping out the dash would be helpful.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
tlakael13

Hi, y'all. I was having the same problem on my 01 GC Lmt 4.7; sometimes it would to zero and then back up to normal...then, it stopped doing it for a while....a year later, it came back....two weeks ago,I replaced the unit, but it continued doing the same thing until two days ago....it now stays a zero. I checked the oil level, and it is OK. There is no weird noise, and it sounds good. How much should I tighten the unit? Maybe I over did it. I already have 191K miles on it. Do I have to take in for a rebuild? Well, thanks for this great forum and its members; it has helped me out many times. I appreciate the help and time.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Stop buying parts store senders. More often then not they don't agree with jeeps. Mopar only.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfixer View Post
I even confirmed the latest new one at NAPA
That's your problem. I've never had good parts or good service or good prices at NAPA.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #9 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
autoposer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Having the same problem. After replacing with NAPA sending unit pressure drops to 0 with acceleration. Old one only dropped to 0 at idle every once and a while. Did anyone here have success when changing back to the Mopar brand?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
narnwv
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
That's your problem. I've never had good parts or good service or good prices at NAPA.
x2 NAPA sucks. I've never got anything from them for any vehicle that was worth a crap.

~Aaron

post #11 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
autoposer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

In case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I too just proved that Napa sucks. I purchased 3 oil sending units from them. One snapped off at the post and the other two caused my oil pressure to go backwards after install. I finally went and purchased a Mopar one for 300% more money but its now working great...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in