Anyone try the Dorman Replacement coil spring bracket? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-09-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

Anyone try the Dorman Replacement coil spring bracket?

So, I just discovered that the front coil spring mounts are gone on my 02 WJ. I do not own a welder and not real keen on drilling the holes in the perch since the perch is good, it's just the tower that's rusted away. I stumbled across a Dorman part number for an alternate option. The part numbers are 926-078 for the passenger side and 926-079 for the drivers side. These seem to sit on top of the existing perch and use the shock mounting location and the sway bar link mount to hold it in place. I'm just curious if anyone has tried these to know if they are a reasonable solution seeing as though they are less then $50 each

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-10-2019, 11:07 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Damn man. That’s exactly what I need. I don’t know if it works, but at that price I’ll probably try it soon. Need one for my drivers side and I don’t weld.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-10-2019, 11:18 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

In the picture, there’s a hole next to the mount. My guess is for one bolt in the perch. Definitely looks like a nice product.

Edit: My brain is shot. The hole is for the mount location. 🙂

post #4 of 14 Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

I wonder what something like that does to your ride height.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

I don't think it will do much to the height. It looks like it might only be 1/8" thick and sits right on top of the perch. I just ordered the pair and it came out out $106 shipped. I imagine I'm going to have to clean up the remaining debris from the old tower to make this piece sit flat.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 04:17 PM
WJeepster
2001 WJ 

Picture?

2001 WJ, 4.0, 242TC, tow, 93K, Akebonos & rusty fender arches
post #7 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

Waiting for delivery
post #8 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 11:02 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
You guys don't think those need to be welded in? At least a few tacks? I'd say off road where you have sway bars disconnected and flexed you'd only have the shock mounts keeping it in but the metal is so thin I could see it bending and being pulled up by the spring as the axle droops out. Around town going around a corner the inside sway bar mount will want to pull that up. It does look like a nice product but I think welding it in is going to be the proper way to install it.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
You guys don't think those need to be welded in? At least a few tacks? I'd say off road where you have sway bars disconnected and flexed you'd only have the shock mounts keeping it in but the metal is so thin I could see it bending and being pulled up by the spring as the axle droops out. Around town going around a corner the inside sway bar mount will want to pull that up. It does look like a nice product but I think welding it in is going to be the proper way to install it.
I don't have a sway bar disconnect yet but thought that the WJ kit installs a pin in the lower mount that stays in place. That there is a spacer where the factory sway bar mounts and the disconnect is a pin that extends outboard from the tabs. So disconnecting the sway bar wouldn't have an impact on this bolt-on spring bracket.

It does look really thin though. And if they are $50 each, can get the IRO kit for $50 for both and pay someone else to weld them in. Might be cheaper and definitely more substantial.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 12:05 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
My point about the sway bar is that if you don't weld it in the shock mount and sway bar connector are the only things keeping it in place other than the weight of the vehicle of course. I realize most people don't wheel their WJ or have disconnects but thought it was worth pointing out. I have a long arm kit on mine and it'll flex so much the spring just falls out without something to prevent it so I'd definitely weld it at least tack it in my case. You can get a decent flux core 125A welder from harbor freight for $100 comes with everything you need. Just plug it in and go.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-13-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

Ok, some clarification, I discovered my issue while the Jeep was in my garage and I did try to reinstall the spring and isolator to try to limp the Jeep back to town for proper welding. The spring would not stay in place and would slide out and start to fold over the isolator. Not safe to drive. So my options became limited. I did look at purchasing an inexpensive welder (not harbor freight, I don't like having to purchase things multiple times) but in the grand scheme I may be looking into upgrading Axel's in the next few years. I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the perch because that creates a much larger surface area for rust. Then I stumbled across these Dorman mounts that require neither welding or drilling holes. I do agree that the metal appears quite thin but I will not be doing any sever articulation and so the extension of the spring will never completely unload weight from the perch. Having proper shocks for your ride height will limit your springs from ever lifting off the perch. The sway bar mounting point and the shock mounting point will not twist on turns or you would have ripped the tabs off the axel already. The tower that is rotten off and this part replaces only serves the purpose of preventing the spring of walking sideways. And it does not take 1/4" thick steel to accomplish that. This gives me the opportunity to try out a product the way it was designed and see if it is a reasonable solution for someone to do themselves without expensive tools. Then the durability test will take place with mostly on road use and mild trail riding. If I can get these mounts to last till either I upgrade Axel's or perform other suspension upgrades that warrant a more robust mount.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

So the brackets showed up this evening, they are made from 1/8" treated steel. The welds on the bracket for the sway bar mount are less then spectacular but I can see that they did penetrate through the plate and should be ok. The weld for the spring tower is a bit nicer. The bracket does not flex very easily and weighs in at 1.75lbs. I will try to get at least the passenger side installed tonight and fill you in on the fitment
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191113_193742830_1573692024688.jpg  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

Installation was fairly straight forward and easy. There will be a decent amount of grinder work involved to remove the old weld from the tower as well as the built up rust scale. I was surprised with how much scale I had considering my Jeep was a Florida resident till I purchased it 2 weeks ago. First thing I did was to unbolt the brake line bracket and the speed sensor bracket to get them away from the grinder. The mount needs to sit flat for all the holes to line up properly. After about 10 test fits and plenty of grinding till I hit bare metal it was flat. I highly recommend some sort of rust inhibitor at this point. Then set the Dorman mount on top, reinstall the speed sensor bracket and brake line bracket. Now I bolted in the bottom of the shock (note: you may need longer bolts for your shocks now. 1" was not long enough) Now your ready to reinstall the isolator and spring, and then the top of your shock and the sway bar end link. Job complete.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191112_203437686_1573729504750.jpg   IMG_20191112_210655054_1573729551232.jpg   IMG_20191112_211136701_1573729586486.jpg   IMG_20191113_205146538_1573729649113.jpg  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
cheapwjdaily

Also worth mentioning! I think this is a worth while product as long as the spring perch is in good shape. I would not recommend this if the perch is collapsed or has excessive wear or rot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in