Any tips on changing the coil springs? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mattyjm
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 138
Any tips on changing the coil springs?

The directions look pretty simple and straightforward. Any tips not included in the directions?

JGCJeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 4,244
Don't know what the directions say, but the safest way to change the coil springs is to remove the calipers, disconnect the track bar, driveshaft and sway bar links, and lower the axle until the springs are free.
AVR2 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler
 
Mattyjm's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 1,774
Garage
I removed my shocks and sway bar links. I did not remove or loosen any control arms or dive shafts. I don't think I removed my calipers. I had the whole Jeep up on jack stands. I used a floor jack to jack up one side far enough so that the other side would go down and release the spring. Installation is opposite of removal.

It was actually a lot easier than what I thought. No spring compressors were involved, either. I was working alone and wondered how violently the spring was going to release. Not at all, actually. They come out easy.

2000 Laredo. Now a donor vehicle to my
2002 Laredo. Baloo. Currently a work in progress.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
Mattyjm is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Don't know what the directions say, but the safest way to change the coil springs is to remove the calipers, disconnect the track bar, driveshaft and sway bar links, and lower the axle until the springs are free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
I removed my shocks and sway bar links. I did not remove or loosen any control arms or dive shafts. I don't think I removed my calipers. I had the whole Jeep up on jack stands. I used a floor jack to jack up one side far enough so that the other side would go down and release the spring. Installation is opposite of removal.

It was actually a lot easier than what I thought. No spring compressors were involved, either. I was working alone and wondered how violently the spring was going to release. Not at all, actually. They come out easy.
That’s pretty much what the directions say. 🙂 Thank you.
JGCJeep is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler
 
Mattyjm's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 1,774
Garage
I had it on jack stands on good sub frame points on a level concrete garage floor. Don't take that step lightly. A good friend lent four heavy duty jack stands to me in place of a lift. Safety is paramount when doing anything because if I'm injured or dead, I'm no good to my family AND I'll be injured OR dead, which is not how I want to be.
99sajeep likes this.

2000 Laredo. Now a donor vehicle to my
2002 Laredo. Baloo. Currently a work in progress.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
Mattyjm is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 PM
singletrack100
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Springerville
Posts: 86
Replace all rubber isolators while doing the job. Also be prepared to find your front spring perches rotted- can be repaired.
singletrack100 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack100 View Post
Replace all rubber isolators while doing the job. Also be prepared to find your front spring perches rotted- can be repaired.
How does it get repaired?
JGCJeep is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 AM
singletrack100
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Springerville
Posts: 86
JGCJeep, if your perches are rotted there are a few things that can be done. You can order replacement perch kits from Iron Rock Offroad or some other outfit and have them welded on. If your handy with metal work and welding you can clean up the area and replace with tubing of suitable size. All repairs removal of rusted/rotted material and welding new perches in. This is a common thing with WJ's so there's lot's of info online by searching.
singletrack100 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 PM
sparky636
Registered User
 
sparky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: BAKERSFIELD
Posts: 16
Garage
I have not had to remove calipers for front or rear. Are you lifting or just replacing factory?

-Jeepin aint easy-
sparky636 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 01:27 AM
BigMateo
Newbie
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky636 View Post
I have not had to remove calipers for front or rear. Are you lifting or just replacing factory?
Neither did I.

Just did this earlier today this earlier today in fact, I just loosened the shock, sway bar links, and took the track bar out since I'm replacing it anyways. Loosened the bolts on the lower control arms a little and they popped right out really easy. I didn't even need a spring compressor to get my new taller springs back in either.
BigMateo is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky636 View Post
I have not had to remove calipers for front or rear. Are you lifting or just replacing factory?
Just replacing.
JGCJeep is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack100 View Post
JGCJeep, if your perches are rotted there are a few things that can be done. You can order replacement perch kits from Iron Rock Offroad or some other outfit and have them welded on. If your handy with metal work and welding you can clean up the area and replace with tubing of suitable size. All repairs removal of rusted/rotted material and welding new perches in. This is a common thing with WJ's so there's lot's of info online by searching.
Thanks for the info. 🙂
JGCJeep is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 04:56 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 4,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMateo View Post
Neither did I.
It's a very long time since I did it, and I had vague memories of removing the calipers because otherwise the brake hoses prevented the axle drooping enough to let the top of the springs come completely clear of the frame.

The real takeaway is that you simply need to disconnect enough to let the axle droop to the point where the springs are slowly and safely released without any need to screw around with compressors.
AVR2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive) JeepHammer Jeep CJ Forum 788 03-21-2019 09:20 AM
Which coil springs? williambmac TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 39 10-27-2018 01:46 PM
Coil Springs Awesome YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 17 10-03-2018 08:04 PM
Chasing Gremlins Nereussailor Jeep CJ Forum 11 09-01-2018 05:41 AM
Jeep sitting lopsided after replacing coil springs. Bzwth WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 12 08-07-2018 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome