Anticipating Crankshaft Sensor Failure - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Anticipating Crankshaft Sensor Failure

Risk assessment.

From what I read, crankshaft sensors often fail.

Mine's an '03 with less then 75,000 miles on the clock.
I expect to drive less than 5,000 miles year.
Whilst the plague stalks the country, I daresay I'll drive a lot less than 3,000.

Should I have a spare sensor in the car just in case please?

I live in Merry Old England so importing a just in case OEM sensor would cost me silly money.

Should I get a local cheapo to keep me going just while I import an OEM please?

What are the chances of a cheapo getting me around while I bring an OEM in from the States please?

What are the options I've missed please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 04:37 AM
Darnice
2004 WJ 

I have 300,000 miles on my original cps, so no worry i would say. You can always have it scaned and see if there have been any cps issues in diagnostics if your that concerned. What engine do you have?
Delta0 likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 06:02 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

We only hear about the bad ones here. We don't hear about the millions that never have trouble.
Delta0 likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 06:09 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
As much of a PITA it is changing no matter what the engine, I would not put a generic in. I believe you have an HO 4.7? Changing the sensor on that requires dropping the starter as well and to make things even more fun mine was stuck in the hole, I had to thread a screw into the broken off body to get it out of the block. I will add it was changed only because I was changing the starter anyway and figured while I was down there I would do it as well not knowing the history of the rig, it was working fine until I got a hold of it...
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0202.jpg  
Delta0 likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #5 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
I have 300,000 miles on my original cps, so no worry i would say. You can always have it scaned and see if there have been any cps issues in diagnostics if your that concerned. What engine do you have?
Thanks Darnice, your 300,000 miles is good news.
A 4.7 HO.
As far as I can tell, it's always been treated gently.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
We only hear about the bad ones here. We don't hear about the millions that never have trouble.
Thanks Snowy, that's an excellent point.
And very comforting too.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
As much of a PITA it is changing no matter what the engine, I would not put a generic in. I believe you have an HO 4.7? Changing the sensor on that requires dropping the starter as well and to make things even more fun mine was stuck in the hole, I had to thread a screw into the broken off body to get it out of the block. I will add it was changed only because I was changing the starter anyway and figured while I was down there I would do it as well not knowing the history of the rig, it was working fine until I got a hold of it...
Thanks for the warning about the job being a PITA on an HO.
If it lets me down, I'll get someone with a lift to do it for me.

Thanks for the pic of the broken bit with a screw sticking out.

Thanks also your your advice to avoid a generic.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-13-2021, 10:54 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agree with cDee and I wouldn't waste my money on an aftermarket crank sensor. Whether you have the HO or regular 4.7 the crank sensor is going to be the same. Your 03 4.7 HO uses the same Mopar 56028666AB crank sensor my 04 4.7 (reg) w/120K miles uses.

I bought a spare a few years ago and just don't be shocked when you see the Mopar 56028666AB crank sensor is now made in China. And that's not just because it's being sold by Amazon since you'll see the same sensor from the dealer.

The crank sensor packaging can be seen on the left side of the below link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews are all over the board...

Of all the crank sensors I've seen go bad it was almost always where the ground and power circuits bled together inside the sensor when it went bad. Same is true for brand new sensors I purchased from a local parts store for one of my 4.0 Jeeps and there was resistance between the power & ground cavity pins when there should be none.

Reason I used my ohm meter on the new Mopar 5602666AB crank sensor as soon as I bought it. I didn't even open the package and just poked 2 small holes in the package with my meter probes while it tested good using the below chart procedure.

Your choice if you want a spare crank sensor or not Delta0 and good luck.
Attached Images

Delta0 likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-14-2021, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Agree with cDee and I wouldn't waste my money on an aftermarket crank sensor. Whether you have the HO or regular 4.7 the crank sensor is going to be the same. Your 03 4.7 HO uses the same Mopar 56028666AB crank sensor my 04 4.7 (reg) w/120K miles uses.

I bought a spare a few years ago and just don't be shocked when you see the Mopar 56028666AB crank sensor is now made in China. And that's not just because it's being sold by Amazon since you'll see the same sensor from the dealer.

The crank sensor packaging can be seen on the left side of the below link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews are all over the board...

Of all the crank sensors I've seen go bad it was almost always where the ground and power circuits bled together inside the sensor when it went bad. Same is true for brand new sensors I purchased from a local parts store for one of my 4.0 Jeeps and there was resistance between the power & ground cavity pins when there should be none.

Reason I used my ohm meter on the new Mopar 5602666AB crank sensor as soon as I bought it. I didn't even open the package and just poked 2 small holes in the package with my meter probes while it tested good using the below chart procedure.

Your choice if you want a spare crank sensor or not Delta0 and good luck.
Thank you very much Uni.
I've spent a long time learning from your post.
I find it excellent advice and information, especially the about how to test a crankshaft sensor.

I'm not in the least surprised to find Mopar have their parts made in China.
I learnt long ago that the Chinese are so slick with their manufacture that the same factory will make good, bad, or downright ugly CPSs, batteries, can openers, whatever depending on what the buyer wants.

And then there's the CPSs that go out the back door.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-14-2021, 09:39 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

No problem Delta0 and glad the post helps.
Delta0 likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

post #11 of 19 Old 09-16-2021, 01:18 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I was curious when I read the title of this thread. Especially with 235k miles on my 4.7HO. All’s well here on my OEM sensor as well.
Delta0 likes this.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #12 of 19 Old 09-17-2021, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
I was curious when I read the title of this thread. Especially with 235k miles on my 4.7HO. Allís well here on my OEM sensor as well.

Thank you very much lead, your good news is very comforting
post #13 of 19 Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

The CPS on the 4.0 is located where there is little air flow. Heat kills sensors. Due to low mileage you have been dodging a bullet but it will eventually fail. Mine failed at about double the miles you have. That said I recommend you find an OEM sensor before it's too late as they are discontinuing parts for WJs, that's what it comes down to. You don't want to get in a situation where all you have available is an aftermarket part that you'll need to replace every other year because it's garbage. Replacement a CPS on a 4.0 WJ is NOT fun.
Delta0 likes this.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

2020 RECOUNT
post #14 of 19 Old 09-18-2021, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
The CPS on the 4.0 is located where there is little air flow. Heat kills sensors. Due to low mileage you have been dodging a bullet but it will eventually fail. Mine failed at about double the miles you have. That said I recommend you find an OEM sensor before it's too late as they are discontinuing parts for WJs, that's what it comes down to. You don't want to get in a situation where all you have available is an aftermarket part that you'll need to replace every other year because it's garbage. Replacement a CPS on a 4.0 WJ is NOT fun.
Thank you very much Rep, a very interesting point of view.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-19-2021, 10:50 AM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

For as much time I spend on this forum and WJ FB pages. I have not become aware that they fail "often". Being a critical component and one that the vehicle will not operate without. I replace it and the crank sensor right after I buy a WJ. I own 2. A HO 4.7 and a non HO 4.7. I pay a mechanic to install them. A little over $250 (USA) with OEM parts and labor. Cheap insurance from my perspective. I keep the old sensors. So if you are really worried about it failing swap it out before and you will likely not need to worry about it. Not something "easily" done on the side of the road. I could have done it myself but the OEM sensors are relatively expensive. The labor being the lessor expense so rather than risk having the cam sensor break off. I splurged.
Delta0 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in