Another Overheating WJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-13-2021, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuyHans
1999 WJ 

Another Overheating WJ

Hey there all, I've waited to post this until I felt I've researched it thoroughly and tried all the suggestions I cold find. I have a 99 WJ Laredo with a newly refreshed 4.0 with 65k mi. When driving, the temperature stays where it should, however when in stop and go traffic, or when idling in a parking lot the temperature slowly creeps up past safe level and jeeps going until I shut it down and let it cool off. I have replaced: upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, and radiator cap. I've flushed the entire cooling system, and although the coolant looked old, I can't really say it looked gungy and I replaced the coolant with 50/50 mix. The radiator IS an aftermarket model, but I myself have not replaced it so I'm not sure when it was replaced. There are no leaks, and I'm not needing to add coolant frequently, it just can't seem to keep it cool in these circumstances. Oh, and I tested the fan, and it is pulling the right way. What did I miss? I know these engines are difficult to keep cool, but I should be able to sit in a parking lot without it overheating, ya know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-13-2021, 11:34 AM
nickfast
2002 WJ 

How's the clutch on the fan? Engine off and cold, try to spin it. Should not spin a full revolution. In overheated situations, same thing, you should barely be able to move it.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-13-2021, 04:24 PM
anotherheep

Agree with checking the fan clutch. If it's an electric fan, is it spinning in a healthy way, or does it seem weak?

post #4 of 27 Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepGuyHans
1999 WJ 

Ya know, I never did check the fan clutch. It's an electric fan. Engine off, and cold, when I manually push on it the fan literally "free-wheels" both forward and backward. There is no resistance to it at all, it will spin as fast as I push it.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 06:18 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Is it boiling over? How hot is it getting? Is the fan coming on?
post #6 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 08:38 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuyHans View Post
Ya know, I never did check the fan clutch. It's an electric fan. Engine off, and cold, when I manually push on it the fan literally "free-wheels" both forward and backward. There is no resistance to it at all, it will spin as fast as I push it.

Now wait a second...You say you have only one fan, and it is electric correct? If so, it should spin freely when it is off. But it should want to blow your hat off when it is on....

If you have a mechanical fan that is mounted on the water pump pulley, It will have a viscous clutch mounted to it, that should NOT spin freely. If this is the case, there is your overheating issue. Also don't forget to spray the radiator and evaporator out at the carwash. Mine was gummed up on the bottom half with dirt, bugs, and road debris....

If clutch is ok, and radiator is clear of debris, double check the operation of the electric fan mounted inside the fan shroud. It should come on with the temperature at 220 degrees, or when AC use requires it.

Lastly...If everything else checks ok, and you do not have the mechanical fan, you can add one very easily. Go to the JY and purchase a used one, then replace the clutch with a new one and spin it onto you water pump pulley. Easy Peezy....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:09 AM
Golden-Arm

Garage
you say it's "hot", but what is hot? what does the temp gauge say? on the highway? idling? do you have a temp gun? if so, shoot the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the end tanks. some guys think 210 degrees is hot. it isn't. i got tired of the electric factory fan system not working properly, so i removed the fan and shroud from the jeep. i drove daily to/at for two months without a fan or shroud, and never once overheated. i did get a mechanical fan from another wj (deadjeeps.com) and put it on, along with the shroud, i've never hit the 210 mark since doing that.

if it was my wj, i'd pull the shroud and motor, and would powerwash the radiator from both sides (as mentioned above) and i'd just put the shroud back on, with a mechanical fan, from another wj, not some random, generic pos. also something to consider, just because it was flushed, doesn't mean it is clean. remove the fan and shroud and run the thing up to temp. from behind, get up close with a temp gun, and shoot all over the radiator. you might find a giant cold spot, indicating the radiator is clogged. pic of my wj posted showing it without fan/shroud, during my 2 month test to run with nothing but the air itself to cool the radiator/engine. all it took was being able to reach 13 mph if the temp gauge indicated 210 degrees or higher. 13 mph brought it back down to under the 210 mark (as verified with a temp gun at thermostat housing, and inlet nipple.
Attached Thumbnails
D3B8F92E-09AF-43F5-83EA-8393AC7D7A00.jpg  

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #8 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuyHans
1999 WJ 

If I don't shut it down, yes it will boil over. Not sure the exact temp but on the temp gauge it goes 3/4 to the right on the gauge and then I shut it down.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuyHans
1999 WJ 

I do have just a single electric fan mounted in the fan shroud. It definitely blows sir but I wouldn't say it would take my hat off.
post #10 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:31 AM
Golden-Arm

Garage
do you have a temp gun? if not, they're around 20 bucks. amazon, harbor freight, home depot, wherever. if you don't know real numbers, you aren't going to chase this down. run it to temp, when you see it get to halfway on the temp gauge, shut it off, and start shooting temps. shoot the radiator cap, both end tanks, upper and lower rad hoses, thermostat housing, etc. write them all down. you shouldn't see huge number differences here. pull the shroud and fan (when it's cool) and do this again. run to temp, shut off and shoot the radiator all over, top to bottom, side to side. you shouldn't see any real difference in those numbers. if you see a big drop, in a section of the rad doing this, you have a blocked radiator. forget flushing, replace it. if this all works out in your favor, remove the electric fan from the shroud, and drop in a wj mechanical fan into the bare shroud. again, don't get some generic piece of **** fan, get a wj fan assembly. good luck.

post #11 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepGuyHans
1999 WJ 

Thanks everyone! Ya'll have definitely given me some more ideas to chew on. I've always wanted a temp gun, now I have a legitimate reason to get one! I figure I'll probably do the mechanical fan conversion regardless just because this is my son's daily driver and I want it as solid as I can make it. I've seen some folks running both the electric fan as well as the mechanical fan, is this a good idea? I'd figure they would spin at different rpms and the electric fan would actually inhibit the mechanical fan's airflow, no? Also, when I go to the JY, what years would I be looking for that came with the mechanical fan and not electric, or did they all come from the factory mechanical and when one of the previous owners replaced the radiator they added the electric fan too?
post #12 of 27 Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Are you able to post pictures of the radiator? Does your engine have a bleed screw to purge all the air?
post #13 of 27 Old 05-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Golden-Arm

Garage
if your electric fan isn't cooling the jeep, why would you keep it? pull that junk out of there, and run a mechanical fan OR chase down the electrical problems, and make that one work. a mechanical fan is like 50 bucks from dead jeeps, with shipping. it takes literally, 82 seconds to install it. or you could spend hours, and days trying to get the electric one sorted......

some jeeps do have both, apparently, with a towing package. most guys wouldn't know when their electric fan crapped out, because the manual fan is still there, getting the job done (which i still KNOW can be done, with no fan or shroud at all )

the electric fan blocks airflow, when it doesn't work. get a temp gun, get your numbers, and decide if you need a radiator, or just need to upgrade (through downgrading) your current non-cooling fan situation.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-15-2021, 11:34 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

what does this mean?

a newly refreshed 4.0 with 65k mi

newly refreshed?

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #15 of 27 Old 05-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Easiest thing to do is to add the mechanical fan onto the water pump. 5 mins tops...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in