2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golden-Arm
  • 1 Post By Uniblurb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Louie250
2002 WJ 

Wj akebono calipers

I have 2002 jeep grand cherokee WJ has the infamous death wobble when I brake hard.
Time for new brakes / rotors anyway. I hear that Akebono calipers take care of this issue. ($260)
Am I better off buying akebono calipers or akebono style calipers from Power Stop for much cheaper??

Thanks everybody!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
death wobble from hard braking? are you sure you dont have a warped rotor? i find it hard to imagine an actual death wobble, created by merely applying the brakes.
97Mule likes this.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 07:05 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im no xpert but i dont think braking causes dw...i had violent dw and did steering stab plus track bar. no way to prove i fixed it till the next big bump comes along...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Definitely not DW, because if you ever had REAL death wobble, believe me, you would know the difference. You have warped brake rotors that need replacing.

I have not done this swap yet myself, but everyone says that it makes all the difference. I dont imagine it matters much WHERE you get the Akebono calipers, just that you get them true Akebono.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2020, 03:40 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

On my 04 4.7 two years ago when I braked hard at freeway speeds the whole front end would shake violently. DW? No, and it was the right front caliper locking up even though it was an Akebono caliper. If you're running Teves front calipers likely you have warped front rotors as others pointed out since they're known to cause warping. Plus you could have a sticking caliper like I did.

I ended up replacing all the calipers, pads, parking brake shoes w/new hwd kit, and rotors. I had done the same brake job 6 years previously after I bought it in 2012.

If you're in the salt/rust belt like I am you'll find your brakes will take a lot more of a beating from the road salt and need replaced sooner. And when I did the brake job 2 years ago I went with the reman red coated Power Stop calipers all the way around along with 4 new Centric coated rotors and Centric parking brake shoes. I did do it a little different and used the Wagner ceramic thermoquiet pads on the front/back I've always had good luck with.

The way you're describing the PowerStop set you're looking at should we assume it's the below one from Rockauto at $260? Akebono calipers and Akebono 'style' calipers should be one in the same in that kit.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=410&jsn=410

Did you already check that indeed you have the Teves calipers rather than the Akebono calipers? The May, 2002 manufacture date is when they started installing the Akebono calipers at the factories on the WJ and anything in April or before were Teves calipers.

The main reason I ask is Rockauto may have a problem giving you back the core charge when you're sending back old Teves calipers w/brackets when you received the newer style Akebono calipers with brackets. The bolts should be the same for the brackets but apply some thread locker/blue Loctite on them if there's none present.

I don't buy anything from Rockauto w/o plugging in one of the below top-of-page discount codes in the "How did you hear about us?" box at checkout. 5% off isn't much but it helps pay for shipping.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

You could spend a little more for one of the coated caliper PowerStop kits but your call. Good luck.

PS. Below are a few photos of the front/rear PowerStop calipers and coated Centric rotors I went.
Attached Images

riverzj likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2020, 06:46 AM
ZJanJeep

[QUOTE=Louie250;41011307]I have 2002 jeep grand cherokee WJ has the infamous death wobble when I brake hard.
Time for new brakes / rotors anyway. I hear that Akebono calipers take care of this issue. ($260)
Am I better off buying akebono calipers or akebono style calipers from Power Stop for much cheaper??

I have done the Akebono swap using the power stop kit you mention. Along with ensuring your drag link and tie rod ends/ball joints are tight this swap is SIMPLE and VERY EFFECTIVE AT SOLVING THE DEATH WOBBLE! Thus kit with the ceramic carbon pads really haul my WJ down fast. Added the rear kit as well to balance the stopping power. My ABS was kicking in too fast when just using the front Akebono kit. There are other pads for towing that with help with heavier loads. I travel from Vegas to LA a bunch including the many ups and downs that require heavy braking at higher than legal speeds with no warping and no wobble! 50k miles now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in