Airbag light problems - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-08-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Airbag light problems

Cannot get the air bag light to clear. Replaced the clock spring, checked the under-seat wiring, did the reset procedure several times. Did the battery disconnect as well. Will not go away. Any one have any thoughts before I take it in to be looked at?

Thanks-
Brady

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

what is the SRS module saying CODE is?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-08-2019, 10:20 PM
KRAZY8
2002 WJ 

Did you use a scan tool that resets the airbag light? That's the only way to reset the airbag light, disconnecting the battery doesn't work.

post #4 of 28 Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the responses. I haven't tried to reset via a scan tool. Mine doesn't have the airbag light functionality. I read on line several places that it could be reset by a series of on/off ignition switching- but apparently that isn't true?
post #5 of 28 Old 09-13-2019, 07:06 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

The ignition on/off trick, also known as the "key dance", is used to make fault codes display in the odometer. It definitely doesn't reset any warning lights.

There are multiple possible reasons for the airbag light coming on, and the clockspring is only one of them, so you should always pull the specific fault code(s) before throwing parts at it.

You might be lucky though - it might *actually* have been the clockspring, and now you just need a scan tool to reset the light.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
The ignition on/off trick, also known as the "key dance", is used to make fault codes display in the odometer. It definitely doesn't reset any warning lights.

There are multiple possible reasons for the airbag light coming on, and the clockspring is only one of them, so you should always pull the specific fault code(s) before throwing parts at it.

You might be lucky though - it might *actually* have been the clockspring, and now you just need a scan tool to reset the light.
Thanks for the info- all I got from doing the key thing was the word "done", so I guess no codes were thrown. I ordered a scanner that does airbag light reset, so we will see if that works. I have a scanner that just check OBDII codes and all I got from that was an emission code that I already know about..
post #7 of 28 Old 09-13-2019, 03:14 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoguy80125 View Post
Thanks for the info- all I got from doing the key thing was the word "done", so I guess no codes were thrown
SRS (airbag) codes don't show on the odometer display, the same way that ABS and security system codes don't. That's because they're manufacturer-specific, they are not generic OBD2 codes. Sorry, should have made it clear earlier that the "key dance" will only show you generic OBD2 codes (so basically engine, emissions and transmission), not any of the Chrysler-specific ones.

That is also the likely reason why the scan tool you used didn't pick up anything. Some consumer-level scan tools claim to be able to read SRS codes, but not all of them will do so on Chrysler vehicles. Ditto ABS codes.

If the light is on, then a fault code is still set and the airbag will be disabled (similarly, the ABS is disabled if the ABS light comes on). That code may just be "previously-detected fault has been fixed but light needs to be reset", but it's there, and a compatible scan tool will find it.
FunWithPaul likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 12:17 AM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

You need a scanner that can read ABS codes so you know what triggers it. They're cheaper than you think. Check out this Innova 3100j.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #9 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 AM
Ninjachef93
2000 WJ 

Hi, I'm new here so pardon me if I'm jumping into this the wrong way. I, too, am experiencing issues with my air bag light, but it's not just "on", it comes on the same time my radio and odometer cut out. I also hear a very high pitch whistling while accelerating if these symptoms are happening, with the radio off. The only code my scanner is throwing me is p1491, which I'm pretty sure is just my radiator fan relay. I've got a 2000 wj 4.0
Advice?
post #10 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 05:50 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

So you have a regular issue with your radio and odometer cutting out and the airbag light coming on, all simultaneously?

Sounds like a nasty electrical gremlin on a shared circuit. There *will* be an airbag code to read - I suspect something to do with loss of voltage to the airbag module - but your scan tool doesn't support Chrysler SRS codes so it can't find it.

The wiring diagrams in the FSM might help in locating anything that's common to all of those systems. Can't think of reasons why the radio and the odometer and the airbag would be affected simultaneously, but not anything else.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM
FunWithPaul
2004 WJ 

Opposite of what SOME people say, yes the key dance CAN turn out the light.

It will STILL be on even if you fixed the problem, unless you have a DRBIII SRS code tool to reset it. You don't. Only Jeep does...
I changed my clockspring, the airbag light was STILL ON.

In the Body Diagnostic Procedures manual, it says that if there is a fault, a trouble code is stored and will remain stored. Stored codes will be reset if there are no faults for 254 ignition cycles.

So if you fixed it and it the light is still on, take it to the Jeep Dealer (and pay the price), or spend 20 min in your driveway and cycle the ignition 254 times...

See my WJ write up on this issue.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7101.jpg  
post #12 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 09:22 PM
FunWithPaul
2004 WJ 

I haven't found a code reader that reads Jeep (Chrysler) DRBIII airbag DTC's

IF ANYONE has, PLEASE post it.

From what I have read only Jeep can do it (or someone that has a DRBIII $3000??)
post #13 of 28 Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunWithPaul View Post
Opposite of what SOME people say, yes the key dance CAN turn out the light
That depends on whether it needs to see the engine start or not to count as an ignition cycle. The key dance does not start the engine.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Well, I ordered a scanner that will allegedly clear the airbag light, so I guess we will see when it gets here. If not, I suppose the dealer is he only option. Question is, will they clear the code if they didn't do the repair?
FunWithPaul likes this.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM
FunWithPaul
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
That depends on whether it needs to see the engine start or not to count as an ignition cycle. The key dance does not start the engine.
It is just "ignition on". You do not have to start the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in