JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Airbag light problems (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/airbag-light-problems-4370401/)

broncoguy80125 09-08-2019 05:14 PM

Airbag light problems

Cannot get the air bag light to clear. Replaced the clock spring, checked the under-seat wiring, did the reset procedure several times. Did the battery disconnect as well. Will not go away. Any one have any thoughts before I take it in to be looked at?

Thanks-
Brady

jtec 09-08-2019 05:51 PM

what is the SRS module saying CODE is?

KRAZY8 09-08-2019 10:20 PM

Did you use a scan tool that resets the airbag light? That's the only way to reset the airbag light, disconnecting the battery doesn't work.

broncoguy80125 09-10-2019 01:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. I haven't tried to reset via a scan tool. Mine doesn't have the airbag light functionality. I read on line several places that it could be reset by a series of on/off ignition switching- but apparently that isn't true?

AVR2 09-13-2019 07:06 AM

The ignition on/off trick, also known as the "key dance", is used to make fault codes display in the odometer. It definitely doesn't reset any warning lights.

There are multiple possible reasons for the airbag light coming on, and the clockspring is only one of them, so you should always pull the specific fault code(s) before throwing parts at it.

You might be lucky though - it might *actually* have been the clockspring, and now you just need a scan tool to reset the light.

broncoguy80125 09-13-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR2 (Post 40738627)
The ignition on/off trick, also known as the "key dance", is used to make fault codes display in the odometer. It definitely doesn't reset any warning lights.

There are multiple possible reasons for the airbag light coming on, and the clockspring is only one of them, so you should always pull the specific fault code(s) before throwing parts at it.

You might be lucky though - it might *actually* have been the clockspring, and now you just need a scan tool to reset the light.

Thanks for the info- all I got from doing the key thing was the word "done", so I guess no codes were thrown. I ordered a scanner that does airbag light reset, so we will see if that works. I have a scanner that just check OBDII codes and all I got from that was an emission code that I already know about..

AVR2 09-13-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncoguy80125 (Post 40738815)
Thanks for the info- all I got from doing the key thing was the word "done", so I guess no codes were thrown

SRS (airbag) codes don't show on the odometer display, the same way that ABS and security system codes don't. That's because they're manufacturer-specific, they are not generic OBD2 codes. Sorry, should have made it clear earlier that the "key dance" will only show you generic OBD2 codes (so basically engine, emissions and transmission), not any of the Chrysler-specific ones.

That is also the likely reason why the scan tool you used didn't pick up anything. Some consumer-level scan tools claim to be able to read SRS codes, but not all of them will do so on Chrysler vehicles. Ditto ABS codes.

If the light is on, then a fault code is still set and the airbag will be disabled (similarly, the ABS is disabled if the ABS light comes on). That code may just be "previously-detected fault has been fixed but light needs to be reset", but it's there, and a compatible scan tool will find it.

rep-tile 09-14-2019 12:17 AM

You need a scanner that can read ABS codes so you know what triggers it. They're cheaper than you think. Check out this Innova 3100j.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ninjachef93 09-14-2019 01:10 AM

Hi, I'm new here so pardon me if I'm jumping into this the wrong way. I, too, am experiencing issues with my air bag light, but it's not just "on", it comes on the same time my radio and odometer cut out. I also hear a very high pitch whistling while accelerating if these symptoms are happening, with the radio off. The only code my scanner is throwing me is p1491, which I'm pretty sure is just my radiator fan relay. I've got a 2000 wj 4.0
Advice?

AVR2 09-14-2019 05:50 PM

So you have a regular issue with your radio and odometer cutting out and the airbag light coming on, all simultaneously?

Sounds like a nasty electrical gremlin on a shared circuit. There *will* be an airbag code to read - I suspect something to do with loss of voltage to the airbag module - but your scan tool doesn't support Chrysler SRS codes so it can't find it.

The wiring diagrams in the FSM might help in locating anything that's common to all of those systems. Can't think of reasons why the radio and the odometer and the airbag would be affected simultaneously, but not anything else.

FunWithPaul 09-14-2019 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Opposite of what SOME people say, yes the key dance CAN turn out the light.

It will STILL be on even if you fixed the problem, unless you have a DRBIII SRS code tool to reset it. You don't. Only Jeep does...
I changed my clockspring, the airbag light was STILL ON.

In the Body Diagnostic Procedures manual, it says that if there is a fault, a trouble code is stored and will remain stored. Stored codes will be reset if there are no faults for 254 ignition cycles.

So if you fixed it and it the light is still on, take it to the Jeep Dealer (and pay the price), or spend 20 min in your driveway and cycle the ignition 254 times...

See my WJ write up on this issue.

Paul

FunWithPaul 09-14-2019 09:22 PM

I haven't found a code reader that reads Jeep (Chrysler) DRBIII airbag DTC's

IF ANYONE has, PLEASE post it.

From what I have read only Jeep can do it (or someone that has a DRBIII $3000??)

AVR2 09-15-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunWithPaul (Post 40740097)
Opposite of what SOME people say, yes the key dance CAN turn out the light

That depends on whether it needs to see the engine start or not to count as an ignition cycle. The key dance does not start the engine.

broncoguy80125 09-15-2019 01:08 PM

Well, I ordered a scanner that will allegedly clear the airbag light, so I guess we will see when it gets here. If not, I suppose the dealer is he only option. Question is, will they clear the code if they didn't do the repair?

FunWithPaul 09-15-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR2 (Post 40740335)
That depends on whether it needs to see the engine start or not to count as an ignition cycle. The key dance does not start the engine.

It is just "ignition on". You do not have to start the engine.

The time now is 11:09 PM.