Aftermarket radio when I have the Infinity system/amp.. Is it a pain to install? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
blastic

Aftermarket radio when I have the Infinity system/amp.. Is it a pain to install?

From what I remember I have read a lot about how it's a pain to hook up an aftermarket deck if you have the Infinity System/Amp is this true and if so what exactly has to be done to get everything working right?

rworden1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 PM
MrBaz
2004 WJ 

I would also like to know the answer to this. I have the Infinity system, but my head unit is failing.

2004 WJ, 4.7HO, 2 cats, magnaflow
post #3 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM
wjkeith

Garage
Not hard at all

post #4 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

the only difference is the blue remote wire for the amp if you don't hook that up you will have no sound.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM
scott_0
2002 WJ 

as said, it's super easy with the proper harness for your year, and again, as said, don't forget to wire up the remote amp turn on for the Infinity amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 GC Limited, all stock, undecided mods to come
post #6 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
If all you want to do is replace the head unit, this is a pretty simple repair. If you buy an aftermarket unit from Crutchfield, they will send you all the adapters and wiring harnesses that you need to get it done, and instructions. If you can solder a few wires together, this is no problem. If not, you can always crimp them together which may work well enough.
Some high power units want a new 10-gauge wire run directly to the battery, but if you are going to use the existing amp, then you should not need that kind of direct feed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #7 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Chris Radley

What about those of us that want to retain the steering wheel radio control buttons? Is a can bus adapter necessary in order to keep those functions?

If so does anyone recommend a brand/model #?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 PM
scott_0
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Radley View Post
What about those of us that want to retain the steering wheel radio control buttons? Is a can bus adapter necessary in order to keep those functions?

you'll need one of these

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASW...RoCBNMQAvD_BwE

post #9 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 PM
smokeyyank

I just did mine. Make sure to get the correct harness connect( it has the rca preouts) the blue wire for amp turn on and your good to go. If you move up to a double din be prepared for a level of wtf. Lots of cutting and cursing.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 AM
Fzz
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Radley View Post

You need the adaptor if the head unit cannot take the signal directly from the steering wheel control wire (which sends a negative varying voltage on the WJ) - But it should say that on the listing for each head unit what it needs anyway.

The irony is that the more expensive well known brands don't seem to be able to take the feed directly and need the adaptor, whereas the cheaper head units (like the Pumpkin one I have) can take the -ve feed straight from the steering wheel into the head unit.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM
MrBaz
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
I just did mine. Make sure to get the correct harness connect( it has the rca preouts) the blue wire for amp turn on and your good to go. If you move up to a double din be prepared for a level of wtf. Lots of cutting and cursing.

Please, do explain (Pics?)

2004 WJ, 4.7HO, 2 cats, magnaflow
post #12 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
LOL yes, if you want to keep it simpler, use a single DIN unit. Double DIN is bigger and fancier and all, but it doesn't fit without trimming parts of the dash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
blastic

I give props to anyone that successfully installs a decent looking double din deck in their WJ. I definitely am not putting myself through that hell. Question though. For someone who isn't GREAT with this stuff, how hard is it to set up the steering wheel controls? I'm going with a single din from Crutchfield, if I opt for the steering wheel control setup will it come with specific how-to-for-dummy instructions?
post #14 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
blastic

Quote:
I hear a lot about the rear speakers not working after install. How did you avoid that from happening?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 PM
scott_0
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastic View Post
I give props to anyone that successfully installs a decent looking double din deck in their WJ. I definitely am not putting myself through that hell. Question though. For someone who isn't GREAT with this stuff, how hard is it to set up the steering wheel controls? I'm going with a single din from Crutchfield, if I opt for the steering wheel control setup will it come with specific how-to-for-dummy instructions?

it's really not that bad, the wireless carplay makes it all worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in