Addco sway bar stabilizer link question - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

Addco sway bar stabilizer link question

Do folks generally reuse the OEM rear sway bar stabilizer links? Or is it better to buy something new like the DLZ links when installing a 1" Addco rear sway bar?

Also, if one installs the 1" Addco rear sway bar, can they keep the stock front OEM sway bar? Or will that need to be upgraded too? If so, what sway bar should be added in the front?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 11:57 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
You may use factory links with no issue. You may want to consider replacing them if they are very old, but if the bushings are good then they should be okay. You do not need to swap the front sway bar, but if you are looking for a cheap and easy upgrade, the 2004 WJ changed to a solid bar design instead of the hollow bar in earlier years; grab one from a salvage yard, it will swap right in with no trouble.

I did both of these things, the 1" rear Addco and the 2004 factory front.
Bigrigr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 12:56 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Once again, GmanWJ is spot on.

I put the rear Addco on my 2000 WJ many years ago. When I got my '04, I just moved that same bar over to it. I got a seconf '04 soon after and bought another rear Addco.
As noted the front bar from the factory is stout enough that many folks don't bother upgrading it, hollow or solid but the option to source an '04 solid bar from the junkyard is a bonus.

When I got the '04 I didn't know about the hollow-to-solid change for the front bar in the '04 but I can say that I've put both of my '04s through much more severe high-speed handling exercises than I ever did with the 2000.

I only changed the end links on the 2000 WJ at some point because the bushings looked bad. In reality, they were probably ok.
I just used the OEM spec versions and probably whatever RockAuto had.
Bigrigr likes this.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 01:41 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
When I first got my '01 it had a lot of sway in the rear end. Picked up a 7/8" sway bar at the You Pull It yard, ordered new greasable bushings, and installed them using the existing links. Love the result.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #5 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

Do Addco sway bars come with all hardware needed? Some say washers are needed?
post #6 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 07:17 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
i upgraded front and rear links, when i lifted and added the addco. factory swaybar links are like, the thickness of a pencil. the iro links are bigger, heavier and have larger bushings, that allows for some axial rotation under load, that eliminates binding. i also did urethane bushings all around, just for the extra stability. they might squeak if you don't keep them lubed, but they provide a noticeable difference. some parts include hardware some offer it as an add-on. you might need some large washers to secure the bushings in the links. they could work loose, in some situations, from a lateral load situation. the large washer prevents the bushing from pushing out of the mounting hole. first pic shows factory link. second one shows iro link. it's pretty clear what you get when you buy the one designed for the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1049.jpg   DSCN1075.jpg  

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #7 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 08:44 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
This might help.
Attached Images

post #8 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

Thanks. Any brand / part number recommendations on sway bar end links?
post #9 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 09:57 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
It depends on the amount of lift, the links are different lengths in relation to the amount of lift. I can recommend IRO links, I have been running them with the Addco bar for about a year now, HUGE improvement in the handling. I do HIGHLY recommend the greasable brackets for the bushings at the axle, I originally had standard ones and the creaky poly bushings made me crazy in no time. Changing them and keeping them lubed with silicone grease keeps them quiet and me happy.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #10 of 29 Old 07-15-2021, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

Does IRO make links for stock height (non-lifted)?
post #11 of 29 Old 07-16-2021, 03:53 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I installed the front addco sway and personally didn’t feel the complete change I was looking for. I don’t recall exactly what it felt like that was missing. I then installed the rear bar and WOW found it to be perfect for my tastes. Far more maneuverable in corners and backroads of TN. I do however nite that I need to replace bushings more frequently.

This make sense on bushing wear as there IS more force put upon them if the bars themselves don’t take up some of it BG twisting as much.

Of course if you aren’t putting the force upon them with greater handling maneuvers then it’s a moot point.

I have JKS quicker discos up front and stock bushings in back.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761
post #12 of 29 Old 07-16-2021, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

My WJ is a daily driver. Not lifted. Thoughts on best sway link for 1" Addco in the rear?

What about Moog K3202? Or the DLZ K3202? The DLZ is cheaper than Moog. Is the Moog better quality?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H05V632

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IY8LJA
post #13 of 29 Old 07-16-2021, 11:07 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I did the Moogs, perfect fit and work well.

Added for your consideration: Addco also makes a 7/8" bar (634). I bought the 1" (684) and it works great on the road. Now I kinda wish I had gotten the 634 because I feel like the 684 is too stiff for trails, but I cannot say for sure since I do not have a 634. Something to think about.

https://www.addco.net/product/jeep-g...9-04-rear-538/

Oh, and I highly recommend buying either direct from Addco or from a reputable source like Kolak or IRO ... I originally bought mine from Amazon and it was an old, bad Addco design that banged against the differential cover because there was not enough clearance. It was a bit of a hassle but Addco eventually shipped me a new one that fits correctly.

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

post #14 of 29 Old 07-16-2021, 12:59 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I bring hand tools to quickly disconnect one rear endlink for trails. My JKS units up front of course don’t require tools. Yes, I agree too stiff for trails and should be disconnected.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761
post #15 of 29 Old 07-19-2021, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

After install of the 1 inch rear Addco, Moog sway bar links, and Energy greasable bushings, I hear a knocking if I make a sharp hard turn. This was not present with the stock OEM Mopar sway.

Is this new noise most likely the original worn bushings in the rear control arms? I’m guessing the high rigidity of the Addco rear sway bar ais transferring more energy to the old worn control arm bushings. Is this a valid hypothesis? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in