99 WJ Transmission Shift Issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2021, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

99 WJ Transmission Shift Issue

I finally got my WJ back on the road after sitting since 2016 and am experiencing that the transmission likes to stick in 2nd gear now. The speedometer is also jumping and is inaccurate. I never had any shifting problems before it sat so I'm assuming it's a sensor or it just needs a good old fluid and filter swap. I started with the simplest fix and replaced the Transmission Speed Sensor, which did not fix the issue. I was thinking maybe the TPS next? The Tranny is a 42RE

Side note: I can get it to shift out of 2nd after it's been running a while and I goose the engine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2021, 11:26 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Scan for codes at very least try to get codes using key trick. Even if CEL is off. Post all codes.
You did check fluid level?

Is the airbag or ABS light on?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2021, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

I scanned for codes and did the key trick. Nothing comes up and key just displays "done". Fluid levels are good but the ABS light is on. It goes on and off while driving so i suspect dirty wheel sensor

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2021, 02:01 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

The ABS sensors are used for speedo. Might want to get an ABS capable scanner to access ABS codes.

The trans fluid and filter is good idea. Look for debris in pan. Also ck TV cable adjustment.

GTG

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2021, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

metal4fun

Good advice! I'll check the TV cable today. Any suggestions on a good ABS scanner? I already wasted money on a Foxwell NT630 Plus and it won't cooperate with the ABS on the WJ. After inputting the VIN manually it says I need a Chrysler CCD Connector in order to operate and Foxwell tech support says that they don't offer one. Genius! right? I'm planning on doing the fluid change this weekend as well as filter, solenoid, and spring while I'm in there. I'll post updates after completion
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2021, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

Good advice! I'll check the TV cable today. Any suggestions on a good ABS scanner? I already wasted money on a Foxwell NT630 Plus and it won't cooperate with the ABS on the WJ. After inputting the VIN manually it says I need a Chrysler CCD Connector in order to operate and Foxwell tech support says that they don't offer one. Genius! right? I'm planning on doing the fluid change this weekend as well as filter, solenoid, and spring while I'm in there. I'll post updates after completion
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4fun View Post
After inputting the VIN manually it says I need a Chrysler CCD Connector in order to operate and Foxwell tech support says that they don't offer one
That doesn't sound right at all. The Foxwell seems to be interpreting your VIN wrongly. WJs don't use CCD and have never had CCD connectors, they use PCI, which is accessed through the OBD2 port.

You can access the ABS with a Bluetooth or wireless OBD2 dongle and a smartphone. Something's definitely up with your Foxwell.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2021, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
metal4fun
1999 WJ 

Update: I have adjusted the Throttle Cable and still am having issues going from 2nd to 3rd. The shift from 1st to 2nd however, is much smoother. I went ahead and swapped the TPS sensor which ultimately did nothing except give me a chance to pull the throttle valve assembly and clean it. I'm still awaiting on parts to arrive to drop the pan and change solenoid, spring, and filter. I decided to go with OEM Mopar parts rather than just going down to Autozone so the shipping is taking a while. I'll update when it's done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in