99 WJ stalled out and now won't start - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
Wj 99 WJ stalled out and now won't start

My 99 WJ was driving down the freeway last weekend and the engine died. No power whatsoever. Got it off the road, let it sit and rest for a few and tried to start it . No go. Tried to jump it. No go. Got it towed home. Discovered that the battery was shot, massive corrosion on the posts and moisture on top of the battery. Replaced the battery, starter and all battery cables and terminal ends. Still will not start. The starter tries to turn over but does not engage and there is no turning over of the engine. Tried to manually turn the engine with the crank bolt and it is not moving. Also had all the gauges start going haywire at one point.

Suggestions, recommendations, 9mm ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 03:30 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Could a pulley be stopping it from turning. Have you removed the belt to see if it’s still frozen?
post #3 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 03:31 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

You’re sure the starter is engaged and trying to move?

post #4 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 04:35 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
That does not sound good. Any weird things going on just before it died? Where the gauges all indicating that everything was ok? Any odd noises going on? If you cant turn the engine over with a breaker bar or big ratchet on the crank bolt, something is jammed. Possibilities=starter jammed in the flexplate teeth, torque converter locked up-(trans issue), something inside the motor is locked up-(connecting rod, seized crank bearing,seized piston, coolant on top of a piston causing hydrolock), accessory locked up(alternator, power steering pump, water pump, A/c clutch, etc.) Remove the fan belt, and try to start it again. If that makes no difference, then its gonna be ugly....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 05:40 PM
ParkerStovall42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
That does not sound good. Any weird things going on just before it died? Where the gauges all indicating that everything was ok? Any odd noises going on? If you cant turn the engine over with a breaker bar or big ratchet on the crank bolt, something is jammed. Possibilities=starter jammed in the flexplate teeth, torque converter locked up-(trans issue), something inside the motor is locked up-(connecting rod, seized crank bearing,seized piston, coolant on top of a piston causing hydrolock), accessory locked up(alternator, power steering pump, water pump, A/c clutch, etc.) Remove the fan belt, and try to start it again. If that makes no difference, then its gonna be ugly....
This. There are any number of things that'll sieze your engine, you aren't going to know until you get in there. I'd remove the serpentine belt and try again to turn it by hand. Maybe you got lucky and just had a pulley bearing sieze, happened to my tensioner once. With a breaker bar on the crank it doesnt take much effort to turn. If it doesn't after removing the belt, you're gonna have to tear it down.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
No we haven't removed the belt. That's a great idea. Thanks.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
Sorry for the double post.

Ok. Going to pull the belt and try it again. I can't be tearing it totally apart right now. The person driving it did not report any unusual noises and I wouldn't hear them. I'm deaf. The starter is trying to engage but doesn't seem to be making it. So I think I will pull the starter first, inspect it and reinstall it, give it a quick try and then pull the belt and see if we can get the engine to move. Hoping against hope that we will be able to get her back on the road fairly easily. I don't need a hard fix right now.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShpepperKat View Post
Sorry for the double post.

Ok. Going to pull the belt and try it again. I can't be tearing it totally apart right now. The person driving it did not report any unusual noises and I wouldn't hear them. I'm deaf. The starter is trying to engage but doesn't seem to be making it. So I think I will pull the starter first, inspect it and reinstall it, give it a quick try and then pull the belt and see if we can get the engine to move. Hoping against hope that we will be able to get her back on the road fairly easily. I don't need a hard fix right now.

Good luck to you.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 20 Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
AAND still battling this thing. Starter was bad. replaced it. Battery was bad. replaced it... replaced crank position sensor. Gauges went crazy and she tried to die again. Replaced alternator due to flying short (It had happened once before but stopped so I was told I could still use the old alternator until I had issues with it again. ) New battery cables, new terminal ends. Drove it 10 minutes today, gauges went crazy again and it sounds like it is backfiring into the cylinders. Oh and a new serpentine belt. WHAT Do I do now? Can this be caused by the O2 sensors ? Im about ready to take her out and trade it for a costco sized double pack of toilet paper. HELO
post #10 of 20 Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
AAND still battling this thing. Starter was bad. replaced it. Battery was bad. replaced it... replaced crank position sensor. Gauges went crazy and she tried to die again. Replaced alternator due to flying short (It had happened once before but stopped so I was told I could still use the old alternator until I had issues with it again. ) New battery cables, new terminal ends. Drove it 10 minutes today, gauges went crazy again and it sounds like it is backfiring into the cylinders. Oh and a new serpentine belt. WHAT Do I do now? Can this be caused by the O2 sensors ? Im about ready to take her out and trade it for a costco sized double pack of toilet paper. HELO
Hold on there, dont WIPE away all the hard work you have done up to this point!

So, to be clear, you have gotten it to start since your latest update, correct? So you now have a new battery, starter, cable ends, alternator, and serp belt. So we know, i think, that it ISNT an accessory pertinent to the starting and charging system. When i start seeing wacky things going on like the gauges flickering, I start thinking of a bad ground somewhere, or a bad connection. This one is probably a pretty big connection of some sort because it effects the whole Jeep(not just the radio or a single light). I would dig up Uniblurbs write up on every ground location in the Jeep and start going down the list, starting in the engine bay. He did a fantastic job of helping us find these little critters and showed us how to clean them and get them ready for the next 20 years. Im betting you have at least one big one that is crusty/rusty, and needs attention.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-03-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
Yes all replacement parts and We have gotten it to run a couple of times. Long enough to get to the parts store and almost back home before the gauges went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. I will find the ground write up and see if we can find the one from there.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Yes all replacement parts and We have gotten it to run a couple of times. Long enough to get to the parts store and almost back home before the gauges went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. I will find the ground write up and see if we can find the one from there.
Let us know how this turns out, I'm crossing my fingers for ya

post #13 of 20 Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Does it drive well in open loop and get crazy when it’s in closed?
post #14 of 20 Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 AM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Is this the 4.0?

What codes do you have?

Josh
post #15 of 20 Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
ShpepperKat
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Let us know how this turns out, I'm crossing my fingers for ya
I will. It's been put on the back burner right now since I have to get the kiddo set up for online school. But I will update as we figure more out. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in