99' WJ 4.0 242 swap 242HD - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
JoMc67

Garage
99' WJ 4.0 242 swap 242HD

Since my TC is leaking on my 99' WJ 4.0 I was thinking of upgrading to the 242HD version from Ebay or similar.

Should this be a straight-forward swap, or is there something else I should know ?..Going to have my Mechanic install this.

Thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 09:39 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Search forum on this topic everything you need to know has been discussed. Cliff's notes version is the HD was meant for V8 so you need to swap input shaft and rear drive shaft may need to be modified. My personal recommendation unless you're wheeling it hard and have large tires there's no real reason to do this to a daily driver or weekend trail rig. Just go find a junkyard replacement to yours that's not leaking or fix yours. 3rd option let it leak gives you an excuse to check levels and add fresh fluid. That's the relationship I personally have with my transmission
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Search forum on this topic everything you need to know has been discussed. Cliff's notes version is the HD was meant for V8 so you need to swap input shaft and rear drive shaft may need to be modified. My personal recommendation unless you're wheeling it hard and have large tires there's no real reason to do this to a daily driver or weekend trail rig. Just go find a junkyard replacement to yours that's not leaking or fix yours. 3rd option let it leak gives you an excuse to check levels and add fresh fluid. That's the relationship I personally have with my transmission
Agree with LuthWJ77. Unless you have a reason to upgrade to the 242HD (or have one laying around), the stock 242 should be fine with the 4.0.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 05:56 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I believe several forum members run the standard non-HD 242 behind the V8 with no problems because it's considered strong enough with a good torque rating. So if that's the case then surely it's fine with the 4.0. Not only that, but they also have done it because it's easier to find and cheaper.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #5 of 5 Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
JoMc67

Garage
Thanks for the information, guys, and will keep the standard 242 and get it fixed or just keep refilling it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in