99 Jeep Grand WJ, I need info. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Kiroinor

99 Jeep Grand WJ, I need info.

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.0. Which I bought for cheap but I'm debating not cheap enough lol. It has a lot of problems with it. Suspension and steering parts has never been changed it looks like. Well just the ball joints, shocks and a steering stabilizer was changed and transmission rebuilt. Besides the usual maintenance, brakes etc it still has 21yr old parts under the Jeep that hasn't been replaced. I plan on replacing the ball joints, drag link system, tie rods, hub assembly for both front sides. Then control arms, shocks and struts. I know I need differential pinons and seals on both.

The engine I was told was replaced with a lower mileage engine below 100k a few years ago. Sadly no proof of it. It has it's weird idling issues, it doesn't shut down immediately when I turn it off, it flutters up and down with the AC on. I'm thinking I'll be changing the fuses and sensors soon. Windshield wiper motor on rear dont work and no fluid from from either side works. They dont squirt. Plus the AC blower box is a mess and deserves it's own separate page... lol.

The Transmission shifts fine in all gears but the transfer case I have no idea about. The case is the 272 model. Which I'll post the picture below if I'm mistaken. The Jeep has always been in 2wd since I've own it. The previous owner says the 4x4 works great but I never thought to actually look at the case and checked the area to see if anything is missing. The pictures I'm linking below are parts that I'm unsure of the names for them. Trying to buy my parts from Rock Auto to save money but having a hard time finding the right part for them. One is for the Transfer case and the other is on the transmission. Do you know their actual mechanic names for them?

Also how can I go about testing my transfer case to see if it works and if it doesn't, which transfer cases will be compatible with this jeep?
And last question, the suspension and steering parts. Is it better to buy their standard stock models or should I upgrade them? Lift kit parts etc or just certain brand names.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Kiroinor

Pictures I said I would link. Any help will be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
20200714_233322_1594785730609.jpg   20200714_233402_1594785745754.jpg   20200414_132741_1594785765671.jpg  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 05:10 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

wait for others to add

1st I cant geta mental picture of orientation - Right side ?
2nd looks like front diff vent tude
3rd shows this is a 242 TC

d

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 06:23 AM
wjjeep19

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiroinor View Post
[snip] ...
Also how can I go about testing my transfer case to see if it works and if it doesn't, which transfer cases will be compatible with this jeep?
And last question, the suspension and steering parts. Is it better to buy their standard stock models or should I upgrade them? Lift kit parts etc or just certain brand names.
Thanks!
Probably the easiest way to test 4wd is working is to jack the vehicle up with all four tires off the ground. Shift into 4wd and you should see all 4 tires turn - the front driveshaft should spin. I think when I bought my WJ, I tested the 4wd by taking it on a gravel parking lot, shifting it into 4wd and seeing if the front wheels were grabbing.

For replacing suspension and steering parts, unless you need extra ground clearance, do not "upgrade" with lift kit parts. OEM is probably always the best option, or at least, it has a higher chance to be correct and higher quality as those parts were used when the vehicle rolled off the line. But there are other good aftermarket suspension brands out there such as MOOG etc. MOOG makes great aftermarket coil spring isolators for example. If you want to go aftermarket over OEM, then I'd suggest starting with the suspension part you want to replace, and search the forum on here to see what others have used and if they've had success with that replacement (whether OEM or aftermarket)

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

1st photo is transfer case cable.

so the 3 photos are answered what do you want to tackle next?

post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Kiroinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
1st photo is transfer case cable.

so the 3 photos are answered what do you want to tackle next?
That's what I thought it was called but isnt there supposed to be a bushing on the shift to keep it from coming off? What would that be called? Cause it's just hanging there popping off.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
you talked about changing fuses and sensors, and then maybe the transfer case. before you waste money on any of that buy a service manual for your model year. the pics, diagrams and instructions will help you with a lot of what you are looking at, and telling you what it's called. don't replace parts if they aren't bad. that's just throwing money away. inspect, test and verify again, before randomly replacing parts.

check for fault codes using the ignition key. better yet, use the money you were going to throw at this, to buy a good code reader, and a multi-meter. go through the fault codes (if they exist) and work the problems logically. you're going to end up frustrated, then mad and broke, if you just start throwing random parts at problems, that might not even exist.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

bushing sold separate from cable, google, or visit local part store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in