99 4.7 AC Orifice Tube - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2020, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

99 4.7 AC Orifice Tube

Curious if anyone that has done ac work has used the cheaper liquid lines with a green orifice tube installed? Has your system worked with that size orifice tube?

I had my old compressor die on me so I replaced the compressor, condenser, orifice tube and accumulator. Also flushed the evaporator. System held vacuum but when filled up my pressures were off. Low side was high and high side was low. I thought the first compressor might have been a weak rebuild so I installed a new one. Same pressures and not as cold as it should be at the vents. At 1800 rpm the low side reads higher and the high side falls inline where it should be.

I cut open my old factory looking liquid line and the orifice tube was blue and looks nothing like what's on the market now. I ordered a factory liquid line to see if it fixes my problem but curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Think I just found out what it is based on an old post. Mine should be using a variable orifice tube. Will post up when I install the factory replacement.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Just an update. The factory line with the variable orifice valve fixed the issue. I don't know how the heck people using that green fixed orifice tube have working ac but it definitely did not work in my system.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 07:41 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Where did you get the OEM line? Did you find a decent price? I replaced the liquid line on mine last fall, just because I had the system apart anyway because the high pressure line had a leak. I figured that I might as well replace everything while the system was open. Now this summer, like you describe, the a/c gets cool, but not cold.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Where did you get the OEM line? Did you find a decent price? I replaced the liquid line on mine last fall, just because I had the system apart anyway because the high pressure line had a leak. I figured that I might as well replace everything while the system was open. Now this summer, like you describe, the a/c gets cool, but not cold.
Harry, I will send you the link to the one I bought since I am not sure if I can post other vendor links here. I will tell you, the part number is discontinued. I could not find it at my local dealership or any other online mopar direct stores. When you replaced yours last fall, was it a cheaper liquid line? The ones that say they have a green orifice tube, .052 size.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

Mopar 55115914AD A/C Refrigerant Liquid Hose.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrtry View Post
When you replaced yours last fall, was it a cheaper liquid line? The ones that say they have a green orifice tube, .052 size.
Yes, I don't think it specified the size, just the green orifice. It seemed to work OK during the Houston fall weather. However, it struggles to get below 60 degrees at the center vent now that summer is going full force.

WTF was Jeep thinking when they made the orifice part of the whole tube assembly? On my GM junk I can easily swap just the orifice.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 11:01 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrtry View Post
Mopar 55115914AD A/C Refrigerant Liquid Hose.
Thanks! Let the search begin...
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Mazrtry

1999 WJ 

I tried to message you directly but I am not premium member yet. I got it from the largest online seller .

Those are the temps I was seeing, 62-64 and the pressure was too high on the low side so the restriction is not sized properly.

You will be super happy once you replace it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in