1Likes
  • 1 Post By HarryH3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

5-45rfe Continuing Issues

Hello,

OK, my 5-45rfe is continuing to give issues, slipping into third and fourth. Everything seemed to point at a cracked accumulator plate, and maybe an issue with the UD/CC solenoid. After pulling the valve body, everything seemed intact. Because I modified a refurbished valve body with a Sonnax accumulator plate, I went ahead and installed it. (And stupid me knew to check the position of the detent plate before installing, but didn't, and had to pull the bloody thing apart to position it, losing 5qts ATF+4 in the process.) This change also included a refurbished solenoid pack, due to my doubts about the old one.

Codes were

P0733 (Ratio error in third)
P0734 (Ratio error in fourth)
P0740 (TCC out of range)

Codes are now

P0733 (Ratio error in third)
P0734 (Ratio error in fourth)
(The TCC code seems corrected.)

The P0740 had been there since I replaced the solenoid pack a couple years ago; it seemed to be an issue with the refurbished solenoid pack.

P0733 and P0734 appeared when the transmission suddenly started slipping into third and fourth. It'll slip upshifting or downshifting into these gears, and it seems to do it worse in third than fourth. There's a delay in going from R to D, but not as long as it was with the other valve body/solenoid pack, and this could be due to the aftermarket filter.

It shifts fine from 2 to 3 in limp mode, shifting manually. It starts out in 2nd gear when in "2" and in third gear when in "D," indicating that the OD clutch is holding.

When pulling the pan, I looked for debris or anything that may indicate a failing clutch. There was nothing abnormal. No burnt fluid. Very little material in the pan; far less than I'm used to seeing on other vehicles. (To be fair, that was in a professional setting 25 years ago!) Nothing to indicate a clutch had failed.

The pressure sensor and speed sensors are original so far as I know; I never replaced them. I'd like to check them, but can't find a procedure for a multimeter.

The biggest issue is that I just don't have codes to indicate what might be wrong. I could deal with this on pre-OBDII vehicles, but I've just not kept up with technology as I should have.

Does anyone have any idea where I should look next, and a test procedure for these sensors?

Thank you,

Josh

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-15-2020, 10:18 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Last year my trans started occasionally banging HARD into gear on upshifts, especially when hot at part throttle. No codes, but I replaced the pressure and speed sensors with new Mopar parts, just to be sure that there wasn't something right on the edge of failure. I suspected that the pressure sensor wasn't working quite right and since the sensors were nearly 20 years old, I went ahead and replaced the set. Within 25 miles or so the trans was shifting great again. (It also corrected what I always felt was a rather long, slow shift from first to second. )

I used this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/45RFE-545RF...8/192109221496
Wabatuckian likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2020, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

OK, guys. I moved on to my second hypothesis, the pressure sensor. I unplugged it and it drives perfectly now... dammit.

I'd been planning that valve body mod, but hadn't wanted to do it yet/dump the money on it yet.

I thought for sure a bad pressure sensor would throw a code and unplugging it would trigger limp mode. Neither happened. I guess I'll leave it unplugged until I order a new one.

Regards,
Josh

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2020, 03:35 PM
vet8911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
OK, guys. I moved on to my second hypothesis, the pressure sensor. I unplugged it and it drives perfectly now... dammit.

I'd been planning that valve body mod, but hadn't wanted to do it yet/dump the money on it yet.

I thought for sure a bad pressure sensor would throw a code and unplugging it would trigger limp mode. Neither happened. I guess I'll leave it unplugged until I order a new one.

Regards,
Josh
Josh...did replacing the pressure sensor work for you?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Vet,

Yes, it did. Please see https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...45rfe-4409013/ .

Josh
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2020, 09:17 AM
vet8911

Thanks Josh, i think i read that thread the other day. I have all three sensors on the way from Kolak...but i may need to do the solenoid in the near future because of the buzzing sound into drive/rev.

Some mpg improvement from the pressure sensor would be nice...
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2020, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

From what I understand, the buzzing sound is just fine. I've had it on three solenoid packs.

The first had a bad solenoid, so I replaced it with the second one. I just put a third in when I changed the valve body.

Josh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in