42re Trans should I adjust my bands?? 120,000 miles - '03 WJ 4.0L - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Should be no risk, just follow the adjustment procedure like outlined in a repair manual. Most people say it's pretty easy to do with the pan off...

I'm no trans guru, but here is trans bands according to rednecks(take it with a grain of salt) The bands are simply straps that are lined with clutch material that wrap around the drums inside the trans inner workings.(Kinda like a great big hose clamp) The drums contain the different gear sets that give you more than one forward gear, and reverse. By clamping and loosening these bands at different times for different reasons, you can make the trans change gears or directions. If these bands are out of adjustment,(from normal wear and tear) then slippage will occur, and possible trans failure from overheating. Not to mention the shifts will be sporadic. Band adjustment is just part of the regular maintenance routine with that trans to keep it humming smoothly. It would be a perfect time to adjust the bands with the trans service underway, your current mileage warrants this if it hasnt been done already. You could always have a qualified trans shop do the service this time if your uncomfortable?
The factory recommended interval for band adjusting for the 4.0's trans is "every 30K miles", so you might want to adjust them ASAP. Bigrigr is right; the Haynes manual tells how to adjust the bands, and it seems to be very simple once the pan is removed.
Great info. Are there any pdfs of the Haynes manual? Or other shop manuals. I posted a youtube I saw... See above somewhere...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 06-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I just have one of the Haynes manuals that all the auto parts stores sell. I believe it is Haynes part # 799-1921. These are available literally everywhere, and it has alot of good info in it for all kinds of repairs. If you plan on doing most of the work yourself, do yourself a favor and own one. I wont start a project without one. It has the info on band adjustment in the tune-up and regular maintenance section at the front of the book.

I do believe there are PDF files of the Factory manual out there, but I haven't been able to find one that works?

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #18 of 27 Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post

I do believe there are PDF files of the Factory manual out there, but I haven't been able to find one that works?
http://www.ifixit.com/Document/2848/.pdf

All 2199 pages! Very nice pdf.

post #19 of 27 Old 07-26-2020, 12:15 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have a wj,150000 daily driver and a xj,180000 driven weekly at least yr round till hot.
they both shift perfect,od is good and torq lock is good. i dont mess.

do plan to change juice in wj with filter. thats all...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #20 of 27 Old 07-26-2020, 06:33 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I don't know why Chrysler would make such a big deal about adjusting the bands on these transmissions if they don't need it. I figure they must know the weak points. GM guys don't have to mess with that stuff.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
I don't know why Chrysler would make such a big deal about adjusting the bands on these transmissions if they don't need it. I figure they must know the weak points. GM guys don't have to mess with that stuff.
Honestly - my biggest fear is can my mechanic do this adjusting correctly.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 PM
VNT

2002 WJ 

I would leave the bands alone, couple techs I know told me not to touch them, just do your filter and fluid changes.

I have a 4.7 but in my Durango have 46RE, just do fluid and filter changes, use Amsoil ATF, also installed B&M bulkhead drain plug. Another guy on one of the Dodge forums who rebuilds and beefs them up told me to leave it if shifting fine, said something like the material on the bands isnt that thick, so not much to adjust.

How many times have you changed the fluid
Attached Thumbnails
Quaker Hill 775.jpg   Quaker Hill 781.jpg  

86 Daytona 00 Durango 02 WJ
05 PT GT 06 PT GT 06 PT
15 WK2 17 Challenger 18 Sahara 20 Rubicon
post #23 of 27 Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

I stopped by a local transmission shop last month, asked the owner if I should have the bands adjusted. He asked me if they had been adjusted regularly, I said no. He asked if it was giving me any problems, I said no.

He said to change the fluid and filter, leave the bands alone. Ymmv.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #24 of 27 Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I'm sure most people never adjust them and they still last a long time. Chrysler is just dicking with us. It's still pretty easy to do. I used a torque wrench the first time but it was a waste of time. All you are doing is snugging it lightly, like wrist tight with your 10 mm wrench, and backing it off a certain number of turns.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-10-2020, 02:45 PM
mustangjoey

2000 WJ 

If you're going to do it, make sure you have (or invest in) a torque wrench that does inch pounds. The settings that are used for torque are something like 72 inch pounds, then you back off a certain number of turns. I've seen a few Youtube vids, and they say if you don't have a torque wrench that does inch pounds, to 'just tighten it snugly.' I don't like descriptions like that, because 10 people will consider snug something different.

An inch pound torque wrench from somewhere like Harbor Freight should work fine, as it's close enough for government work and much better than winging it.

I'd also replace the 3-4 accumulator spring when you're in there. You can find them on the Cascade website.

Here's a vid, looks like an easy job.

82D Airborne Division, '86-'89
XJ and WJ Lover
post #26 of 27 Old 08-10-2020, 08:11 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

What is the issue with the 3-4 accumulator spring? tia
post #27 of 27 Old 08-11-2020, 05:04 PM
mustangjoey

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
What is the issue with the 3-4 accumulator spring? tia
Here's a link that tells what they do: https://www.trucktransdiag.com/downl...cumulators.pdf

Check the vid out. At the end, they replace one, saying it will wear out or break (the one they remove in the vid is in two pieces). It's a cheap fix, and quick to do while you're in there.

82D Airborne Division, '86-'89
XJ and WJ Lover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in