42re Trans should I adjust my bands?? 120,000 miles - '03 WJ 4.0L - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L w 42re. I would love to know about adjusting the bands - with my past jeep and Ford trucks etc... I always pulled the pan and changed filter - cleaned magnet and refilled - but never tried to adjust the bands. Also I know some people say there are better ways to change the trans fluid then just letting gravity do it's thing once the pan is off....

I am thinking of changing my hoses to the cooler at the same time.

Fluid is brown but runs & shifts perfect. Has 120'000 miles on it.

Any advice on any of this would be great! I saw this youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7_Do8JQWJ8

Attached Thumbnails
20200515_153314_1590518418377.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I dont have any experience with the 42rfe trans, but i have read alot about adjusting these bands on a fairly regular basis. I would plan to do the fluid and filter swap soon if the fluid is brown, makes total sense to adjust those bands while in there.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 24 Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
I dont have any experience with the 42rfe trans, but i have read alot about adjusting these bands on a fairly regular basis. I would plan to do the fluid and filter swap soon if the fluid is brown, makes total sense to adjust those bands while in there.
Thanks for your input. I wonder if there is any risk to doing this - it is a 17 year old transmission with 120,000 miles. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

post #4 of 24 Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 AM
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

This was my thoughts too. Trans seems to shift fine and ill be doing the filter and fluid change soon. Mine has 220k and I don't want to mess anything up.

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl
post #5 of 24 Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleCamry View Post
This was my thoughts too. Trans seems to shift fine and ill be doing the filter and fluid change soon. Mine has 220k and I don't want to mess anything up.
I wish someone could explain bands to me. 😀
post #6 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Should be no risk, just follow the adjustment procedure like outlined in a repair manual. Most people say it's pretty easy to do with the pan off...

I'm no trans guru, but here is trans bands according to rednecks(take it with a grain of salt) The bands are simply straps that are lined with clutch material that wrap around the drums inside the trans inner workings.(Kinda like a great big hose clamp) The drums contain the different gear sets that give you more than one forward gear, and reverse. By clamping and loosening these bands at different times for different reasons, you can make the trans change gears or directions. If these bands are out of adjustment,(from normal wear and tear) then slippage will occur, and possible trans failure from overheating. Not to mention the shifts will be sporadic. Band adjustment is just part of the regular maintenance routine with that trans to keep it humming smoothly. It would be a perfect time to adjust the bands with the trans service underway, your current mileage warrants this if it hasnt been done already. You could always have a qualified trans shop do the service this time if your uncomfortable?

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Should be no risk, just follow the adjustment procedure like outlined in a repair manual. Most people say it's pretty easy to do with the pan off...

I'm no trans guru, but here is trans bands according to rednecks(take it with a grain of salt) The bands are simply straps that are lined with clutch material that wrap around the drums inside the trans inner workings.(Kinda like a great big hose clamp) The drums contain the different gear sets that give you more than one forward gear, and reverse. By clamping and loosening these bands at different times for different reasons, you can make the trans change gears or directions. If these bands are out of adjustment,(from normal wear and tear) then slippage will occur, and possible trans failure from overheating. Not to mention the shifts will be sporadic. Band adjustment is just part of the regular maintenance routine with that trans to keep it humming smoothly. It would be a perfect time to adjust the bands with the trans service underway, your current mileage warrants this if it hasnt been done already. You could always have a qualified trans shop do the service this time if your uncomfortable?
Great explanation - being Scots Irish initially from Pennsylvania - I am fluent in redneck.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 07:58 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Excellent....now go find a mud puddle to jump into...Ha Ha

post #9 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Excellent....now go find a mud puddle to jump into...Ha Ha
🗽More like Liberty State Park haha
post #10 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In the history of the Torqueflite (of which the 42RE is a descendant, there have been (even from Chrysler) all sorts of recomendations from every 30K, to 'only if you have sloppy shifts'.

When not abused, that's a very non-trouble gearbox (my mechanic friend claims they are much more reliable than the newer stuff). I'd almost leave it alone unless you feel slippage or hard shifting. But if you do adjust, be sure to follow the steps precisely, else you might make it worse.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
In the history of the Torqueflite (of which the 42RE is a descendant, there have been (even from Chrysler) all sorts of recomendations from every 30K, to 'only if you have sloppy shifts'.

When not abused, that's a very non-trouble gearbox (my mechanic friend claims they are much more reliable than the newer stuff). I'd almost leave it alone unless you feel slippage or hard shifting. But if you do adjust, be sure to follow the steps precisely, else you might make it worse.
Now you are scaring me. 😀
post #12 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyCat View Post

Don't be. The process is straightforward, just pay attention to the torque and turns. The problems occur when people try to 'wing it'

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #13 of 24 Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyCat View Post

Don't be. The process is straightforward, just pay attention to the torque and turns. The problems occur when people try to 'wing it'
I would never wing it. Haha
post #14 of 24 Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Let us know if you feel any difference. I have 168k on mine and skipped that step when I serviced mine being afraid to create a problem I didn't already have.
BeetleCamry likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-01-2020, 04:05 PM
mudpack
2004 WJ 

mudpack

Quote:

The factory recommended interval for band adjusting for the 4.0's trans is "every 30K miles", so you might want to adjust them ASAP. Bigrigr is right; the Haynes manual tells how to adjust the bands, and it seems to be very simple once the pan is removed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in