42RE Solenoid Upgrade - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Indywood

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
ElijahM

42RE Solenoid Upgrade

Does anyone have any suggestions on who to go with for parts when replacing my Governor Pressure Solenoid? I’d rather have upgraded and more heavy duty replacement parts so I don’t have to worry about it in the future. It’s a 2000 WJ with the 4.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 07:13 AM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

I was looking at two kits, one was Mopar, and the other was Borg-Warner Heavy Duty. I asked the vendor on ebay what the difference was, and they said they were both the same? Not sure if that means Mopar is really Borg-Warner? Not sure if this helps you, but I was wondering the same. I was also wanting torque values.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 168,000 miles
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 08:25 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I used these guys just did the service kit that included new solenoid, sensors, accumulator spring, filter and gasket. I strongly suggest getting a pan with a plug from rock auto or someone too makes the next service much easier. I also went with lube locker gasket as I couldn't get the cork one to seal 100%.

https://globaltransmissionparts.com/

post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 AM
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I recently had the solenoid replaced last year on my 01. It lasted for a bit but the transmission gave me other issues.It was recently rebuilt. I have read on here and other places issues that owners said were normal-they are not. People got to face it-the 42RE is a problematic transmission that was used in a lot of vehicles. I was told there are not really any options to swap the trans with something more reliable.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
There's a bunch of 15-20 year old WJs rolling around with this trans in it still. Is it super strong no and it can be finicky if not maintained but I tend to think overall it's pretty reliable for what it was designed to do and the motor it's mated too.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM
JoMc67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
I used these guys just did the service kit that included new solenoid, sensors, accumulator spring, filter and gasket. I strongly suggest getting a pan with a plug from rock auto or someone too makes the next service much easier. I also went with lube locker gasket as I couldn't get the cork one to seal 100%.

@LuthWJ77...I just recently purchased that same kit from them this past year, but didn't install yet. I also installed a 42rfe Deep Tranny Pan that has cooling fins & drain plug from PMLcovers.com.

Anyways, how is that 42rfe Kit working out for you (firmer shifts, etc) compared to stock.

Joe
post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2020, 03:22 PM
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The reason they are still on the road is almost nothing can be swapped in it. The fluid needs to be changed when its dirty-was told every 30,000 miles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 03:29 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMc67 View Post
@LuthWJ77...I just recently purchased that same kit from them this past year, but didn't install yet. I also installed a 42rfe Deep Tranny Pan that has cooling fins & drain plug from PMLcovers.com.

Anyways, how is that 42rfe Kit working out for you (firmer shifts, etc) compared to stock.

Joe
Jo...So I bought my 04 with 163k on it pretty clean but definitely had some mechanical issues. The trans would shift pretty hard from 1-2 and 2-3 and going from F to R or vice versa it was shudder some. Figured it could be ready to go out but it was worth throwing a couple hundred at it with new filter fluid and this kit. Now it basically shifts perfectly. Firm but smooth and on time I was actually shocked it made any difference at all let along basically fix it. With that said it's been 2 years but I've only put about 5k on it I mostly tow it to the trails and occasionally to work but from my experience this is worth a shot. Even if you have a rebuild in the near future take the solenoid out and put in the new one so you're not out anything really except fluid and a filter.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
The reason they are still on the road is almost nothing can be swapped in it. The fluid needs to be changed when its dirty-was told every 30,000 miles.
Yeah they say that for the diffs and t case too I think this was pretty common for low mileage service intervals for vehicles that era.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM
eljeepwj
2003 WJ 

I have debated upgrading the solenoid to the Borg-Warner one for some time since I got a p1762 (i think a p1761 as well). The manual shows that the pressure sensor and the governor solenoid must be replaced at the same time. I had also heard bad things about non-Mopar sensors being installed in these transmissions so I went with a mopar kit off of ebay for the replacement instead of the BW one. I had a reoccurring code and after checking the parts again I found that the sensor they sent me was not a mopar sensor and was throwing a code (improper voltage I believe). Once swapped with the Mopar sensor everything runs fine.

Reason for sharing is that I'm sure the upgraded solenoid can be worth it but use either the original sensor or a new Mopar one from the stealership.
The BW solenoid claims it has a 15% more fluid flow which technically means smoother shifting.
I like using cascade transmissions (https://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/) and will most likely be purchasing a Borg-Warner from them in the future. The page on the BW outlines some of the differences between stock one.
But honestly I'd just go Mopar even if it's pricey, saves a lot of headaches later on. If the first mopar solenoid lasted you 200k miles there's no reason why a new one won't last another 200k...

2003 Jeep WJ 4.0 2in IRO w Procomp Es9000 on d windows 245/75/r16 DD
post #11 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 03:40 AM
JoMc67

Garage
Quote:
Jo...So I bought my 04 with 163k on it pretty clean but definitely had some mechanical issues. The trans would shift pretty hard from 1-2 and 2-3 and going from F to R or vice versa it was shudder some. Figured it could be ready to go out but it was worth throwing a couple hundred at it with new filter fluid and this kit. Now it basically shifts perfectly. Firm but smooth and on time I was actually shocked it made any difference at all let along basically fix it. With that said it's been 2 years but I've only put about 5k on it I mostly tow it to the trails and occasionally to work but from my experience this is worth a shot. Even if you have a rebuild in the near future take the solenoid out and put in the new one so you're not out anything really except fluid and a filter.
Sounds Good, and will see how this Kit works out...

It's supposed to be a Full Upgraded-Kit that includes things like Gasket (which I get a Lube-Locker instead), Mopar Filter and Sensors (including a Worg-Berner Upgrade...or some such), and a Upgraded Spring & Clip....

From what I understand, it will closely resemble a 242 HD once installed.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 07:45 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMc67 View Post
Sounds Good, and will see how this Kit works out...

It's supposed to be a Full Upgraded-Kit that includes things like Gasket (which I get a Lube-Locker instead), Mopar Filter and Sensors (including a Worg-Berner Upgrade...or some such), and a Upgraded Spring & Clip....

From what I understand, it will closely resemble a 242 HD once installed.
242 HD is a transfer case has nothing to do with this topic but get on YouTube there are videos showing this work being done so you have an idea when you drop the pan what to expect. It's not hard but it's busy in there and there are some tricks to it.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 AM
JoMc67

Garage
Quote:
242 HD is a transfer case has nothing to do with this topic but get on YouTube there are videos showing this work being done so you have an idea when you drop the pan what to expect. It's not hard but it's busy in there and there are some tricks to it.
Oops, I made a Technical Error on my part, and confused the Tranny w/a TC...Old age I guess :-(
post #14 of 14 Old 02-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Indywood

2004 WJ 

Quote:

Just did this and a little more, agree with everything he said- Dorman 265-839 trans pan, $24 on amazon, AND the Lubelocker gasket. If you're still not happy, or simply can't resist the urge to f**k with it (there are a lot of us on here) you could add the Sonnax sure cure kit, governor bore plugs, and Sonnax 2nd accumulator (aluminum to replace stock plastic body) and the 42RE doesn't do half bad. Careful with the pan bolts, torque to spec only, this case can crack if overtightened.
tjmaximus and edhammond71 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in