42re snap ring repair write up with pics and part numbers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

42re snap ring repair write up with pics and part numbers

This maybe a long one

The FSM has great pics for this....I recommend that everyone have one....for the info you get its well worth the $11 or however much they are.

YOU NEED ACCESS TO A SHOP PRESS FOR THIS REPAIR

If you have access to a press this repair takes about 45min-1hr, starting from when the overdrive unit is on the bench, im not going over how to remove that. If you cant remove it then you probably shouldnt attempt this. However there is a gasket between the OD unit and trans, it stays attached to the trans side. If you are careful it can be re-used. I re-used mine so I do not have a part number for this gasket.

All 3 rings cost $17.98 at local dealership

You have to remove all 3 so why not replace them? You will need:

Direct Clutch Snap Ring
Overdrive Clucth Wave Spring
Overdrive Clucth Reaction Snap Ring

Part Numbers:
NOTE: The dealership printed "spring" next to all 3 parts on my order form so these may not be in the correct order.

I had 2 rings break in my overdrive(OD) unit, the common direct clutch snap ring (on bottom) and the OD clutch wave spring (on top)...notice the width diference in the rings, the direct clutch snap ring is about 1/8 inch thick and the OD clutch wave spring is about 1/4 inch thick(the OD clutch reaction snap ring is same size). This can be used to tell which ring peices are in your pan.

Ok lets start:

This is the OD piston it most likely will not come off with OD unit but if it does just set it aside and make sure not to lose the OD piston spacer.

spacer

First thing is remove the OD clucth pack retaining ring

Then you can remove the OD clutch pack. Its important to note the order and direction these come out and put them back the same way

Then remove this bearing (not sure what its called). Below these bearing is the surface that you will use in the shop press. Place the ram on the surface with the 6 holes(you may have to use an adaptor depending on the diameter of your press ram)

Here is where you remove the OD clutch wave spring and OD clutch reaction snap ring. The wave ring in my unit was completely broken so its not in this pic but it should be right on top of reaction snap ring in the same groove

Its just below my finger on the outside of case and goes all the way around, you can see the notched edges on right side of pic. This can be removed with a screw driver.

Now this is the direct clutch snap ring that has to be pressed out
(its the dark 1/4 circle next to the notches)

There are 2 ways to do the next part (using shop press to compress the clutch spring down enough to remove the direct clutch snap ring)

You can remove this access panel to remove bearing locating ring to remove the whole clutch drum from the OD unit housing.

Or (what i did) you can leave everything together. The important part is you have to make sure you DO NOT press against the OD unit case. You have to press against the output shaft, its tight in there but its simple. The spring only needs to be compress about 2 pumps (about 1/8 inch) to remove and install the snap ring.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Lay the new direct clutch snap ring in place before you compress the clutch spring to remove the old one. If you dont you will have to release the press which will push the direct drive clutchs all the way out of drum and you will need an alignment tool to get them back in place. I did this part at work and was not allowed to take pics of this step but once you get to this part its self explanatory. Again just make sure you have the press plate on the output shaft and the ram of the press in the aforemention space above. Any questions on this step just ask.

Now you can just reverse the steps and bolt back to the trans.

A couple important notes when putting everything back together:

The OD clutch reaction snap ring and the OD clutch wave spring go in the same groove. The reaction snap ring goes first then the wave spring directly on top of it. Be sure to offset the opening of the sring and snap ring....this pic is just to show the 2 together

Here is the reaction snap ring and wave spring side by side. The snap ring is the one with the notched ends and well the wave spring is the wavy one.

Hope this helps, if not I can try and help more just ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Nice write up. Hiw much would this cost in the shop?

I think we all just need a beer. :cheers2: (courtesy of ChrisHager)

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

not sure but im sure more than $18

post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 PM
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

A mod should sticky this!!!!!

Awesome write up!

Bronson = 21 yrs. old
BUILT, NOT BOUGHT - WORKED HARD FOR, NOT KISSED MOMMY/DADDYS A** FOR!
Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

^ I agree! Why do I get the feeling this is going to come in handy...

Sent from inside my 4.0.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
Valentine - 99 XJ Limited
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

Yea for how easy it is its just not worth putting it back together and driving it until breaks completely
post #7 of 24 Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 AM
BlakeCary
2002 WJ 

Wj

I know this is an old write up but is there anything that could use an upgrade/update while this is all apart?
post #8 of 24 Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

Not sure about upgrades but replacing the clutches in the clutch pack probably wouldn't hurt
post #9 of 24 Old 04-26-2015, 08:47 PM
car5car
2002 M-38 

Thanks! Nice write up!

01 XJ 2wd 4.0
post #10 of 24 Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 AM
BlakeCary
2002 WJ 

Just to add to the thread.

When I dropped my OD unit off at the trans shop the guy informed me that the reason the snap rings break is because of the 3-4 spring in the bottom of trans breaking.
After I got back home I installed the OD unit and T-case and drained the trans fluid. He was spot on!
I dont have a part number for the spring but im sure if you look it up or call a dealer you can get one, its a spring inside a spring.
Its stupid easy to replace but here is some pics of what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0090.jpg   IMAG0089.jpg   IMAG0085.jpg  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

Nice tip.....easy enough, no reason not to change it
post #12 of 24 Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM
GTPDrew
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ View Post
Nice write up. Hiw much would this cost in the shop?
Just noticed this thread... Bought my WJ in 2006 & dropped the pan, found about 1/3 of that snap ring in the pan. Slapped pan back up & went back to GM Dealer where I Stole the Jeep from & they told me they would pay for repair. Couple of points, I say stole as I got it for about $500- under wholesale as being a GM Dealer they just wanted to quickly get rid of it as they took it in on trade-in.

I couldn't find a Chrysler Stealership who would perform the repair but after speaking with about 6 of them finally found 1 who removed & did an "overhaul" on the trans plus 1 axle bearing & seal, Snap Ring $11.75, Trans Seal package, converter, clutch spring, valve body filter, pinion drive seal and fluid change.

Total was $1470.09 which the GM Dealer paid for.

Been ok since. However now the Trans will be rebuilt with HD parts in a week or two as it's been slipping for the last few months between 2nd and 3rd. Did an accumulator spring which stopped the slippage for about two weeks but now it's slipping again.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-28-2015, 11:21 AM
gcjeeping

2001 WJ 

Here is a good video to along with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

Nice....
post #15 of 24 Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Added to the FAQ!

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in