• 1 Post By Ntrenn
  • 1 Post By rep-tile

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

42re Overdrive Unit Snap Ring Replacement

Hi all

I've been getting quotes to fit new snap rings in my overdrive unit and garages are asking silly money (more than I paid for the Jeep!) so I am wondering if it is something I can do myself with the right tools?

I've read the write up on here and watched the video on how to do it and it seems a reasonably easy job if you have a shop press, so if I was to purchase these two things would I be able to do the job at home?

Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails
shop press.jpg   snap ring kit.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 AM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Have you thought about just replacing the whole rear unit that has the snap ring in it? I've seen them on ebay.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 175,000 miles
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2021, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
Have you thought about just replacing the whole rear unit that has the snap ring in it? I've seen them on ebay.

I certainly have been looking but it works out at silly money here in the UK. Cheapest is around $700 once you factor in delivery and import fees.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2021, 06:54 AM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojivar View Post
I certainly have been looking but it works out at silly money here in the UK. Cheapest is around $700 once you factor in delivery and import fees.
That's a little expensive.
Ojivar likes this.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 175,000 miles
post #5 of 11 Old 09-25-2021, 12:49 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I have not done this repair myself, as all my closest WJ's are v8's, but the video seems to show it being a fairly straightforward process. Just be careful when you have it locked down, so as not to cause the bear trap to go bang on you...I would buy the press and snap rings and give it a go. Then you have a press to use for the axle bearings in the rear when they go bad as well.
Ojivar likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2021, 01:59 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

My only advice is to buy a bigger press, not for this job, but for future jobs. I have a 12-ton press and really wish that I would have bought a 20-ton model. Not because of the extra force, but because of the extra width between the uprights on the 20-ton. Sometimes you need to press a part in or out of a much larger part, but it doesn't quite fit where you want it to go. For items you need to press out that are at the edge of the larger part, the working space is reduced by half, as you can only really use the space from the center to one side or the other. I sometimes have to get creative on how to support a part that's hanging off of the main crossbar of the press.
222Doc, Bigrigr and Ojivar like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2021, 05:24 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
My only advice is to buy a bigger press, not for this job, but for future jobs. I have a 12-ton press and really wish that I would have bought a 20-ton model. Not because of the extra force, but because of the extra width between the uprights on the 20-ton. Sometimes you need to press a part in or out of a much larger part, but it doesn't quite fit where you want it to go. For items you need to press out that are at the edge of the larger part, the working space is reduced by half, as you can only really use the space from the center to one side or the other. I sometimes have to get creative on how to support a part that's hanging off of the main crossbar of the press.

Good point Harry. I have wished for the 24 ton press everytime i do a rear axle bearing on one of these Jeeps as well. Maybe the way to go is to spend the same money on this repair that the shop charges, and buy the bigger press. but then you save money later on on these type of projects.
Ojivar likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Ntrenn

If you have no issues with pulling the overdrive unit yourself, many shops will swap out the snapring for just a few clams…say 50 to 100. If it’s the outer ones, it takes all of 10 minutes. If you are changing the direct snap rings, about triple that.
Ojivar likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2021, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Thanks all, I think I am going to order the rings first as they will take a while to get here from Canada/US, then see if any shop will fit them for me if I remove the unit myself and bring it in. If no one will do it I'll get the press.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-27-2021, 08:52 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

If you have a 2WD, the overdrive unit is relatively simple to separate and pull out the transmission, otherwise you have to drop the T-case first. It can be done in your garage, you just have to make sure to support the transmission so the output shaft doesn't "bind" inside the OD. The rings that hold the OD in its housing are easy to swap. The ones that hold the OD shaft together are under extreme pressure and could literally kill you if you attempted to remove without a press. What I've done, I went and got a spare from the junk yard and rebuilt it. That way I just had to swap the rebuild one with the old one. Went to a transmission shop, that took 5 min and they refused to charge me. Reinstall can be frustrating. Again you need to make sure the transmission is supported. You need a replacement gasket for where it mates with the transmission.

You might find this video helpful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRv2fU10GLk
Ojivar likes this.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

2020 RECOUNT
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2021, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
If you have a 2WD, the overdrive unit is relatively simple to separate and pull out the transmission, otherwise you have to drop the T-case first. It can be done in your garage, you just have to make sure to support the transmission so the output shaft doesn't "bind" inside the OD. The rings that hold the OD in its housing are easy to swap. The ones that hold the OD shaft together are under extreme pressure and could literally kill you if you attempted to remove without a press. What I've done, I went and got a spare from the junk yard and rebuilt it. That way I just had to swap the rebuild one with the old one. Went to a transmission shop, that took 5 min and they refused to charge me. Reinstall can be frustrating. Again you need to make sure the transmission is supported. You need a replacement gasket for where it mates with the transmission.

You might find this video helpful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRv2fU10GLk

Thank you that's incredibly helpful. I will be talking to my local mechanic soon in the hopes he will let me use his shop for the work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in