42RE - kick when coming to a stop - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveykid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2021, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
anarky321
2004 WJ 

Wj 42RE - kick when coming to a stop

only issue im having with the transmission is for the last 2 weeks or so I've noticed a slight kick sometimes when coming to a stop

Is there a specific component failure that would cause this or do I need to start with just fluid+filter change? i have no idea what maintenance was done on the car before I bought it but it only has 145k

2004 WJ 4.0L Freedom 4wd (daily)
2002 WJ 4.0L Laredo 2wd (backup)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2021, 02:05 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

always a good idea fluid and filter with a new to you car. Be sure to use ATF+4 not universal or one type fits all just ATF+4.

Try these for a easy fast inexpensive checks - to get started
> as you slow dwn shift to N - does it still have that 'kick'?
> Also try to check for codes even if CEL is off.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2021, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
anarky321
2004 WJ 

if im going to replace the t-pan with an aftermarket one on the 42re - is there anything wrong with drilling a hole on the bottom to drain the fluid out if im trashing it anyway? any kind of fire risk there?

post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2021, 07:42 AM
Daveykid
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't, only because if for some reason you can't get the existing t-pan off you've rendered your Jeep useless. Let's say you can't get a bolt off, you can at least put the other bolts back in and use your Jeep until you find an acceptable solution.
jtec likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2021, 01:42 PM
darkstarmoto
2004 WJ 

If you put a wrench on the bolts and get a 1/4 turn, then I'd say punch a hole with an ice pick(not drill as it will come down the bit and sling all over). Get the Dorman pan with drain bolt....it's priceless for changing fluid next time.

I agree with JTec to trouble shoot it firs to confirm. What does the fluid look like when you check the level? Clean bright red or brown and smells burnt?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2021, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
anarky321
2004 WJ 

fluid feels/smells fine but for all i know the previous owner never changed it in 150k....also there is a huge sharp dent in the bottom like someone was trying to use a pick to punch through the pan but gave up on it

is there any chance the metal would damage anything on the valve body if you try to punch it through with a chisel? I already have the Dorman pan on the way its just going to take 2 weeks to ship according to amazon....2 weeks won't make a huge difference though

post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2021, 07:30 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Don't drill or punch a hole, just drop the pan. Don't risk unnecessary damage.

Leave ~4 bolts installed on one corner, remove the rest. Loosen but do not remove those 4. Knock/pry the pan loose; the opposite corner will drop and the fluid will drain from there. Loosen the 4 bolts to increase the pan droop.

Fluid will still be in the pan when it "stops" draining. Push the pan back up and hold while you remove the 4 bolts. Then keep the pan level as you drop it to contain remaining fluid.

You will need a largish drip pan or sheet of cardboard because fluid will continue to rain from all over the tranny. Driveway is not really recommended here because any wind at all will blow around the falling drops.

Protect your eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2021, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
anarky321
2004 WJ 

question - with ATF being about $20 for 4 quarts - would it make sense to dump 4 quarts of fluid in, let it slush around for ~2 days then dump it and put 4 new quarts + new filter in?

the point being since there's 9.5qt total in the 42RE you're getting more of the old fluid out that way? im pretty sure the previous owner hasn't changed it in at least 80k

edit: or would it be smarter to just let it sit for several hours and drain and get ~7qt in a single change?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in