4.7 sludge at 99,000 miles - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Don Stamper

2004 WJ 

4.7 sludge at 99,000 miles

I was around to see first hand what Quaker state would do but this is another level and more about design than oil. The first is about a cup of crud that was scraped out of the TOP of one valve cover,,,,where oil never stands.. This one has great oil pressure for about a minute and then goes to nothing.. Go figure! I can't imagine the heat it takes to cook oil at this level no mater how bad the maintenance is. When you poke it with a screw driver it flakes off like a crispy crust. This is a super clean, 99k mile DD. I took a piece of 1/2 copper pipe taped inside a shop vac hose and started sucking all I could out of the top of the head. Total of both sides over flows a quart mason jar. Thinking today the 4.7 was not a good idea on my part. DS

Attached Thumbnails
pile of sludge.jpg   head sludge.jpg   cam.jpg   valve cover before.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 06:14 AM
Alex_

did the jeep ever overheat?
post #3 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Don Stamper

2004 WJ 

My guess would be it "lived" hot its whole life to cook oil to a crust. I just bought it from a dealer that took it on trade but I talked to the lady that owned it who told me it had not. That it just dropped oil pressure and she turned it off and got rid of it. I paid $600 for it. Runs, and sounds like new until the pressure drops and then gets a little valve train noise and I shut it off. Good Compression. If I can get that windage tray off the oil pan today without losing my cool,,,,I'll know more. 40 minutes to drop the pan and 40 minutes messing with gasket got me nowhere.....

post #4 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Chris Radley

It appears that maybe she never changed the oil and only topped it off. That’s one of the worst I’ve seen. Not sure how you would even start to clean that except to tear it down and pressure wash and hot tank it.

Good luck
99SK04GTX and thumperjohn151 like this.
post #5 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Someone is not being honest or accurate about what maintenance is taking place for that vehicle.
Look at how ling I've been here and my posts....never seen anything like that reported here.

You might start by filling it up to the top of the fill neck with some diesel, let it sit for a week, turn it over by hand a few times, drain, fill with oil, then do a few normal oil changes in rapid succession of 50 miles or so with some cheap oil. I'd be afraid of where that stuff is going to end up though. Cannot believe the lifters are still operational.

It's actually a testament to how WELL the engine is built to still run like that.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #6 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM
oldRodney
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Radley View Post
It appears that maybe she never changed the oil and only topped it off. Thatís one of the worst Iíve seen. Not sure how you would even start to clean that except to tear it down and pressure wash and hot tank it.

Good luck
I AGREE WITH CHRIS,
This is the worst case of crud I have ever seen....

DON, please don't try to save this engine by cleaning, I think it is ruined, there have been small pieces of crud circulating in the oil for years, trying to clean will just cause more problems down the road.
it needs to be removed and torn apart and rebuilt....
SORRY TO SAY--- I think the time spent tearing it down(removing the oil pan) is wasted
you could have removed the engine by now...
please let us know what you end up doing..
Good luck my friend..
post #7 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Yeah, that is not the fault of the engine, that is complete lack of maintenance. That is literally what oil does when it's well beyond it's service life.
thumperjohn151 and IMMORTEN like this.
post #8 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Someone definitely didn't change the oil (until it was too late). You could probably save the engine, but it'll be easier with it out of the Jeep to do that.
IMMORTEN likes this.

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #9 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

It looks like the granny that owned it never changed the oil, let it overheat a time or three and topped it off periodically from a jug of molasses. You'd be better off rebuilding it BEFORE it throws something and really damages some hard parts.

All it probably needs is a complete teardown, cleanup and reassembly but I wouldn't recommend doing anything less than a proper minimal rebuild if you're going to go to the trouble of tearing it down. Replace bearings, timing components (at least the "plastic" parts), rings, seals, etc. Also, go ahead and throw the valve lash adjusters away and get new ones unless you're seriously into the bonsai-like frustration that would be required to tear those down and clean them up.

As for the windage tray, you may be having trouble getting it removed because it's actually fastened down. There are bolts or something holding it in place. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what but maybe someone else will comment.

1999 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
2001 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #10 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Don Stamper

2004 WJ 

So much for the advice of finding a good, clean. low mileage, never off roaded wj. I finally got the pan separated from the windage tray early this morning and was exactly what you would expect. I pulled a few rod caps for fun,,, surprising how nice the bearings look. I wouldn't hesitate to run 'em but I'm sure you can't tell that from a picture. I have a small block that turns 7800 rpm with much more worn bearings. Thought you guys might enjoy some pictures so you can wonder what YOUR motor might look like if you don't really know who had it and how they REALLY maintained it. Not looking for advice though. Just trying to contribute to the forum for your entertainment. Might pull it out,,might not,, might pull the heads,, might put in a oil pump, with chains/tensioners, or might put her back together and trade it in at a jeep dealer just for irony,,(JOKE) or just see how long it runs.
Attached Thumbnails
pan crud.jpg   pan2.jpg   pile of sludge.jpg  
99sajeep likes this.
post #11 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Don Stamper

2004 WJ 

I have the car fax records that show oil and filter changes almost every year. There are a couple years its not listed and one the it was changed twice. Some places don't report it but non the less,, it didn't get changed enough and it got hot I suppose but I think there are other problems. Just my opinion.

Here are the bearings. Looks like whoever had it knew to enough to turn it off when the pressure dropped.
Attached Thumbnails
berings2.jpg   bearings.jpg   hand.jpg  
post #12 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Something seems amiss with that OCI documentation.
Is it possible to verify that the engine was not swapped with a JY "special"?

Even if it was allowed to get that hot (repeatedly) there would probably be a bad HG now, or a new radiator if it was swapped.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #13 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 03:11 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
looks like it was filled with crude oil.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
looks like it was filled with crude oil.
Looks more like oil-based drilling mud!

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #15 of 55 Old 08-16-2019, 01:28 AM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Leaking valve stem seals. Exhaust gas got pushed into the engine and coked up the oil, I had lots of chunks in my cylinder heads when i removed them. I just went through the same thing on my 4.7 H.O. just not nearly as bad.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
Valentine - 99 XJ Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in