4.7 E-Fan Issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 04:44 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

no code for overheat, and not reaching 223DegF - not a overheat condition or the normal fan kick on temp. WHAT makes you suspect overheating? 220F in normal.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
The Jeep will continue to rise in temperature if left running. When it overheated for the first time IT did reach the max point on the temperature gauge WHICH initiated the check engine lights right when before I turned it off. The E-fan WILL not come on when it reaches the 223DegF, or when the A/C and defrost is engaged. The temperature just keeps climbing, it doesn't go down. I thought that the normal operating temp for the 4.7 engine is between 195-210, no?
post #18 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Been thinking about this today as i was working under the jeep. I have access to another GC like mine, because my son has one Nearly identical to mine. His is also a 2000 limited model with the quadradrive system in it. I had him check his fan operation while it was idling and cold. The fan DEFINITELY came on when he hit the A/C button. So..based on what was said earlier, and in conjunction with this redneck test, it appears Dwayne, that if your fan is not operating when the A/C is on, you have a fan control problem, regardless of the outside air temp or coolant temp. The easiest way to verify the fan operation, is to look through the mechanical fan blades, while the engine is idling, and see if the Electric fan is working. Just dont get to close with your nose! If it isnt working, then check the available voltage at the fan relay, like JTEC recommended.I will be going there next also.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's

post #19 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes you can test it with a voltmeter(best option), or a voltage test light.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #20 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Hey everyone - just an update (haven't gotten too far yet)
So I have not tested the voltage at the fan relay yet due to me being busy and also not being able to find my voltmeter, but will be doing that hopefully later today. I took a look at the Jeep again last night and was looking at different harnesses and wires, and was jiggling wires around hoping they would kick on the E-Fan (very redneck) - but still nothing. I really wonder is a wire is shorted out somewhere. But after some more researching I also found that maybe my PCM is bad? I will give another update after I do some more testing of the wires.

Also - the first night it overheated still plays in my head. It is just weird that the Jeep started overheating out of nowhere but I wonder if something did get shorted, just hear me out. The night the Jeep overheated, it was still new to me and I wanted to see how powerful the V8 was, so I floored it seeing how fast it would pick up. Then a few minutes later after normal cruising I looked down and saw that it was starting to overheat....so did I break my Jeep? What does anyone else have to say about that?
Thanks!
post #21 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:28 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

before condemning the PCM do some testing ! !

Checking at relay* is an easy place to start. As I posted simple easy intuitive - if unsure ASK for help ... don't just guess

* diagram above

post #22 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:32 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

My 2 Flooring the engine is not a good idea -

post #23 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I am starting to wonder about some mechanical issues here also. But don't jump to conclusions! Maybe stuck thermostat, plugged radiator, faulty water pump, slipping mechanical fan cluth, etc. I have accelerated hard many times in mine after doing various work like tune-up, fuel pump, etc. and have never had it spike in temperature. Mine only got a little warm while i was out doing some light wheeling on a Saturday. That being said, you know you have to start with the easiest and most obvious first. Your electric fan is not working, you need to find out why. At some point when the weather warms up you will HAVE to have it. Take one issue at a time, figure this fan out, and see what happens. It may be the whole problem, but if not, it certainly is A problem. Mine has checked out right up to the fan itself, looks like i need a new one.

post #24 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 10:12 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Bigrigr did yu jup the cavitys (3 to 4) in the relay connector to check fan operation?
Attached Images

Bigrigr likes this.

post #25 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Jtec I did not jump the relay, I unplugged the fan motor connector. I then checked for voltage there with the A/C commanded on. 11.79 volts. I then put full battery voltage to the fan side of the connector and no action. Thanks for the heads up though.

Where do you get all these schematics and diagrams? Is this whats in the Factory service manual I keep hearing about? If so, where is the best place to get one?

post #26 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Ok, im not sure if this is the right place to put this, I dont want to piggyback on DwaynWK's thread, but it kinda all fits? Maybe? If i'm outta bounds here let me know and i will start my own.

Jtec, i have now replaced my E-fan, and still cannot get it to come on on its own. I tested the fan itself before putting it in, I have jumperd pin #3-#4 of the New relay connector and the fan comes on.
I removed the white connector from the PCM and checked for continuity between Pin C-17 and pin #2 of the relay connector. Its good to go. I back probed the #2 pin on the relay with it hooked up, and i can ground this pin and start the fan at will, But with the engine idling, or with just the key on engine off, the fan does not come on when i press the A/C button inside. I also found a unhooked ground wire that went from the back of the PCM to what looked like the stud post near the passenger side valve cover so i hooked it up.(when i saw this i figured i had it cured-but to no avail) The other day when i checked for power at the fan connector itself, before i swapped fans assemblies, and there was nearly 12V coming from the relay.

The old fan still does not work even when i jumper it out of the Jeep, so i know i needed the new fan, but now im not sure why it doesnt come on. It looks like i may have a PCM problem? Whatcha think?

post #27 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 04:35 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are there any codes? I am wondering about codes @P1489 - P1491. They may not set CEL to on and MAY not show with key on off trick.

When turniing on AC/Defrost does the compressor come on?

A cheat - unplug ECT sensor - did fan come on? This shpuld also set a code-

Soulds like the old fan was bad- it will not bench check.. Maybe Ohm the fan, but its 2 wires one is 12v the other ground and it should spin.

Let me know
Attached Images

post #28 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Okay. So I’m going to keep updating as I am checking all of my connections. I just checked the harness that leads to the fan relay. The voltmeter I have has two probes, one of positive and negative (ground). I checked the voltage for the Olive green wire - it was coming out to 14.0 APO. The other two wires had no output. Don’t know if that makes sense, and I hope I am checking all of this right. I’ll keep everyone updated, will be checking the fan harness next
post #29 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Sorry everyone I meant volts instead of APO for the last post, this voltmeter displays APO above the output number and it got mixed up in my head. I checked the fan harness and was getting an output of around 13 V. I am a little stumped now since it seems that the connections are fine.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Unplugged the ECT sensor and started the Jeep up, the E-fan fired up right away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in