1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
4.7 E-Fan Issue

Hi all.
Disregard my previous post about my Jeep overheating, I have nailed it down to my radiator e-fan. To give background, one night when I was driving home my Jeep started to overheat. Thought it was the thermostat, so I replaced it, still was overheating. Checked other components of the cooling system and realized that my electric fan was not working. So I replaced the relay, still does not turn on. The fan still will not come on even with the A/C engaged. I even tested a brand new E-Fan by plugging it in and it still will not come on. I checked the relay in the engine fusebox and it was fine. I have been digging everywhere and there is no answers online or in the forums to my problem. Could it be something with the coolant temp sensor? Or maybe the wiring? So if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

This is for a 2000 4.7 V8 btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 01:40 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

any codes?
Fuse #10 in PDC?

You have a E fan - and a viscous fan, viscous is operating OK?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 01:47 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

jtec asks a good question. I have a 2000 and my Efan is a backup or reserve fan to the fan/clutch. It rarely turns on. You may have a problem with it but its not likely the reason for your overheating.

post #4 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
No CEL on, no other lights on the dash. Yes I do have the dual fan set up (electric and viscous) and the viscous fan runs fine
post #5 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the engine temp have to be at or above 210 degrees, or the A/C high side pressure have to be above 250 psi for that electric fan to come on? Now that its cold outside, I cant make mine come on either. Engine just wont get hot enough.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 04:43 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The CEL can remain OFF and the system will still have codes.

IIRC the 2000WJ would command the elec fan when AC was selected, later models
waited for Hi side to reach a threshold. Its in the OEM manual fine print, and I am not searching that yet.

post #7 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

The Efan should come on when the heating system is put on defrost, regardless of the temperature if it is working correctly.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-20-2020, 11:01 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Ah, the defrost also engages the A/C. So if all that is needed is the command for A/C, then I have the same problem as OP. Although my jeep has a bad A/C compressor clutch that keeps blowing the fuse. I just unplugged the connector at the compressor and figured I would wait till spring to replace. My Jeep does Not turn on the electric fan with the A/C command. I was out wheeling it the other day, and it started to get warm. I noticed then that the fan wasnt working. I replaced the relay hiding under the headlight, but still cant get it to come on. I just figured it wasnt hot enough outside to turn it on. Crap,,,,

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 38 Old 01-21-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Scanned the Jeep and no codes came up. E-Fan doesn't engage when defrost or A/C is turned on. Maybe the the water pump is shot internally. I also noticed yesterday when I started it up that there was some white smoke coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side. Might be condensation but I am also afraid it might be a blown head gasket or cracked head. The coolant looks fine (no mixing). This Jeep is driving me crazy!
post #10 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

Pressure test it to rule out the head gasket.
post #11 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 PM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

Every vehicle I've ever had with a/c (and electric fan) the cooling fan came on with the defrost because it engaged the a/c to dry out the air. The electric cooling fan would not engage with the defrost if the a/c was not in operating condition (i.e.: enough charge in the system, compressor had to be plugged in, etc.). There is a pressure switch for the system on the receiver dryer/accumulator (at least on my F250) that I have had go bad and the a/c wouldn't work. All of which is a mute point if, as the op said, "it started to overheat". The electric fan should come on to assist with the overheating condition.

If the Jeep truly started to overheat the electric fan should come on regardless. To the op: by "started to overheat" what did you mean? What was the engine temp? Does the a/c work otherwise? If the a/c doesn't blow cold or doesn't otherwise come on it might just be the pressure switch (don't ask how I know, I went 2 years w/o a/c on my 1990 F250 thinking it was low on refrigerant when it was a $20 switch). Do a little diagnostic and you might save some $. I have done the parts swap thing in the past and wasted a bit of $. The viscous fan should allow enough air over the condenser for the a/c to work reasonably. If you don't know the actual temp it will be difficult to tell if it is to hot.

Post a bit more detailed info and we might be able to better figure this out. Some of this is not directly to the Jeep application ,but used as an illustration that it might be some other seemingly insignificant/potentially unrelated issue.
post #12 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

dwayneWK how did you check for codes?

Hopefully you used a scanner - if you did us a scanner will your scanner command fan to "on" - did you try?

post #13 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 01:52 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes DwayneWK, it appears that the E-fan NOT coming on when defrost or A/c is commanded on, is the problem for both of us. I went back and reread your original post, you have replaced the A/C relay, tried a new fan assembly, and double checked all the fuses in BOTH fuse blocks, and scanned for codes, correct? The water pump itself has no effect on the fan operation. Only the actual water temp, and the command for a/c. A faulty water pump could make the engine overheat, which would mean that the fan should come on. But it doesnt control the fan operation directly. It appears that you should be able to turn on the A/C and have the fan come on regardless of engine temp. If it does not, then there is a fan control problem. I agree with JTEC at this point-command the fan on with your code scanner and see what happens? Im watching this closely, and i will be doing my own diagnosis steps at the same time. I will let you know if i come up with anything.

post #14 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 02:04 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

check the power at RELAY - it is easy, intuitive and self explanatory well it is to me just ask if you need guidance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00WJ eolec fan.pdf (87.3 KB, 6 views)

post #15 of 38 Old 01-22-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2000 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for the replies everyone. First, by "overheating" I mean that the Jeep is literally overheating to the point that it will destroy the engine if nothing is fixed. When the problem happened for the first time, the Jeep got up to almost the max temp on the temperature gauge. It will still overheat to this day, and I do not let it run past 220 degrees. Second, I did scan the Jeep with a OBD II scan tool. The scan tool is a basic one bought from Amazon so no controlling the E-Fan from it. Third, the A/C is a bit hard to test right now in the cold midwest weather but it does sound like the A/C does engage when turned on. I will take a closer look at it later. Finally, I can test the power at the relay. Just have to connect a voltmeter to it, correct?
Will keep everyone updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in