4.7 Dropped Valve Seat - YEAR POLL - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: What year was your dropped valve 4.7?
1999 8 11.59%
2000 10 14.49%
2001 8 11.59%
2002 19 27.54%
2003 3 4.35%
2004 22 31.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 171 Old 01-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post

Don't overheat these engines- moral of the story. One guy above posted he has 278k miles on his.....
Couldn't agree more, keep up on regular maintenance and address any cooling system issues and you'll be just fine.

My 4.7's have a combined total of 352K service miles on them, both original and un-rebuilt.

mojo509 likes this.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Old Jeeps never die, they just fade away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 171 Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 PM
mojo509
2004 WJ 

Good to see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Couldn't agree more, keep up on regular maintenance and address any cooling system issues and you'll be just fine.

My 4.7's have a combined total of 352K service miles on them, both original and un-rebuilt.

Well these last posts make me feel a little better since I took a chance on a 2004 4.7 with 60k on the clock to replace my wife's rig.
I am counting on precision maintenance to help prevent problems. Especially since my wife is not keen on major engine failures since her 3.5 edge threw a main bearing at 118K.
Wondering if I should install a higher capacity radiator just to be safe...?
Probably should have gotten a 4.0. But I really just love the 8.

Put it in the field, it will yield.
Eventually.
post #78 of 171 Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Any 2000 WJ with just 60k is a good bet.
mojo509 likes this.

post #79 of 171 Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
wranglertec

My 01 has 195 on it never been apart. Or hot that I know of.
My 99 I bought had 2 dropped seats. 1 each head. Got vehicle from a friend of mine who bought it at an auction. It stated out cheap. Yes it had been hot. Timing cover was rotten at bottom of t stat and coolant was leaking pretty good. Last owner put so much sealer in the cooling system that the heater was plugged. 6 reverse flushes one with clr I finally got the heater core un plugged. And yes I did put a radiator in when I did the heads. No I did not run clr through the cooling system. Only the heater core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #80 of 171 Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM
j201ton
2004 WJ 

I just bought a new to me 2001 WJ with 179k on it. It pulls strong was taken care of very well. It is my 5th WJ with the 4.7. Never had an issue with any of them and I rag them hard with towing and wheeling. As others have mentioned, cooling system service is critical on these. It can be difficult to get air out of the system, but is a MUST on a drain refill. Using the correct coolant is paramount as well. The 2001 and up hydraulic fan moves a lot of air. I use synthetic oil. Rotella T6 5w40 is my favorite fits all oil, I use it my Quad, BMW Diesels, my Superduty, lawnmowers etc. I will probably use it on my WJ's next oil change.

2004 WJ LTD 4.7L W/ AFE Dry CAI, Hemifever tuned
Kolak/IRO 3" W/Bilsteins, Addco SB, Moog STB and Iso's
IRO TCC Skid, Crossmember and HD Adj. Trackbar
255/70R17 Cooper AT3's, JK Moabs
Fawkes Fab Modular Mounts, Shackle Tabs, BB Brackets
post #81 of 171 Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM
mojo509
2004 WJ 

Great input!

Thanks for the information. You really hit on some important points. One thing I would like to add, you mention getting all of the air out during a re-fill and some might not be aware of vacuum filling the cooling system. Very helpful. If you do not own one, you may be able to borrow from your local parts supply store. Just FYI
Keep up the great posts. I love seeing ones like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j201ton View Post
I just bought a new to me 2001 WJ with 179k on it. It pulls strong was taken care of very well. It is my 5th WJ with the 4.7. Never had an issue with any of them and I rag them hard with towing and wheeling. As others have mentioned, cooling system service is critical on these. It can be difficult to get air out of the system, but is a MUST on a drain refill. Using the correct coolant is paramount as well. The 2001 and up hydraulic fan moves a lot of air. I use synthetic oil. Rotella T6 5w40 is my favorite fits all oil, I use it my Quad, BMW Diesels, my Superduty, lawnmowers etc. I will probably use it on my WJ's next oil change.
j201ton likes this.
post #82 of 171 Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM
ITSA96
1996 YJ Wrangler 

00' WJ, caught and fixed the valve seats before they caused a major problem. Has never been overheated to my knowledge, but started to get a random misfire around 130K after spending 2 days driving cross country. I knew about potential engine problems, so I watch temps and for other signs of problems closely. Diagnosed and found out had a valve going bad. Drove it all the way back home before tearing apart and fixing. Did both heads, and glad I did as the machinist said that there were a couple other valves in the other head that were coming loose as well.

Moral of the story, the valves can fail even in a well taken care of, unabused motor, and fix the problem at the first sign of failure, before it creates a much more expensive problem.
blueseasons1 likes this.
post #83 of 171 Old 03-11-2018, 04:50 PM
andbeyond
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSA96 View Post
00' WJ, caught and fixed the valve seats before they caused a major problem.
What are the early warning signs to watch for?
post #84 of 171 Old 03-12-2018, 03:18 AM
ITSA96
1996 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
What are the early warning signs to watch for?
In my case it threw a code for a random misfire on one cylinder. Diagnosed and eliminated all the other possibilities - fuel, injector, spark plug, coil pack, ect. The problem hadn't manifested to the point where it affected the driveability at all. Per my experience in the auto industry, most people (customers) would just ignore it and keep driving at this point, and that's why we see a lot of blown up 4.7's. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? Being proactive probably saved me a lot of money. It's much cheaper to replace just the valve guides before the valves go and take out a bunch of other components.
Jeeples likes this.
post #85 of 171 Old 04-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Shadow_otw
2004 WJ 

Yep...just over 150K and #2 intake seat flipped. Rebuilt both heads and replaced all the timing components .
Attached Thumbnails
2018-03-30 18.06.21.jpg   2018-04-06 15.28.36.jpg  

Where am I , and why am I in this hand basket?
post #86 of 171 Old 04-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Ylocuda

2001 WJ dropped valve seat

NEW CASE. Dropped #5 intake seat after a hot start. Engine has 147k, never overheated and oil very clean and changed only with mobile 1. Looking at heads on EBay and see them under $300 but afraid to pull the trigger as I want to be certain they are rebuilt to fix this issue with new seats. Anybody have recommendation or experience with buying rebuilt heads from reputable place? The three places on EBay are The Cylinder Head Shop, Odessa and Maxine Shop Pros. Odessa has a lot of bad reviews.
post #87 of 171 Old 04-26-2018, 05:04 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Why wouldn't you work with a local machine shop? You can vet them to learn their experience with these heads, get local references and if anything goes wrong they are right there for you to deal with directly.
oldRodney likes this.
post #88 of 171 Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 PM
HiYoSilver02

This whole thread has helped clarify the problem I had. Now I have to decide whether to replace both heads or unload the Jeep. It has 190,000 miles on it. I know this engine is not a true hemi, but I think I'll refer to the dropped seat problem from now on as hemi-roids.
post #89 of 171 Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Ylocuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver02 View Post
This whole thread has helped clarify the problem I had. Now I have to decide whether to replace both heads or unload the Jeep. It has 190,000 miles on it. I know this engine is not a true hemi, but I think I'll refer to the dropped seat problem from now on as hemi-roids.
I think it would depend on the rest of the condition of your jeep. Mainly the transmission, bottom end of engine, suspension and if other high cost issues were alrwady fixed (heater doors and everything under the dash). In my case the transmission was rebuild recenty, bottom end of engine must ne good since I changed oil fatefully with mobile 1, completely replaced everything under the dash, suspension still perfect and it has no rust (California car). I am going to do the work myself, so I can justify fixing mine for around 1k. Found a local machine shop to rebuild both heads for $750 with all new valve seats. If I did not have such a great core truck, I would have donated it.
post #90 of 171 Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM
james_2k
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxr9511 View Post
I will NEVER own anything jeep ever in my life and spread the word...
cool story bro, maybe find a more appropriate forum then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in