4.7 Dropped Valve Seat - YEAR POLL - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: What year was your dropped valve 4.7?
1999 8 11.59%
2000 10 14.49%
2001 8 11.59%
2002 19 27.54%
2003 3 4.35%
2004 22 31.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 171 Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Try using synthetic oil and E-85, Ethanol runs about 20 to 30 degrees cooler and is high octane to avoid pinging.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 171 Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
MOTOWN likes this.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #63 of 171 Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonempty View Post
Try using synthetic oil and E-85, Ethanol runs about 20 to 30 degrees cooler and is high octane to avoid pinging.
????

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-analysis.html

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!

post #64 of 171 Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 PM
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
I've been using E-85 in a 2004 Jeep WJ, 4.0, NON FLEX FUEL from about 60k to 235k. Only repairs are fuel pump and neutral safety switch and a leaky radiator. No other issues. I've been getting E-85 for between 50 cents and a dollar cheaper than regular gas (presently it's $1.77/gal.) My MPG's range between 15-18. I also use synthetic AMSOil and Valvoline Synthetic.
post #65 of 171 Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

All very interesting..but the reason I picked it up was the comment on it running 30 degrees cooler when it doesn't. People used to say that but it has been disproved for a while now. See link.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #66 of 171 Old 05-25-2017, 10:02 PM
NotEnufGarage

2004 WJ 

Garage
2004 4.7L HO 149,500 miles and still running strong. I hope this post doesn't jinx me.
blueseasons1 likes this.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 177K
post #67 of 171 Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
2004 4.7L HO 149,500 miles and still running strong. I hope this post doesn't jinx me.
Lol you and me both.

The wife's '03 has ~155K (although I did have to do valve seals recently) and my '00 is fast approaching 190K.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

Quote:
Old Jeeps never die, they just fade away.
post #68 of 171 Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Jester323i
2002 WJ 

2002, ~102k mi, and has not dropped a seat, granted those are pretty low miles. However, I heard about overheating issues causing catastrophic failures in the 4.7Ls years ago, and at the advice of an older mechanic friend, I installed a 3-row aluminum high-efficiency radiator to help ensure a little more buffer in the event that I ever lose the cooling fan, and to keep stresses lower.

Jesse Nemec
2002 WJ Special Edition 4.7L
Many others come and gone
post #69 of 171 Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM
TnC
1999 WJ 

I have 198,000 on mine and still running. I bought it from someone that just over heated it. I put it on a trailer an towed it home. There was no fluid in the radiator or reservoir at all. It would still start but was rough. I tested this before purchasing. I changed all the fluids when I got home and also added slick 50 to the oil. Started it up, it was rough for about the first minute then quieted right down and now purrs like a kitten. After about 8,000 miles I did notice a lifter tick (it seems) when I first start it in the morning. As soon as I drive down the street the tick stops and she runs great. I am just a little concerned about the tick on startup. I do notice smoke right when started and smells burnt. But this is only on startup. Nothing after 15 seconds.
post #70 of 171 Old 08-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

^ That's either the beginnings of an exhaust manifold gasket leak (check the driver's side rear manifold bolts to see if they're broker) or the hydraulic lash adjusters aren't holding pressure like they should. Try running an engine flush next oil change and run the recommended oil weight and see if it improves.

I'm not too far behind you on my '00, I'll be passing up 192K miles here shortly. Spent the week down in Moab this June, with temps well into the triple digit range without issue.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

Quote:
post #71 of 171 Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM
TnC
1999 WJ 

I believe the tick started when I put in synthetic on my last oil change. It was regular oil when I bought it just because I didn't want to spend the extra on synthetic if I needed a new engine. Everything is tight with exhaust manifold and nothing broken. I meant lifter tick and I believe I only started noticing it after putting synthetic in. I am coming up to my next oil change so I will try non synthetic and see what happens. I just put some sea foam in the oil to see if it cleans anything out. I am checking the oil daily to see if it is really black or really thinned out. Still looks good so might NOT have much engine gunk in it. We shall see. Thanks for the suggestions Jeeples. Moab sounds like it would have been fun. I have been out in the cali desert here when it was 113 without issues as well. I had a 2000 WJ before this one with no issues as well I sold it about 10 years ago. Since I bought this one that has been overheated I am not sure how many miles I am able to put on her before something happens. knock.knock.knock... Could be a "ticking" time bomb.
post #72 of 171 Old 09-25-2017, 03:34 PM
SoggyCracker

2003 Overland 4.7 H.O. 140K and fine. Did overheat a few years back due to coolant leak. I'd warned why wife to shut it down right way if that happened. Towed it home and installed a new radiator and no problems since (unless you count the main seal leak dripping oil on my cat now). Crossing my fingers since I'll be buying a 2004 Overland next week and that 20% poll number is jumping out at me. Have had the current WJ for 10+ years and it's been a rock, albeit a rock with some annoying quirks.

As I read the entries here I wonder if the fact that the 4.7 is such a strong motor means that it lives a tougher life compared to, say, the anemic VG33 in an older Xterra or a 3.5 or 3.8 in an older Montero that makes no pretense of being powerful -- and thus sees less hard use. Just a thought. Then again, a car I covet is an old Caddy CTS-V and the old LS6s make the 4.7 look like a toy motor...and they hold up remarkably well even when thrashed.

Regardless, I'd one a pissed-off motor scooter if mine dropped a valve despite good maintenance so I sympathize with those who've endured it...and faced a tough decision after.
post #73 of 171 Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyCracker View Post
2003 Overland 4.7 H.O. 140K and fine. Did overheat a few years back due to coolant leak. I'd warned why wife to shut it down right way if that happened. Towed it home and installed a new radiator and no problems since (unless you count the main seal leak dripping oil on my cat now). Crossing my fingers since I'll be buying a 2004 Overland next week and that 20% poll number is jumping out at me. Have had the current WJ for 10+ years and it's been a rock, albeit a rock with some annoying quirks.

As I read the entries here I wonder if the fact that the 4.7 is such a strong motor means that it lives a tougher life compared to, say, the anemic VG33 in an older Xterra or a 3.5 or 3.8 in an older Montero that makes no pretense of being powerful -- and thus sees less hard use. Just a thought. Then again, a car I covet is an old Caddy CTS-V and the old LS6s make the 4.7 look like a toy motor...and they hold up remarkably well even when thrashed.

Regardless, I'd one a pissed-off motor scooter if mine dropped a valve despite good maintenance so I sympathize with those who've endured it...and faced a tough decision after.

I think it's important to note that the 4.7 was built to much tighter tolerances than the outgoing 5.2/5.9 liter Magnum motors. Tighter engine specs (bearing clearances, ring fitment, etc.) typically don't allow one to be lax on maintenance.

You had an entire generation of consumers that were used to the same fluid specs, capacities, intervals and a 'little abuse here and there won't hurt these rock solid motors' mentality that I think lead to a lot of the common issues that we've seen with the 4.7.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

Quote:
post #74 of 171 Old 12-17-2017, 02:35 PM
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

From the engendering shop that I deal with, the factory assembly and tolerance was the issues why seats drop after just one overheating episode
Apparently the valve seat material is harder and expands more then the softer aluminum, forcing the valve seat hole to enlarge slightly, enough form the valve seat to come loose and then drop
When my WJ overheated slightly, took a chance and kept deriving
Not long after that, the gasket went
Pulled the heads, have had then tested for straighteners and cracks
Had new valve seats fitted with the correct interference fit
Am now porting the heads, and have uploaded videos sharing that little adventures

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClW...t5a7o42f7LSNcw

WK2012 Hemi Stock
post #75 of 171 Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I've heard that if the engine hasn't overheated, the seats tend to last a LONG time. It makes sense that the CTE difference between the head versus the valve guides would exacerbate a poor designs tendency to loosen and drop. Aluminum expands rapidly with heat.

FWIW, my 208k engine 4.7HO (2002) started to overheat once when a heater core blew. My wife remembered I cautioned her to NOT drive it very far at all if it starts to over heat. We towed it and replaced the core.

Don't overheat these engines- moral of the story. One guy above posted he has 278k miles on his.....

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in