4.0l i6 coolant not getting to operating temp - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Newbinator

4.0l i6 coolant not getting to operating temp

So i drive a 2004 grand Cherokee and in the summer i added a mechanical fan from another wj with the 4.0l cause the electric fan kept going out. Now it's winter temps in Mich and my temp gauge is sitting on the low side. Would I have a faulty mechanical fan ? Or should I remove the mechanical fan for winter. i have a engine code for operating temp not reached. My electric fan works on the low speed but not the high speed I should have detailed that. New mopar thermostat, no issues with the radiator, water pump or temp sensor either. Anyone els have this issue? I searched for this issue on this forum and didn't find any info that could help me. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 PM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

I have the exact same problem. Code P1281 is one of them. I’m going to try changing the thermostat. I figure it’s stuck open or the previous owner put the wrong one in.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 11:28 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

Same here. Stat stuck open. You could barely tell it was open.

Low speed works fine but not high speed is likely a burnt fan motor (04s have a different efan setup).

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Newbinator

Update on the warming up issue, I removed my mechanical fan yesterday as it was 13 degrees out without wind chill and my temp gauge did go past 210 and sat around 220. I'm re thinking the new thermostat is stuck or not working properly
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:10 AM
FanTech

Removing the mechanical fan removes all airflow cooling from the radiator AND the engine. Your thermostat could still be stuck open, but without airflow it may still be able to maintain temp.
If you remove the radiator cap while the engine is cold, you may be able to see if there is coolant flow. Otherwise you can observe the temperature in the radiator hoses as the engine idles to warm up. A stuck thermostat will cause the temperature to rise slowly.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Newbinator

My car did not come stock with the mechanical fan I added the fan in the summer cause my electric fan wasn't doing the job as I thought but now I believe it's the thermostat, or now I'm re-thinking as a possibility could be a temp sensor going bad but that's a slim chance. And I know I have good coolant circulation cause I can see the coolant whirlpool in the radiator when the thermostat opens up.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM
gsxr800
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbinator View Post
So i drive a 2004 grand Cherokee and in the summer i added a mechanical fan from another wj with the 4.0l cause the electric fan kept going out. Now it's winter temps in Mich and my temp gauge is sitting on the low side. Would I have a faulty mechanical fan ? Or should I remove the mechanical fan for winter. i have a engine code for operating temp not reached. My electric fan works on the low speed but not the high speed I should have detailed that. New mopar thermostat, no issues with the radiator, water pump or temp sensor either. Anyone els have this issue? I searched for this issue on this forum and didn't find any info that could help me. Thank you

Thermostat stuck open. Youíre getting the code because the computer knows that it should have reached operating temp already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Camaro45th

I have a similar issue and Iím wondering if it is the thermostat not opening.

I flushed out the heater core and refilled the core with fluid. Reconnected everything and bled the air out of the radiator for about 15 minutes.

I still donít have the 2nd heater core hose to the same temperature as the other. Iím not sure if the thermostat is opening allowing the coolant to flow.

I do have to mention that the locking part of the connector on the thermostat wiring broke off. I pushed it on but it will come off it pulled. I get hot and cold air blowing out of the heat back and forth.

Sorry to hijack your thread but itís Cold in my Jeep!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Hodgelodge
2004 WJ 

Garage
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in