242HD, D44A, or IRO SYE is shot. Need help, mechanic can't figure it out. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

242HD, D44A, or IRO SYE is shot. Need help, mechanic can't figure it out.

Believe me when I say this. My mechanic and I have been chasing this vibration ghost for a few months now and are completely puzzled by it. During this time I've had a HnT SYE from IRO that was way off balance potentially hiding a different vibration and a rear axle build that isn't going well due to the ****ty aluminum 44A housing bending after welding a truss on.
I believe 242HD is shot or the IRO SYE is off. Mechanic agrees but also believes my D44A build isn't going well...

Where i think my problems began:
I once shifted from 4ft (full time) to 2wd on pavement and it let out a huge bang/shutter in the drive line when i made a turn. Im certain it was stuck in 4pt as this was a common problem for me with my 242. My problems began there but were not all present after this event.

Immediately after the event I noticed my TC output shaft could slide in/out about 1/8".

Current symptoms:
Vibration at 40mph+
Lots of gear-bearingish noise coming from the TC (confirmed with stethoscope).
Part-time/full-time planetary gear (right next to chain sprocket gear) has significant play in the sun gears. Mechanic and local gear shop state this is something that can cause vibrations.
242HD HnT SYE installed from IRO with custom driveshaft. First SYE yoke was way out of balance so they sent me a couple replacements.
Had the replaced yoke and ds checked and re-balanced by a shop that balances drivelines for baja race trucks, i trust them.
Also ran the front driveshaft in the rear (very close lengths) and no change to vibration
Did all of the combinations of 2wd,4pt,4ft, front or rear ds removed, ran it on jack stands without wheels, all of that. Driveshaft verified balanced. Unchanged after adjusting rear pinion angle from 1 deg to 0 deg. New u-joints. Vibration is still there.

Im so lost with this I'm considering buying an iron 44 from ECGS and a rebuilt TC from a local gear shop and keeping stock slip yoke driveline config because at this point, i just want my rig to work.

Any information you might have or experience with a problem like this will help me a ton.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

I would start with what your shop has identified - the sun gears. What output shaft has play? Front (separate shaft) or rear (main shaft)? By eliminating the rear axle/pinion (by changing the angle) and the driveshaft (by balancing and swapping), you know for certain the vibration has to be somewhere within the TC.

A bang typically indicates something was binding, and 242s are known for doing so when shifting through the 4WD modes. If you're hearing significant bearing noise from the TC AND you have 1/8" play in the shaft (assuming you mean the front D/S output) AND your sun gears are roasted, that sounds like a clear place to start for me. Start with a rebuild (no idea how much that goes for near you) or buy a reman unit (I recently had a very good experience with transfer case express, about $900 shipped and taxed). As for the rear, you'll have to figure that one out on your own. ECGS is good quality but certainly not cheap and they're running way behind this year due to covid, my build (JK44/489 WJ bolt in 4.56 w/ OX e-shift) took almost 80 days from ordering (I'm very pleased so far - haven't yet finished breaking in my gears though).

I have the full SYE on mine - zero experience with HnT.

I have a complete open D35 axle with 4.56 sitting in my garage if you want it, but shipping won't be cheap

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM
juan_carlos__007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTim View Post
Believe me when I say this. My mechanic and I have been chasing this vibration ghost for a few months now and are completely puzzled by it. During this time I've had a HnT SYE from IRO that was way off balance potentially hiding a different vibration and a rear axle build that isn't going well due to the ****ty aluminum 44A housing bending after welding a truss on.

I believe 242HD is shot or the IRO SYE is off. Mechanic agrees but also believes my D44A build isn't going well...

Where i think my problems began:

I once shifted from 4ft (full time) to 2wd on pavement and it let out a huge bang/shutter in the drive line when i made a turn. Im certain it was stuck in 4pt as this was a common problem for me with my 242. My problems began there but were not all present after this event.

Immediately after the event I noticed my TC output shaft could slide in/out about 1/8".

Current symptoms:

Vibration at 40mph+

Lots of gear-bearingish noise coming from the TC (confirmed with stethoscope).

Part-time/full-time planetary gear (right next to chain sprocket gear) has significant play in the sun gears. Mechanic and local gear shop state this is something that can cause vibrations.

242HD HnT SYE installed from IRO with custom driveshaft. First SYE yoke was way out of balance so they sent me a couple replacements.

Had the replaced yoke and ds checked and re-balanced by a shop that balances drivelines for baja race trucks, i trust them.

Also ran the front driveshaft in the rear (very close lengths) and no change to vibration

Did all of the combinations of 2wd,4pt,4ft, front or rear ds removed, ran it on jack stands without wheels, all of that. Driveshaft verified balanced. Unchanged after adjusting rear pinion angle from 1 deg to 0 deg. New u-joints. Vibration is still there.

Im so lost with this I'm considering buying an iron 44 from ECGS and a rebuilt TC from a local gear shop and keeping stock slip yoke driveline config because at this point, i just want my rig to work.

Any information you might have or experience with a problem like this will help me a ton.

Thanks
Tires maybe? I've seen tires that check balanced on the balance machine and when mounted it vibrates. If you could borrow balanced tires from another vehicle to throw tires out of the equation.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in