2004 WJ TRL HWK Build - Trails and Camping - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 72 Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...ation-4330119/ I have a few in here with part numbers. got them from kolak minus the "Jeep" i got that on ebay before I knew kolak could have gotten that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 05-29-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...ation-4330119/ I have a few in here with part numbers. got them from kolak minus the "Jeep" i got that on ebay before I knew kolak could have gotten that
Oh, I thought you had gray trail hawk emblems.

But those were cool WK badges.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
Upcountry, 265/65R17in Tires, JK Rubicon Wheels
F/R Vari-lock
post #63 of 72 Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post
Jus a late entry.. many of you already know, Iím a 247 Quadra Drive advocate.
Iíve driven mine through thick mud, and mud on hills, to rock hills all in Quadra Drive. Granted, itís not for every situation, but thatís why you have 4WD low!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just switched to a 242 Transfer Case and I love having the 2WD option!

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock

post #64 of 72 Old 05-29-2019, 01:26 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheats View Post
Oh, I thought you had gray trail hawk emblems.

But those were cool WK badges.
I really liked the dark silver emblems. They come in all kinds of colors on moparparts online
post #65 of 72 Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheats View Post
I just switched to a 242 Transfer Case and I love having the 2WD option!
I have a question about the 242 swap from the 247. Is the only reason people do this swap because of the 2wd function? I read that the mileage benefit is about 1mpg, is this true? The 4wd functions the same? From what I understand the only benefit of the 247 case is that its fully automatic?

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl
post #66 of 72 Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 PM
lozenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleCamry View Post
I have a question about the 242 swap from the 247. Is the only reason people do this swap because of the 2wd function? I read that the mileage benefit is about 1mpg, is this true? The 4wd functions the same? From what I understand the only benefit of the 247 case is that its fully automatic?

So yes the two wheel drive is an advantage but I think the reason most people do it is the part time 4wd option.

So with the 247 you have:
1) 4hi Full Time- which leaves the center diff open. Also I believe the 247 is actually 2wd until it senses slipping in the front tires and then sends power there. So it's great for soccer moms who don't need to worry about when to switch to 4wd and whatnot.
2) 4lo- Gear reduction and locks the center diff. So you have lock the center diff but you can't drive on the road like this and you can't go more than 20ish mph.

With the 242 you have:
1) 2wd- Self explanatory
2) 4hi Part Time- Locks the center diff, so you can have the most traction while also being able to drive at highway speeds.
3) 4hi Full Time- Same as above but I don't think it only sends the power to the front if it senses slipping. So you still have the draw backs of having an open center diff when offroad but I think you have power going to all 4 wheels at all times (until you get path of least resistance slipping when off road)
4) 4lo- same as above.

So with the 242 you essentially you get 2wd and the ability to lock the center diff without the gear reduction.

Anyone feel free to correct me on the Full Time time torque split.
jayheats and BeetleCamry like this.
post #67 of 72 Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Also the 247 "AWD" mode fails in a lot of cases and the part to fix it is more than a junkyard 242 plus all the reasons lozengo mentioned. When working I think from most accounts the 247 is fine as you still have 4L for the tough stuff but sometimes you just need 4H for snow or whatever and having to stop and shift to 4L and back so you can go more than 20MPH is annoying. That's the reason I did it anyway.
jayheats and BeetleCamry like this.
post #68 of 72 Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 AM
RobGADV
2002 WJ 

Great thread!!! I need to do much of the same to mine.
jayheats likes this.

'02 Grand Cherokee Overland
'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'17 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
post #69 of 72 Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Finally got out on some trails in the Wasatch Mountains looking for a new paraglider launch. I was able to really try out the 242 Transfer case. No regrets!

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #70 of 72 Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Full time is the other way on the 247.
Rear wheel drive until the rear wheels slip, the puts power to the front wheels. I try to use full time for everything except going down hills and the really steep stuff. It gives a smoother ride off road because the front end doesnít buck over large bumps, and kicks in smoothly when needed.

Iím been on some steep rocky stuff where if the full time didnít work I wouldnít have made it to the top. And mud is a super kick in full time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #71 of 72 Old Today, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Found a set of these overland rails at the junkyard for $12 each... now just got to bolt them on.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #72 of 72 Old Today, 10:15 AM
lozenga

You lucky SOB. For around 3 years I went to every junkyard in my area every time they got a new 02-04 WJ with the 4.7 (JY website doesn't differentiate between 4.7 and 4.7HO) and only found 1 set of overland rails, and they were rusted to hell. I got one of them entirely off before I realized how badly rusted it was, and I pulled the better looking one first. Back in January I found a set of JCR WJ sliders for $120 on FB, so I haven't been looking for overland rails for a while, but I'm still envious of your find.

I do remember being very surprised by how sturdy the overland rails felt, as long as the mounting points are solid, I think the overland rails are perfectly adequate for some decent abuse. I've read tons of conflicting reports on how well the overland rails hold up, from them being nothing more than an appearance package to them being extremely stout. I think some people get the freedom rails and the overland rails mixed up, and that leads to some wrong info being spread around. Let me know what you think of the rails once you get them mounted up, I'm sure they'll hold up well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in