2004 WJ TRL HWK Build - Trails and Camping - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 70 Old 12-11-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

I got a little courage to try a bigger set of tires. My current set is an awesome Kevlar reinforced AT tire, but I think I need something that is more of a 4x4 tire. I mean a jeep just doesn't look like a jeep without the right kind of tire right? In the summers I usually am putting my Jeep into 4lo at least once or twice a week. So just saying my meaty tires aren't just for looks. The extra tread will come in handy on some of the mountain trails I go on.

Ill be trying on a set of 265/65R17 duratracs later this week on my 1in upcountry suspension and 3/4 RC leveling puck up front. I realize I might rub some, but I'm okay with some minor bumper trimming.

My goal on my rig is to keep it stock, have a decent 4x4, and have a decent meaty looking tire. I don't even want to lift it 2in because my old 200lb dane has a hard time getting in as it is..

Lets see how it goes.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
Upcountry, 265/65R17in Tires, JK Rubicon Wheels
F/R Vari-lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Got my Duratracs 265/65R17 mounted up with only a 1in upcountry lift. So far I have major rubbing on my discos when I turn hard to the left or right. I might try putting them on the other side of the sway bar and bolting down the top so only the bottom disconnects. Also, I have a tiny bit of rubbing on the front bumper while turning/flexing. My plan is to get a skinnier depth 4.5in fog light and put it in the hole. I'll be trimming the bottom uf the bumper up soon as well... but so far pretty happy with these tires. Also I was able to change diff fluid on my front and rear and add slip additive.

Tab bit of tire rub on the rear shock, but nothing I'm too worried about.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #18 of 70 Old 12-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Loveland-WJ

2001 WJ 

A angle grinder with cutting blade works magic on the bumper.

01 WJ Limited 4.7, 6.5 IRO w/Rear 4 link LA's, Steering Equalizer, 2.5" Drop Pitman Arm, 285x70x17's, 242HD w/SYE, KOR Rock Rails, 9.5k winch, RockHard Rear bumper with tire carrier, custom front and rear drivelines, skid plates and ect....

post #19 of 70 Old 01-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheats View Post
My plan is to get a skinnier depth 4.5in fog light and put it in the hole.
Curious what you end up with. I'm running stock style fog lamps (2004) and installed spacers to move the lights forward. So far I don't have tire contact.
post #20 of 70 Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Kolak hooked me up with some IRO spring perches...Finally got them welded in.

cDee63 likes this.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #21 of 70 Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

What to replace on front suspension/steering after 140k miles

Well when I got the Jeep, there wasn't a dirt/bumpy road around to drive on to test the suspension.. After going down my first dirt road a couple months ago I could hear a clunk as it hit bumps. Looking at the suspension components.. it seemed that all of the parts were still OEM. Here is my report of the suspension / front axle components that were definitely bad or just old and time to replace.

Track bar bolt hole - This was ovaled out on the left side (see pic). I think this was the biggest culprit to the clunk noise.

Wheel bearings - These were pretty much done, but not horrible. They just didn't turn as smooth as the new ones.

Tie Rod Ends - Both bushings were shot.

Drag link ends - bushing on the wheel side was shot. Bushing on the pitman arm looked good.

Spring Perches - Rusted out

Ball Joints - lower ball joint on both sides was loose and wiggly. I replaced all 4.

The rest of these items seemed to be ok but I replaced them anyways

Axle Shafts - decided to replace these while I had the hub apart.

Track Bar

Sway bar links
97Mule and USMCWO97 like this.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #22 of 70 Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Akebono brake calipers, drilled and slotted rotors with z36 brake pads

Today I installed the Akebono brake calipers, drilled and slotted rotors with z36 brake pads (that I got from @97Mule )

While I was installing them.. I noticed the calipers that came on my 2004 were also Akebonos! Well, Mikes' calipers were in better condition and looked better... Thanks again Mike!
tebeve likes this.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #23 of 70 Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Currently I'm working on the oil pan gasket.
Lowering the exhaust was fun...

Separating the gasket was funner

GmanWJ likes this.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #24 of 70 Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

I think I'll order a CSF Radiator after reading this comment. I'm happy knowing its double crimped! $89 bucks shipped to my door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I've been happy with the CSF radiator in my wife's '03 4.7. They use a double steel crimp around the end tanks to prevent the common end tank seal leak WJ radiators get.

8 years of daily driving service and several summer trips to Moab has proven it to be a nice aftermarket replacement that I feel is on par with a Mopar unit.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #25 of 70 Old 01-18-2019, 11:47 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:

Axle Shafts - decided to replace these while I had the hub apart.
Don't toss out the OEM axle shafts. You'll be wanting them in a few months when the soft rubber boots on the new ones rip open. Yeah, most come with a lifetime warranty, but you'll get tired of swapping them every year or so.

Here's a vid that shows how to rebuild the OEM (Spicer) shafts and install an OEM boot that should be good for another 15 years. He shows the part number for the boot in the vid. I've bought them on ebay for around $45. Not cheap, but ya do it once and you're done.

BGDG280, jayheats and edhammond71 like this.
post #26 of 70 Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
I think I'll order a CSF Radiator after reading this comment. I'm happy knowing its double crimped! $89 bucks shipped to my door.

Still running that radiator in my wife's '03 WJ too. I replaced that radiator in her Jeep the year before we got married, so it's right around 10-11 years old at this point.
jayheats likes this.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.
post #27 of 70 Old 01-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Don't toss out the OEM axle shafts. You'll be wanting them in a few months when the soft rubber boots on the new ones rip open. Yeah, most come with a lifetime warranty, but you'll get tired of swapping them every year or so.

Here's a vid that shows how to rebuild the OEM (Spicer) shafts and install an OEM boot that should be good for another 15 years. He shows the part number for the boot in the vid. I've bought them on ebay for around $45. Not cheap, but ya do it once and you're done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETLO6J6uANw

I second this...the OE shafts are pretty nice. I recently had the driver's side boot fail on my wife's '03 WJ. 15 years and 160K miles and it finally split right near the band clamp. Fortunately I caught it early and was able to replace the boot prior to the joint failing.

Super easy to do, I lucked into a couple pairs of Moog CV boot kits for less than $5 each and finally had an excuse to use one. The boots don't seem to be quite as quality as the OE boots were, but even if I get 4-6 years out of them I'll be happy.
jayheats and USMCWO97 like this.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.
post #28 of 70 Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
jayheats

2004 WJ 

Finally got the pan back on.

Got it back on the road on Saturday after installing the new TRE's, New JKS Trackbar, New Steering Stabilizer and bleeding the new brake calipers.

GmanWJ and edhammond71 like this.

2004 WJ TRL HWK Edition
F/R Vari-lock
post #29 of 70 Old 01-21-2019, 03:08 PM
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Good work man, nice thread, nice WJ
jayheats likes this.

91 XJ, Yellow, Dirty ALOT, 34 x 10.50 x 15 Super Swampers. Looking for Trails and Off Road fun!
95 XJ 2 Door 5 spd, 2" lift, 31 x 11.50 x 15 Super Swampers....this thing is a bada** for being nearly stock!
post #30 of 70 Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM
edhammond71

1936 CJ2A 

Garage
How much of a pain was it to pull the pan? How long from start to finish?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in