2004 WJ Speedometer Jumping/Surging And Now Dying - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-05-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

2004 WJ Speedometer Jumping/Surging And Now Dying

Hello Everyone

Potentially Relevant Information:

In January I was getting a whine from the rear of my Jeep. It was intermittent at first but it soon became constant. Turns out the sound was coming from my fuel filter. I replaced it with a Wix and the sound went away. Everything was great after that.

Now:

Starting about two weeks ago, I have run into the problems as mentioned in the title of this post.

I first noticed the issue on the highway. I was going maybe 60-70 mph on my way home from work when I felt a sudden loss of power, almost a jerking or pulling feeling in the rear. When this happened, the speedometer twitched and jumped from 40-60 or so. Traffic began to move around me as I could feel the Jeep slowing/losing power. This happened maybe once or twice, so I put my foot into it and away I went. (This loss of power didn’t happen again for a week.)

No check engine light. Nothing whatsoever. I took it to Oriellys straight away to check codes, but there were none. Only a malfunction. “Left Rear Wheel Speed Signal Malfunction”. After finding this out, it kind of occurred to me the pulling feeling seemed like it was coming from the left rear. Maybe I was just trying to convince myself of this being the issue.

No issues for a week, planned on taking off the wheel to check the sensor to see if it was loose or damaged, but life is busy right now.

Issue has become much more frequent. The same pulling feeling in the rear, slowing at highway and even speeds around 40, speedometer twitching. Now on top of that, I was idling at a light and the engine shut off. It started right back up. Today, on my way to work, I was experiencing the slowing and pulling/loss of power feeling and so took the highway exit and managed to get into a parking lot, came to a park and the engine shut off. Again started right away (first try and almost instantly). So I drove home while experiencing the same symptoms. Luckily I have sick days.

I’ve tried to search these issues but it’s kind of difficult as it seems like these symptoms could be related to multiple problems. Anyone out there have experience with this or any recommendations?

I don’t know much about wheel sensors or if that could be the issue somehow, regarding the ABS, but I would think maybe not due to engine dying at idle?

Almost seems like a fuel issue to me. I haven’t noticed anything weird with surging electric power, radio or lights or anything of that nature.

Some similar threads people have recommended cleaning the throttle body, changing the CPS and a few other things. Though my issue seems somewhat different. My greatest worry is a tranny. Though other than these problems the Jeep has been running fine. Bought it with about 140k on it and it’s right about 152k now.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for being awesome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-05-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

I wanted to add that I idled the Jeep at home for 30 minutes and it seemed completely fine.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
My first move would be to double check your battery connections. Both on the battery posts, and where the cables go into the cable ends. Make sure there is no corrosion, and everything is tight.

I wonder if you have two different problems going on here. Need to get to that ABS sensor and see whats going on. Kinda sounds like something is coming apart near that LR axle bearing.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2020, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
My first move would be to double check your battery connections. Both on the battery posts, and where the cables go into the cable ends. Make sure there is no corrosion, and everything is tight.

I wonder if you have two different problems going on here. Need to get to that ABS sensor and see whats going on. Kinda sounds like something is coming apart near that LR axle bearing.
Hey Bigrigr, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and replaced the speed sensor on the rear left wheel. I drove about 50-60 miles with no issues yesterday. Today though, again on the way to work, RPM and Speedo needles jumped about three times, each time this happened I was holding around 50-60 MPH. Makes me believe it’s not a shifting issue, but maybe more of a slip. Each time the needles jump there is a hard pulling or thud feeling in the rear, not exactly sure how to describe it other than that.

I had codes ran again on Saturday before I changed the sensor, didn’t have any new codes and the speed sensor malfunction didn’t show, but swapped it out anyways.

I’m beginning to think that I may be looking at the early signs of a failing transmission. Wouldn’t a code be thrown for tranny though?

Anyone else faced an issue like this? I’m considering cleaning up the throttle body and swapping out sensors, though I’m not sure that’s the direction I need to go.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

Here is a video of the speedometer when I am experiencing the slam/slip. https://youtu.be/vak0SaUXbn4

Could this be a wheel bearing issue?
Someone please help!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

Is there no one out there who recognizes this problem?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-10-2020, 10:46 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
What did the wheel speed/abs sensor look like when you changed it? Was it damaged in any way? Covered in metal shavings? I would be checking for contaminated transfer case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, and trans fluid. Make sure everything is full. And if you have not serviced any of these gear boxes, start by doing that. I really wonder about a bad rear end, or something similar. If that wheel speed sensor was covered in metal shavings, it could be a clue of what direction to head in. If something is coming apart inside there, it can grind things down to metal shavings or metal powder, and the wheel speed sensors can pick it up because they are magnetic. Then the metal shavings covering the end of the sensor can foul up the signal to the speedo/abs controller, and cause the lights to come on on the dash. Which send you chasing a new sensor......

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

Quote:
What did the wheel speed/abs sensor look like when you changed it? Was it damaged in any way? Covered in metal shavings? I would be checking for contaminated transfer case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, and trans fluid. Make sure everything is full. And if you have not serviced any of these gear boxes, start by doing that. I really wonder about a bad rear end, or something similar. If that wheel speed sensor was covered in metal shavings, it could be a clue of what direction to head in. If something is coming apart inside there, it can grind things down to metal shavings or metal powder, and the wheel speed sensors can pick it up because they are magnetic. Then the metal shavings covering the end of the sensor can foul up the signal to the speedo/abs controller, and cause the lights to come on on the dash. Which send you chasing a new sensor......
When I pulled the sensor it looked like it was in good shape, actually. I have heard about them snapping off at the head. Luckily mine came right out. It looked clean, but I will take a closer look at it to see if there is any evidence of a gear issue.

I was planning on servicing the tranny to start. Wanted to make sure that was the right direction to go for this kind of a thing. Tranny fluid level and color looks good at the stick far as I can tell.

I’m also going to check the CPS sensor connection and do plugs and wires. Can’t really think of anything else.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

It may be worth noting that the issue tends to happen more so during the day when it is a little warmer. Not sure much at night. We have had some pretty good sun last few days here in WA state, and some clear cold nights.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

On my way home today from work I stopped by Oriellys to check for the speed sensor fault after changing the sensor and sure enough it was still there; same left rear wheel speed sensor malfunction.

As soon as I left, hitting traffic, Jeep stalls out two to three times. Starts right back up and my RPMs decided to start surging from 0 to just under 1000 at an idle. It did it a couple times and stopped. Then while accelerating the normal speedometer dance, and this time rpms joined in on the fun. And of course with the dance, the rear end thuds.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
This is definitely a weird one, I cant help but wonder if we dont have more than one problem going on here. One causing the engine to die randomly, and one causing the speedo bounce.

I went back and reread your initial post and i also agree that i wonder about the fuel pump/filter. I would want to get a fuel pressure gauge on there and tuck it under your wiper blade with the gauge face pointed towards the interior. We wanna make sure that the fuel pressure is constant and in spec. When i first brought my WJ home, it ran ok for the first 30-40 miles, then started running irratic when above 50 mph. If i got on the freeway and tried to run at 70, it would go for a short distance, then it would start to stutter. As soon as i slowed down and got off the freeway, it would be fine. I could run it around town all day if i never went over 50mph. But it would act up every time i tried to go faster. Turned out my fuel pump would die out at high speeds, and the only way i found the issue was driving around with a fuel pressure gauge i could see from the drivers seat. I had no codes or check engine light while this was happening. I would recommend you do something similar, even if its just to eliminate the pump.

If the trans fluid looks good, i would recommend that you dig into that rear axle first for a service and a look-see. You have a wheel speed sensor code for back there, and some other funny noises going on that warrant pulling that cover and poking around. Pay close attention to the metal in the fluid and on the magnet. May give some clues. FWIW

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #12 of 12 Old 03-17-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Bingedmr

Quote:
This is definitely a weird one, I cant help but wonder if we dont have more than one problem going on here. One causing the engine to die randomly, and one causing the speedo bounce.

I went back and reread your initial post and i also agree that i wonder about the fuel pump/filter. I would want to get a fuel pressure gauge on there and tuck it under your wiper blade with the gauge face pointed towards the interior. We wanna make sure that the fuel pressure is constant and in spec. When i first brought my WJ home, it ran ok for the first 30-40 miles, then started running irratic when above 50 mph. If i got on the freeway and tried to run at 70, it would go for a short distance, then it would start to stutter. As soon as i slowed down and got off the freeway, it would be fine. I could run it around town all day if i never went over 50mph. But it would act up every time i tried to go faster. Turned out my fuel pump would die out at high speeds, and the only way i found the issue was driving around with a fuel pressure gauge i could see from the drivers seat. I had no codes or check engine light while this was happening. I would recommend you do something similar, even if its just to eliminate the pump.

If the trans fluid looks good, i would recommend that you dig into that rear axle first for a service and a look-see. You have a wheel speed sensor code for back there, and some other funny noises going on that warrant pulling that cover and poking around. Pay close attention to the metal in the fluid and on the magnet. May give some clues. FWIW
Thanks for the reply bigrigr. Haven’t had a chance to check my fuel pressure yet, although, drove the Jeep yesterday and when I started to get the speedometer issue, my fuel gauge dropped all of the way down, chimed, and went back up. I’ll be checking my fuel pressure ASAP. I can’t help but think this is a fuel system issue at this point that’s causing me to shift hard and stall intermittently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in