2004 WJ Rear window rolling down? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Jeeper1970

2004 WJ Rear window rolling down?

Hi guys,

My 04 WJ 4.7HO rear driver side window rolls partially down when key on position (some times). It goes up/down easily with switches. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
I would suspect the wiring in the rubber boot at the 1) driver's door or 2) malfunctioning door. You are going to have to look inside the boot for broken wires. Other possibility is the window regulator, although usually when they go it means 100% failure with the window just falling down and staying there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Jeeper1970

Ya, I was planning on checking the wires within the boot(s). I just thought it was weird that it would go down just part way. I would have thought a short or something similar would either stop if from working or make it go all the way down.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Agreed, it is weird that it only goes down a little. But what else could it be? Something is pushing voltage to that circuit and engaging the regulator. That points to a short. Possibly even a grounding issue. There is a very good thread in here that can point you to all the grounding points that could use a touch-up after all these years, but not sure where the thread is right now. I think @Uniblurb wrote it? (I tried to tag him but don't think I did it right)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You rang Gman? Lol, and your tagging/mention did work. It's a little difficult to find but my 'ground write-up' is in the FAQ's at the end of the 'Electrical' section.

Not sure on the rear driver's side door but it's likely the same as the driver's front door where the ground would be G301 which is the last diagram in the below section post. The location should be to the left of the front seat under the carpet on the floor or under the seat itself. But if there was problems with this ground there may be problems with other things since there's lots of things using this ground.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post39199282

Info was vague in doing ground research but there may also be a ground wire in the rear door and know there's one on the front under the inner cover.

Believe it's a good idea to check the wiring in the boots for breaks/shorts on both the front driver's door and rear one as Gman already mentioned.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Jeeper1970

Thanks again guys, I will be looking into broken wires/grounds in both driver side doors. I love intermittent issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in