2004 WJ 4x4 4.7 vin N missing parts question - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uniblurb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
valen1972

2004 WJ 4x4 4.7 vin N missing parts question

OK, so it looks like I may have been taken for a ride at 3600.00 for my WJ, the more I get into it (blew the radiator on the way home) I see bolts missing everywhere under the hood, wiring harnesses and transmission cables dangling and now I see a missing transmission dust cover and from what I can tell the engine to transmission collar is MIA as well. My fault for not crawling around it as much as I should have. For now until I can track down the parts.......... somewhere....... is it safe to drive as is (son has to get to Nat Guard drill 80 miles away in a week) or should it stay parked til we at least find the missing engine to transmission collar?

Attached Thumbnails
2019-05-25 02.57.12.jpg   2019-05-25 02.56.51.jpg   2019-05-25 02.56.30.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 AM
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

I'll let someone with more experience chime in here, but I think you should park until all issues are sorted. The transmission being exposed like that....yikes.

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
valen1972

Also if anyone who is more knowledgeable than I can chime in............ I am trying to determine what if any other parts are MIA as I see them. Have threaded holes in 3 of the 4 circled spots, anyone know if anything is MIA that should be there?
Attached Thumbnails
Snap 2019-05-25 at 13.42.35.jpg  

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Nice and the seller must have had the engine or transmission out, or both. I would not drive it w/o that engine to trans collar, also called a 'structural cover', missing or you may damage something. They even have a torque sequence for the bolts (8) listed for it as can be seen below.

Not sure if you have a shift cable bracket missing in your last photo and I'd have to look at my 04 4.7 in the daylight tomorrow. Regardless, sounds like you best be making a list or take some photos of parts missing and go to the junk yard. Good luck.

Here's the info on the structural support/engine to trans collar.
Attached Images

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
valen1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Nice and the seller must have had the engine or transmission out, or both. I would not drive it w/o that engine to trans collar, also called a 'structural cover', missing or you may damage something. They even have a torque sequence for the bolts (8) listed for it as can be seen below.

Not sure if you have a shift cable bracket missing in your last photo and I'd have to look at my 04 4.7 in the daylight tomorrow. Regardless, sounds like you best be making a list or take some photos of parts missing and go to the junk yard. Good luck.

Here's the info on the structural support/engine to trans collar.
I appreciate any light you can shed on what parts may be missing Uniblurb, I can provide photos of any area in the WJ you want. I def understand not driving it but bad thing is we have to drive it as it is the primary vehicle in the house (it replaced the one that got wrecked), good thing is we can keep it within 2 miles and absolute minimal use for now. Because of these missing parts my son is making arrangements for getting to his Nat Guard drill this month and hopefully we can scrounge the parts somewhere before he has to go again.

As for finding the parts, so far no junk yards have either the dust cover or the structural collar within 20 miles of us, every Jeep WJ they have seems to be a 4.0 I am going to LKQ as soon as I can to see if the C1500 will have matching parts but I think the starter is on the wrong side on those. As for how this mess of a vehicle got this way, I don't think the used car lot did it, just didn't get that vibe, but I could be wrong. Regardless I have to make this work, and work well, as cheaply as I can, it took pretty much all we could scrounge to buy it and even more with what we are finding as we get deeper into it.

What we fixed so far was the radiator, which blew a hole in the top front on the way home from buying it (dealer paid for that but I don't think they will handle any other parts), drive belt tensioner, O2 sensor 2/2 wires (connector melted and destroyed by exhaust), and battery ground connector. We still have to fix a confirmed valve lash tick (stethoscope has no ticking at the chain guide tensioner areas and the tick is only heard directly on the valve cover, no loose header bolts, tick is from riders side so not evap purge) so looking to replace the valve lash adjusters in the coming weeks.

Right now as it is the parts we are trying to scrounge are below, we did have a missing Rear wiper pump, front wiper relay, battery tie down, and all the air filter box nuts but we have managed to find them from various sources:

1) AC bracket bolts (2) and threaded clips to radiator (AC actually works and has no leaks)
2) Battery pan bolt and threaded clip (closest to front of of vehicle)
3) Stud for ground/harness bracket (should be ground G100, PCM insulated ground to right side of Intake plenum) Currently the PCM ground strap is attached to a coil/on plug stud where a braided ground currently lives
4) Air intake hose from front clip to air filter box
5) Transmission dustcover/shim (the flat metal plate between motor and tranny)
6) Engine to Transmission structural collar
7) ???more to come??? hopefully not

Other than all that, it seems to run strong, looks very good in and out, 4wd locks up and seems to work well in Florida sugar sand (we tested before we knew about the missing transmission parts and we will be checking to make sure the transfer case is not filled with ATF) and the Jeep has zero codes popped (per bluedriver)

Sorry for the long read and thanks all!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1972 View Post
Also if anyone who is more knowledgeable than I can chime in............ I am trying to determine what if any other parts are MIA as I see them. Have threaded holes in 3 of the 4 circled spots, anyone know if anything is MIA that should be there?
Dug through my photos and my 2004 4.7 WJ does not have anything bolted to those holes on the side of the transmission. The transfer case and transmission cable bracket is aft of those holes. Believe that vertical hole is used by the factory to support the tranny in a stand.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Soem0

Yeah pretty sure that debris shield will require pulling the trans off the engine to get it on. I don't have anything bolted to those threaded spots on the side of the trans so you aren't missing anything there.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
valen1972

Thanks Oktavius and Soem0, that at least makes me feel a little better.......... now If I could just find the parts I'd be doing better.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1972 View Post
I appreciate any light you can shed on what parts may be missing Uniblurb, I can provide photos of any area in the WJ you want. I def understand not driving it but bad thing is we have to drive it as it is the primary vehicle in the house (it replaced the one that got wrecked), good thing is we can keep it within 2 miles and absolute minimal use for now. Because of these missing parts my son is making arrangements for getting to his Nat Guard drill this month and hopefully we can scrounge the parts somewhere before he has to go again.

As for finding the parts, so far no junk yards have either the dust cover or the structural collar within 20 miles of us, every Jeep WJ they have seems to be a 4.0 I am going to LKQ as soon as I can to see if the C1500 will have matching parts but I think the starter is on the wrong side on those. As for how this mess of a vehicle got this way, I don't think the used car lot did it, just didn't get that vibe, but I could be wrong. Regardless I have to make this work, and work well, as cheaply as I can, it took pretty much all we could scrounge to buy it and even more with what we are finding as we get deeper into it.

What we fixed so far was the radiator, which blew a hole in the top front on the way home from buying it (dealer paid for that but I don't think they will handle any other parts), drive belt tensioner, O2 sensor 2/2 wires (connector melted and destroyed by exhaust), and battery ground connector. We still have to fix a confirmed valve lash tick (stethoscope has no ticking at the chain guide tensioner areas and the tick is only heard directly on the valve cover, no loose header bolts, tick is from riders side so not evap purge) so looking to replace the valve lash adjusters in the coming weeks.

Right now as it is the parts we are trying to scrounge are below, we did have a missing Rear wiper pump, front wiper relay, battery tie down, and all the air filter box nuts but we have managed to find them from various sources:

1) AC bracket bolts (2) and threaded clips to radiator (AC actually works and has no leaks)
2) Battery pan bolt and threaded clip (closest to front of of vehicle)
3) Stud for ground/harness bracket (should be ground G100, PCM insulated ground to right side of Intake plenum) Currently the PCM ground strap is attached to a coil/on plug stud where a braided ground currently lives
4) Air intake hose from front clip to air filter box
5) Transmission dustcover/shim (the flat metal plate between motor and tranny)
6) Engine to Transmission structural collar
7) ???more to come??? hopefully not

Other than all that, it seems to run strong, looks very good in and out, 4wd locks up and seems to work well in Florida sugar sand (we tested before we knew about the missing transmission parts and we will be checking to make sure the transfer case is not filled with ATF) and the Jeep has zero codes popped (per bluedriver)

Sorry for the long read and thanks all!
It sounds like you're already doing a good job figuring on what parts are missing and I'll help if I can. Also you must be reading my ground write-up and good deal on figuring out which grounds go where.

Chrysler/Jeep needs to assign more names to that 'structural cover', also called a 'engine to transmission collar', and now I've found it by another name called 'bedplate cover'.

It's OE #53020885 and still available but not cheap. I've also heard shipping can be high on those Mopar online websites.

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/.../53020885.html

The 8 bolts w/washers which hold the structural cover to the engine and trans are all the same part number (OE 6101 985) or buy hardened bolts in the size M10 x 1.50 x 45.

Unfortunately the below transmission dust cover (OE 52104133) has been discontinued so you'll have to find it used or on a warehouse shelf somewhere.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...M=Limited+4WD)

But there could be an aftermarket one out there and it's also worth searching ebay. Good luck.
BeetleCamry likes this.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in