• 1 Post By CarlJH
  • 1 Post By LuthWJ77
  • 1 Post By wjpaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
rcpjeep
1996 ZJ 

Wj 2004 Jeep Grand cherokee bent Control Arm frame mounts

Hit a tree stump with enough force to blow off both airbags, bounce my front axle backwards into my oil pan (big dent) and bend both frame control arm mounts.
believe it not, still drives straight.

#1.where can I purchase new frame control arm mounts.
#2. do I have to cut off the old ones?
#3. is there anything else I should look into? (were already replacing the entire front axle as is is cracked.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190521_164718.jpg   IMG_20190521_164553.jpg   IMG_20190521_164602.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
rcpjeep
1996 ZJ 

Wj pics of control arm frame mount

control arm frame mount
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190521_192618.jpg   IMG_20190521_192743.jpg  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
How is this not reported as an "R" title? I know that you said it drives straight, but you can't be referring to interstate travel.

2000 Laredo. Now a donor vehicle to my
2002 Laredo. Baloo. Currently a work in progress.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....

post #4 of 12 Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpjeep View Post
Hit a tree stump with enough force to blow off both airbags, bounce my front axle backwards into my oil pan (big dent) and bend both frame control arm mounts.
believe it not, still drives straight.

#1.where can I purchase new frame control arm mounts.
#2. do I have to cut off the old ones?
#3. is there anything else I should look into? (were already replacing the entire front axle as is is cracked.
The answer to your question #2 is, if you wish to replace the old ones with new ones, then, yes, some cutting and welding WILL be involved.

The answer to question 1 is: I don't know. When you do that much damage to a 15 year old vehicle, you're insurance company usually gives you a check for something you all ready bought. Assuming you have insurance and full coverage....

My answer to question #3 is this.... You popped BOTH airbags. Are you ok? Is the passenger ok? If you both are in good health as approved by a physician, then I'd probably adjust your route and driving habits and consider a different vehicle. The WJ is hard to top as far as safety and driveability. You've proven that much. But, the next time, you might not get so lucky.

She's out to pasture, friend,......

2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
rcpjeep
1996 ZJ 

I do not need to adjust my driving habits,no accidents in 35 yrs.
offroading snow travel can get playful sometimes, and I slid down a snowbank, and hit a tree stump buried in the snow!

I was just looking for advise as to where I could buy the replacement parts ( not critisizm?)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

Put a 6" long arm lift kit on it, then you don't need to worry about the old mounting points!
If you really want to fix it back to standard yourself then you need another WJ so you can measure where exactly the bolts holes should line up.
best way I can think of is a trip to a junk yard to find a decent one to measure then just cut them off and weld back on yours, maybe even get the axle as well while your there.
ShinyWJ likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
What CarlJH said. IRO makes a kit that's high clearance arm design makes you cut the frame mounts off anyway. Since you don't need the springs or shocks should be pretty reasonably priced too. I have the 4" Critical Path kit from them and that thing is super flexy and rides great on and off the road. Could be an upgrade and save the Jeep at the same time.
BeetleCamry likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
Put a 6" long arm lift kit on it, then you don't need to worry about the old mounting points!
If you really want to fix it back to standard yourself then you need another WJ so you can measure where exactly the bolts holes should line up.
best way I can think of is a trip to a junk yard to find a decent one to measure then just cut them off and weld back on yours, maybe even get the axle as well while your there.

Yep, going long arms (at least up front) will solve the issue of the torn up factory mounts. Long arms will include a new crossmember that the new control arms will mount to. Most long arm kits require at least 4" of lift,

However, if you're stock height and have no plans on lifting your WJ you'll likely need to have new mounts fabbed up by a local shop, I'm not aware of anyone that offers replacement factory style mounts.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM
97jeepxj1
2004 WJ 

Extreme 4x4 did that exact build with a wrecked wj that took out the arms and mounts. Hacked it off and went 6" long arm kit and turned it into an overlanding vehicle
post #10 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpjeep View Post
I do not need to adjust my driving habits,no accidents in 35 yrs.
offroading snow travel can get playful sometimes, and I slid down a snowbank, and hit a tree stump buried in the snow!

I was just looking for advise as to where I could buy the replacement parts ( not critisizm?)
I really wasn't trying to criticize you. Sorry that you took it that way. And sorry that it came across that way.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 AM
lemioux12

2003 WJ 

wow that looks massed up ... if that axle is straight and still ok and have good parts in it , i'd pull it off, weld the pumkin TRUSS it , reinforce it good ( inner sleeves) , weld NEW control arms brackets AXLE level not bellow and rock and roll it further
that crack in the pumpkin is what will give for sure , a pothole will be enough for it to let go, imo.
or do the easy thing , get another from a salvage yard.

03 WJ 2.7 CRD Overland ; 01 B5 S4 Stg3+
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2019, 03:04 PM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Since you take it off road I would go with an IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm lift just as LuthWJ77 suggested. Go to a junk yard and pick up a front axle and while you have it out, rebuild it. Get a set of Bilstein 5100's, sway bar disconnects, a new adjustable track bar and a set of 31-32" tires and you'll have a good rig.
OldGreyV8 likes this.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in