2004 GC electrical issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
chief455

2004 GC electrical issue

suddenly, after closing any door, the interior lights never go off.
I have to turn the stalk and dim down to turn off (including dash lights). But, as soon as a door is opened / closed, the interior lights stay on again.

Passenger side window and door locks do not work. From the driver door master switch, or the passenger door switches.

Seemed to happen at he same time
is the power from driver door not feeding the passenger switches?
is the driver door interior light switch stuck open?

wiring to the driver door?

help!

2004 Grand Cherokee V8
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 07:58 AM
shoops5
2004 WJ 

Garage
Safe bet it's broken wires in the door jamb. You can pull the boot back and see them pretty easily. Common issue and there are a number of threads dealing with it in here from diagnosis to a few different ways of repairing (repair in the boot versus pulling all new wires through)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
chief455

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoops5 View Post
Safe bet it's broken wires in the door jamb. You can pull the boot back and see them pretty easily. Common issue and there are a number of threads dealing with it in here from diagnosis to a few different ways of repairing (repair in the boot versus pulling all new wires through)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok, that was my first thought, broken wires - but the boot looks tight and mint.
I'll start there. thanks!

2004 Grand Cherokee V8
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM
ratface

probably a wire in the door as stated but is it possible one of your door pressure switches is malfunctioning? You might try holding them down with your hand and see if any of them make any difference.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief455 View Post
suddenly, after closing any door, the interior lights never go off.
I have to turn the stalk and dim down to turn off (including dash lights). But, as soon as a door is opened / closed, the interior lights stay on again.

Passenger side window and door locks do not work. From the driver door master switch, or the passenger door switches.

Seemed to happen at he same time
is the power from driver door not feeding the passenger switches?
is the driver door interior light switch stuck open?

wiring to the driver door?

help!

Look for a broken green wire with a stripe. Peeling the boot back is a PITA, reinstalling it is a whole new challenge in itself. It will be between your driver side door and jamb. Have some crimp on connectors and some black electrical tape. And, you're gonna need a decent set of wire strippers. When you fix that wire, your problems will be solved, but look for others in that harness as well. I've fixed three different wires in that boot on our '04 WJ alone....

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #6 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
chief455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
Look for a broken green wire with a stripe. Peeling the boot back is a PITA, reinstalling it is a whole new challenge in itself. It will be between your driver side door and jamb. Have some crimp on connectors and some black electrical tape. And, you're gonna need a decent set of wire strippers. When you fix that wire, your problems will be solved, but look for others in that harness as well. I've fixed three different wires in that boot on our '04 WJ alone....
wow, now that's some detail info!

I'll post up what we find in that booty.
what about razoring an access slit length wise, and weather silicone back together?

thanks very much

2004 Grand Cherokee V8
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
I fixed a broken ground wire in the driver's side boot last week.

After lengthy reading and research on this forum I used a combination of ideas put forth by forum members.

I chose to take off the driver's door panel and remove the speaker which allows access to the door side of the boot.
I also removed the driver's kick panel allowing access to the body side of the boot. I removed that wire loom from a 'securing point' <driver inside left> allowing enough slack in the wires to give some working room once pulled outside the body side.
I then used a zip tie to collapse and hold the boot while I soldered the wires back together.

To be honest, the boot was not that difficult to secure back to the door or the body due to the access allowed by the removed parts.

I WOULD NOT slit the boot and attempt to silicon it back together, but that's just my opinion.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
chief455

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeters View Post
I fixed a broken ground wire in the driver's side boot last week.

After lengthy reading and research on this forum I used a combination of ideas put forth by forum members.

I chose to take off the driver's door panel and remove the speaker which allows access to the door side of the boot.
I also removed the driver's kick panel allowing access to the body side of the boot. I removed that wire loom from a 'securing point' <driver inside left> allowing enough slack in the wires to give some working room once pulled outside the body side.
I then used a zip tie to collapse and hold the boot while I soldered the wires back together.

To be honest, the boot was not that difficult to secure back to the door or the body due to the access allowed by the removed parts.

I WOULD NOT slit the boot and attempt to silicon it back together, but that's just my opinion.
^ me neither, I was drinking

I had the door panel off already, had a rattle, a clip and spot weld had come loose.
do you remember what wire - or did you pin them out? or just look for a beak?
I'll dig into that now that everyone agrees it's the hot spot.
It might be a few days before time allows, but I'll post up results. many thanks!

2004 Grand Cherokee V8
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
@chief455
Once you take a good look at the wires running thru the boot, you will no doubt see the culprit. My ground wire shielding was compromised and the copper wire was readily visible. It just depended on how I had the door positioned as to whether the ground was actually making contact at the broken point.
Just for curiosity's sake, I physically felt each wire through its length to see if there might be any other issues. I found none, however, others haven't found multiple wires compromised in that bundle.
Take your time, drink a few <more> beers and get back to us with your findings/results.
Jeff

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in