2003 WJ 6cyl transmission slipping - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
good03jeep

Mj 2003 WJ 6cyl transmission slipping

My 03 WJ has 162K miles. The transmission intermittently slips going into 3rd gear. What happens is as speed is accelerated to around 40 mph, it does not shift, the tach spikes to 3500 as if it is in neutral. Easing off the speed most times it slips into gear, Sometimes it takes a couple times doing this. Sometimes it just shifts as is normal.

I know nothing about transmissions and the cpl of shops I've talked to have offered no explanation other than say they they have to look inside and see what the problem is and that I might need a new transmission, which I don't wish to go that expense.

The truck is very good condition other wise, Runs great, no other mechanical issues, could use shocks. Cosmetically inside and out in very good condition.

Thanks very much for you insights!

Russ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 PM
tjmaximus
NeverEndingWorkInProgress

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it's the 42re transmission, which is usually behind the 4.0 it could be the speed sensor that screws into the bottom on the driver's side or maybe not! I changed it out on our '03 with an aftermarket brand (Dorfman I think) and it worked fine for bout 2 to 3 weeks then started doing that crap again. So I found a MOPAR OME VERSION that I have yet to put in because of the weather and I'm no spring chicken! Hopefully that will fix it , but who knows. Always disconnect your battery when working on electrical stuff on these things. there's a wire coming out of it you will have to disconnect, check it for frays or cuts, etc. and have a catch pan handy because about a pint of tranny fluid will run down your arm! Good Luck, Hope this fixes your problem!

White Jeep Club #44
98 TJ Sport

see profile for mods.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2020, 02:51 AM
Swiff
2000 WJ 

Garage
I did a full transmission rebuild on the 42re years ago. They have some problems that can be fixed without removing the entire transmission. The first problem is the valve body solenoids and transducer. There is also a shift spring that breaks causing erratic shifts. There is also a clip that breaks in the overdrive housing.
The overdrive housing is not expensive to buy a rebuilt unit and can be done without removing the transmission. The valve body parts and 3/4 shift spring part can also be done without removing the transmission also. Full transmission rebuild

Derek
2k WJ Laredo - 4.0L - 42RE - Select-Trac 242 - 3.55 -

post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2020, 09:52 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

start simple easy
Scan for codes even if the CEL is off - a scanner is recommended for trans issues.
Fluid and filter, be sure to use ATF+4 fluid. Also check pan for debris when down.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in