2003 Jeep WJ Track Bar/ Death Wobble Issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-26-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Jmonroe98
2003 WJ 

2003 Jeep WJ Track Bar/ Death Wobble Issue

Hello, I currently own a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and recently installed a 2 inch lift kit from Rough Country. Because I changed the whole "geometry" of the vehicle, I understand there may be some extra things that are required to help keep the Jeep stable while driving on this new lift. I did make a separate purchase for the steering stabilizer. I recently had to replace my right outer tie rod end because it was very worn out which played a factor in the death wobble problem I had. So I consulted my personal mechanic, and he replaced the tie rod end, and that solved the death wobble for the time being. However, just recently, I ran into the death wobble problem again, however it was not as consistent as before which leads me to believe that the tie rod end played a factor into the death wobble but was not the root cause. My ball joints and everything else are fine. We are coming to conclude that it may very well be the track bar. Now my question is, If I were to replace the track bar, will I need an after market adjustable track bar? Or just a normal one to replace he OE? Reminder she sits 2 inches higher, but I did not go with bigger tires or rims and did nothing else to the suspension. Pretty much the whole kit was spacers, and the new shocks. Other than the death wobble problem, she drives real nice and I am pleased with the lift itself. But I have researched other sources and some people say that I need an adjustable track bar and some say that I shouldn't because it is only a 2 inch lift. So I am a little unsure of where I should turn next. But before I make any more conclusions, I was hoping somebody could give some info on what might need to be done in order to solve this issue. This is my first time with a lift kit so I am somewhat new to the whole process. So any words of advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-26-2018, 02:19 PM
jwdrinkwaterjr
2000 WJ 

I recently had a 2.5” spacer lift put in mine. There are so many causes of DW. How’s your control arm bushings? How about the ones on top of the front axle? Also, it could be your driveshaft. Is it the crappy one with CV joints on both ends?
I replaced literally everything when the lift went in to make sure I’d experience no DW issues as my daughter will be driving my Jeep.

Take your front driveshaft out first and drive it a few days. If that isn’t the culprit then I’d look at bushings. My track bar is new but stock length as are my sway bar links. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 PM
silverpain02
2002 WJ 

Garage
I replaced just about everything on mine. Put on a JKS track bar. The thing that did the trick was replacing the steering damper with a heavy duty one from Advance Auto.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2018, 03:35 PM
az-4x4
2004 WJ 

I have an 04, I have a 4" rough country lift. Granted I just bought this rig exactly a week ago today, however I have some issues with the front end as well. All front ball joints and tie rod ends are new. I agree with jwdrinkwaterjr, take out that front drive shaft to help determine if you might have some bad ujoints.
I do have a crazy weird lean when I turn, the *** end sags and seems to pull. I had an alignment done and they pointed out my rear track bar bushing are completely toasted. My new track bars with installed bushings and the rear upper control arm and ball joint showed up yesterday. I'm going to install those tonight, that may solve part of my problem. But i think I have axle issues causing my vibrations in the front end. Some super strange noises when I am slowing down at a stop light. So, I know I rambled there for a bit, not sure if you're experiencing anything I just mentioned but I've spent the past week on this forum abusing the search function to help diagnose my problems.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in