2Likes
  • 1 Post By rfesu
  • 1 Post By helijeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
samuerisym

2003 4.0L Engine Replacement

Hey y'all,

I'm restoring an 03 WJ and I'm currently looking at sourcing a 4.0L engine. I need an opinion on which I should pick as I'm fairly new to the game and this is a big job for me. I've found an 00 TJ 4.0 with 86k miles on her for $450 and I'm fairly certain the head is good on the Cherokee I currently have. My thought process with that is that I can swap the head from my blown engine (probably a spun crank bearing) onto the TJ engine because it had a faulty head on it in that model year. Of course, I could go the junkyard route and spend a day pulling one myself, though my local junkyard doesn't offer any warranty on self - pulled parts. The junkyard route would cost me $200 for an engine that's probably good (little risky). My third option is to rebuild the engine. I've figured out using rock auto that it would cost me roughly $300 to rebuild the engine assuming it is indeed a spun bearing. My problem with rebuilding is that it would take around 10-12 hours and rebuilding is always a pandora's box. Those are my three options currently, I don't know if the TJ engine would be a direct swap either or if it would take heavy mods. I plan to sell this car but I've really fallen in love with it. Thank you so much to anyone who took time out of their day to read this, and it means the difference of what I decide from the advice y'all give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2020, 07:55 AM
rfesu

there's no way to rebuild that thing for $300 properly. if you 'spin a crank bearing' usually the lack of oil pressure from that has caused other damage. at the very least you'll want to have some proper machine work done rather than just slapping it together.

if you don't have much experience building engines, a low mileage engine from the wrecker could be more reliable, these engines don't have a lot of failures from factory build, but there's lots of stuff that can go wrong with a diy rebuild.

i'd either:

- buy a rebuilt crate motor from a reputable builder for a couple grand
- buy a wrecker motor and throw it in there
2oldjeeps likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A good junkyard will have compression test results and a warranty for their used motors. A $300 1/2 rebuild is pointless.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2020, 09:13 AM
helijeeper

I went the used route. LKQ had a motor for $750. Wish I could find the prices you're seeing.

Either way it came with 6mo 6K mile warranty and I've had no issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
2oldjeeps likes this.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Select Trac
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by helijeeper View Post
I went the used route. LKQ had a motor for $750. Wish I could find the prices you're seeing.

Either way it came with 6mo 6K mile warranty and I've had no issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

we have a u-pull it yard about a mile from here, that has bare engines for $175.00. uncle tony's has an online inventory, so you can see what's in the yard, before you go. find a totaled jeep, snag the engine, and you're only out $177.00 (they have a 2 dollar cover charge, to get in) if it doesn't work. last time i was at the yard, there were a dozen 4.0 engines to choose from.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in