2002 Grand Cherokee A/C Blues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 41 Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Spinifex

1999 WJ 

Also you noted you put a new fan relay in. Some of them have to be wired in backwards or the blower fan blows like an asthmatic 90 year old. Might be why your blower seems low?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 06-13-2021, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Well I returned the first set of gauges , Auto Zone agreed that they were not working right! So they exchanged me with a new set. I connected them up and with only a partial can left, improved the readings. I am still needing more refridgerant. It looks like I am getting there!
Question: Was this A/C system capable of more than mediocre, which is all I have been able to get ?
post #18 of 41 Old 06-13-2021, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
Also you noted you put a new fan relay in. Some of them have to be wired in backwards or the blower fan blows like an asthmatic 90 year old. Might be why your blower seems low?
No I said I put a new blower in a couple years ago, I also said I trouble shooted the clutch relay, and that it was ok! ( swapping another relay and checking systems.

The blower blows, If it blew more volume, it might cool better. I didn't design it!

post #19 of 41 Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
Well I returned the first set of gauges , Auto Zone agreed that they were not working right! So they exchanged me with a new set. I connected them up and with only a partial can left, improved the readings. I am still needing more refridgerant. It looks like I am getting there!
Question: Was this A/C system capable of more than mediocre, which is all I have been able to get ?

What are your pressure readings?
post #20 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

I didn't pull a vacume, I don't have the equipment yet. I took the gauge set back where I bought it, they said it shouldn't do that, that it probably had a bad seal. They exchanged it for me.
I hooked up this set, and it reads 28 on the low and 175 on the high. I added some more refrigerant, but it didn't change the readings any. So for the moment I'm leaving it be. I even started getting some flow out of the passenger vents. Not a lot. with 260,000 on it, bad seals would not surprise me. It is a single zone, nothing fancy in this Jeep.
post #21 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 04:59 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
28 is too low. That puts your evaporator temperature at 32 degrees (freezing). Until you evacuate the system, and get it to hold that vacuum steady for at least 30 minutes before putting the factory charge in, your chasing your tail. Until you do that it's impossible to give you a direction to go. You have to eliminate the obvious first. Once the system is 100% leak free, and the correct charge, then the pressures will point us in a direction to solving the issue.
post #22 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

FOR THE RECORD: When troubleshooting from the fuse, there is "suppossed to be continuity to ground" from the unpowered wire when plugged into the compressor and the switch on and Jeep running. That I perceived this to be a short was erroneous. There should NOT be connectivity with the compressor unplugged. While my wrong assumption got me looking in the right place, I thought I should point this out. After I repaired the wires, I no longer had connectivity while unplugged, but connectivity returned after I plugged the connector back in.
post #23 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
28 is too low. That puts your evaporator temperature at 32 degrees (freezing). Until you evacuate the system, and get it to hold that vacuum steady for at least 30 minutes before putting the factory charge in, your chasing your tail. Until you do that it's impossible to give you a direction to go. You have to eliminate the obvious first. Once the system is 100% leak free, and the correct charge, then the pressures will point us in a direction to solving the issue.
OK noted ! When I have the opportunity to make a trip to HF, I'll get the needed stuff, and try again ! Thanks!
WJ60 likes this.
post #24 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
Actually I didn't replace the relay, I just swapped it with another that was the same, and nothing changed, so I swapped them back the way they were. All I did was check to rule it out as a problem.
post #25 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 10:38 PM
Spinifex

1999 WJ 

Well you're one problem down so that's progress!
post #26 of 41 Old 06-14-2021, 11:01 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
post #27 of 41 Old 06-15-2021, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Ok, allow me to clear up some confusion here ! Some time ago I did replace the blower motor, it blows good, but if it blew more my feeling certainly would not be hurt. I did not replace the resistor. I don't recall even bringing this up. However the resistor was not working properly, I repaired it ! How ? you ask ? Simple , one of the connections on the resistor had simply broken away. I resoldered it, and it is still working fine. Nothing is wired backwards!
WJ60 likes this.
post #28 of 41 Old 06-16-2021, 07:40 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I would highly recommend pulling the blower motor and turn it on to check the rotation it's spinning.
post #29 of 41 Old 06-18-2021, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Ok ! It is still blowing as cold as it was, and its a real relief this week let me tell you. Anyway I re-read all the posts, and I actually learned something I didn't catch on to before about pulling the vacume, and about air and moisture in the line.
So let's see if I've got the right thought process going !

I install a new main hose, which on installation, is obviously full of atmospheric pressure "air" and "humidity", and not refrigerant.
So a source of air in the line is automatically present from that installation ?
Second, I bought a brand new set of gauges, which were also obviously full of atmospheric air and humidity. Source of air number two !

Am I correct with this observation? Am I correct or on the right track, that the vacume pull is to get air and moisture out of the system without removing the refridgerant? I previously did not understand just what the vacume pull was supposed to accomplish .

Also I should probably do this pretty soon ?
post #30 of 41 Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Oh I also meant to ask. When using the gauges, after I finish a check, Am I suppossed to keep everything in a "closed" position before disconnect ? So that the lines just have refridge in them? I have found that the high side seems more difficult to disconnect. Proper storage of the gauges? Can a partially emptied can stay screwed on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in