2000 WJ 4.7 Limited 4WD- BB or Full lift? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Motorcharge

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
No_Traction

Garage
2000 WJ 4.7 Limited 4WD- BB or Full lift?

We would like a mild lift from 2-3 inches based on trucks we've looked at. This will by my
wife's daily driver and we primarily would like it lifted for the look, however we do intend to
use the Jeep for easy trail riding (established dirt trails and snow), no rock crawling or anything
extreme.

I was considering the below Rough Country BB kit, It seems to me that this should be adequate for our intended use.
https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-su...hoCOnsQAvD_BwE

However I was also considering this Iron Rock 3" lift at 3x the cost if I really need it.
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...vc?Screen=PROD

I can't get no....Satis-traction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2018, 11:45 PM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

I also have a 2000 WJ with the 4.7/4wd. I had a 2 Budget Boost for a few months and ultimately went with an IRO 3 lift. IMO the 3 lift is the way to go for daily driving with added ground clearence and larger tire options. Im happy with mine. Especially with the fact that our springs are about 20 years old they are due for replacement. I will say id advise going with better shocks than the DT8000s, they ride pretty stiff and its a bit much for a daily.

With the IRO 3 lift I was able to fit 32 tires that rub a bit on near full lock of the steering wheel. Definitely gained a lot of ground clearence though. Im happy with the 3 lift and a lot of other people are as well.

why is my jeep always breaking???
post #3 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
No_Traction

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elJeepo_00WJ View Post
I also have a 2000 WJ with the 4.7/4wd. I had a 2 Budget Boost for a few months and ultimately went with an IRO 3 lift. IMO the 3 lift is the way to go for daily driving with added ground clearence and larger tire options. Im happy with mine. Especially with the fact that our springs are about 20 years old they are due for replacement. I will say id advise going with better shocks than the DT8000s, they ride pretty stiff and its a bit much for a daily.

With the IRO 3 lift I was able to fit 32 tires that rub a bit on near full lock of the steering wheel. Definitely gained a lot of ground clearence though. Im happy with the 3 lift and a lot of other people are as well.

Thanks. Your Jeep looks great and those tires are so meaty!

Were you able to do this yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I'm pretty good under the hood but have never messed with suspension related items.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:32 AM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Traction View Post
Thanks. Your Jeep looks great and those tires are so meaty!

Were you able to do this yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I'm pretty good under the hood but have never messed with suspension related items.

Thanks! Im pretty happy with how it looks now. No desire to lift it anymore.

I did it myself. Pretty straightforward and simple honestly. I took one day to do the front, one day to to the rear. You could do it all in one day but I wanted to take my time and be thorough. Its not bad doing it yourself, you can use the floor jack a lot to manipulate the axle up or down to allow for the other sides spring to compress or drop free.

There are only 15-20 nuts/bolts that you have to mess with. The rest is just lining up parts and getting springs into place. If you do the 3 lift pick up the coil spring isolators as well. They get to be mangled up pancakes. Also a good idea to consider the steering stabilizer as its likely ready for replacement.

Dont forget youll need an alignment after any lift. Your steering wheel will look like this with the wheels straight lol.

Keep in mind as well that a lift can bring out issues that werent so noticeable before. Worn our suspension components may be noticed after a lift and cause death wobble. So its a good idea to double check your control arm bushings, tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings etc out just to make sure everything is tight before the lift.

why is my jeep always breaking???
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

For what you are doing, I would say the 2" bb is plenty. I personally would look for one with polyurethane spacers rather than metal though. I dont know what if any actual difference it would make, but in my mind, it seems like metal would be a slightly rougher ride because it has no give, and may be noisier, in the rear of the rough country BB they have you remove the coil isolator and then reinstall the spring with the BB and without the isolator.... I would also worry about rust in the future....

The BB option will give you the best ride, When I did my spacer lift on my old WJ I didn't notice any difference in ride quality till I installed bigger tires.
But, there is something to be said for new springs on a 20 year old vehicle, depending on how many miles you have.

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

Skip the kit and just buy spacers and good quality shocks for 2" so you're not sacrificing ride quality. I'd rather spend $4-500 on Bilsteins and spacers than $250 on metal spacers and generic re-branded shocks.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 AM
cDee63

2004 WJ 

Garage
I was thinking the same thing, BB or full on lift. I am going the route Motorcharge suggests, 2" BB with Bilstein shocks. I will be towing a boat and occasionally a full size car and don't want it too tall.

2004 GC Limited 4.7
2006 Crown Vic Interceptor
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
No_Traction

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Skip the kit and just buy spacers and good quality shocks for 2" so you're not sacrificing ride quality. I'd rather spend $4-500 on Bilsteins and spacers than $250 on metal spacers and generic re-branded shocks.
That makes a lot of sense actually. What Bilsteins would you use? the IRO comes with 5100s so assuming these. The only other one on Bilstein's site is 4600.

What about used lift kits. A guy(that I don't know) in the local jeep club is selling his 2-3 yr old IRO 3" lift with Bilstiens for $250 minus adjustable track bar. $400 for what would cost $750 new. Is a lift kit with that much potential use something one should consider to buy used?

Thanks for all your help guys. I'd rather do this right 1 time, but I also don't want to pay for something I don't need.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Traction View Post
That makes a lot of sense actually. What Bilsteins would you use? the IRO comes with 5100s so assuming these. The only other one on Bilstein's site is 4600.

What about used lift kits. A guy(that I don't know) in the local jeep club is selling his 2-3 yr old IRO 3" lift with Bilstiens for $250 minus adjustable track bar. $400 for what would cost $750 new. Is a lift kit with that much potential use something one should consider to buy used?

Thanks for all your help guys. I'd rather do this right 1 time, but I also don't want to pay for something I don't need.
Yeah, the 5100s.

I'd buy used if the option was there and the price was right and depending on the area the vehicle was in for factors like rust, dry rot on bushings, ect. Coils and shocks will already be broken in.

Imo lift kits are rarely worth the money they retail for unless the seller is giving you options on stuff like shocks, fixed vs adjustable arms, ect and the kit still makes financial sense. More often than not you're better off piecing your suspension together to get it right.
No_Traction likes this.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-27-2018, 03:24 PM
rjblair
2004 WJ 

another option, what I went with, was 2" taller springs from Fat Bob's and Bilsteins to fit Kolac. My springs were sagging badly anyway and I have been very happy with it
post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

I got the 2.5"/2" BB using my Up Country springs and Bilstein 5100's. I used JK take offs and ended up getting like 4" over stock.

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in