2000 4.0 Clutch fan delete - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-24-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Wj 2000 4.0 Clutch fan delete

So for some reason I cannot find a thread that pertains to this specific thing, lots of "how-to remove" but nothing I can find on actually deleting it.

I have a 2000 WJ with the tow package, so I have both the electric fans and the clutch fan. Now I very rarely tow anything, and when I do it's a small 400lb 5 x 7 utility trailer with maybe a max of 700lbs in it (junk, dirt, rocks) and I'm trying to get even a LITTLE bit extra fuel mileage from it, I'm not expecting 10L/100km, but a little better than 17 would be nice.
I've already done all the maintenance and its an engine with only about 30,000km on it running ford 4 hole injectors, brand new O2 sensors, tires pressured up, no unnecessary weight, NGK spark plugs gapped to spec, etc.

Is it a simple unbolt and remove? Do I need to remove the clutch assy or just the blade? Has anyone already done this and could maybe point me to a write-up that I can't seem to find in the first 5 pages of the search?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 PM
smokeyyank

Most times you need to get a super skinny wrench on the nut that attaches to the water pump and twist it off. Should be reversed threaded.

Something like this to give you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-44180-C.../dp/B000W0WSPI

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 18 Old 02-24-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Most times you need to get a super skinny wrench on the nut that attaches to the water pump and twist it off. Should be reversed threaded.

Something like this to give you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-44180-C.../dp/B000W0WSPI
Is that to remove the entire clutch fan assy? Do I need to? Or can I just unbolt the fan blade?

post #4 of 18 Old 02-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Way easier to just spin it off the water pump like Smokey said.

Hope it doesnt overheat... The fan clutch is the main fan. It does most of the work before the electric fan comes on. The little electric fan may not be able to keep up by itself.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

I have a 2000 JGC 4.0 and I had over heating problems so I switched out my metal fan blade to a Ford Explorer 10 plastic blade fan and it has done wonders keeping my Jeep cold with the original fan clutch in the Jeep only thing I had to buy on amazon was the blade it just makes the Jeep sound like a airplane lol I have the same fan clutch and electric fan setup in my Jeep also. Fan clutch bolt should be a 36mm I kept both fans running in my Jeep and it’s been going on a year with no problems and I tow a boat and jetski and 6x12 trailer loaded
post #6 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 06:11 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

don't F with it. If it ain;t broke......
It is operating, no issues, it is DESIGNED to be the primary cooling, I see nothing good coming from the removal. .

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 06:55 AM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
Removing a properly operating clutch fan won't save enough gas to make the overheating worthwhile.

EngineMasters (or someone like them) tested the various fans for hp loss -- Hard-mounted to the water pump was the worst, clutch fans actually came a close second to electric.

Only reason I'd ditch a clutch fan is if I was planning on doing a lot of fording and needed an electric I could turn off with a switch.

2000 WJ
post #8 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaadman3 View Post
So for some reason I cannot find a thread that pertains to this specific thing, lots of "how-to remove" but nothing I can find on actually deleting it.

I have a 2000 WJ with the tow package, so I have both the electric fans and the clutch fan. Now I very rarely tow anything, and when I do it's a small 400lb 5 x 7 utility trailer with maybe a max of 700lbs in it (junk, dirt, rocks) and I'm trying to get even a LITTLE bit extra fuel mileage from it, I'm not expecting 10L/100km, but a little better than 17 would be nice.
I've already done all the maintenance and its an engine with only about 30,000km on it running ford 4 hole injectors, brand new O2 sensors, tires pressured up, no unnecessary weight, NGK spark plugs gapped to spec, etc.

Is it a simple unbolt and remove? Do I need to remove the clutch assy or just the blade? Has anyone already done this and could maybe point me to a write-up that I can't seem to find in the first 5 pages of the search?
You're not going to gain enough in the mpg department to justify the risk of what removing that fan can do. Especially if you tow a little every once in a while. You're already getting 17mpgs, and that's a LOT better than most of us with the 4.0l i6.

In the life of your WJ, you may need to replace that hydraulic clutch. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll DEFINITELY have to replace the e-fan and/or the relay some day, and you don't want that day to be the day that you also don't have your clutch fan.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #9 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
Quote:

You're not going to gain enough in the mpg department to justify the risk of what removing that fan can do. Especially if you tow a little every once in a while. You're already getting 17mpgs, and that's a LOT better than most of us with the 4.0l i6.

In the life of your WJ, you may need to replace that hydraulic clutch. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll DEFINITELY have to replace the e-fan and/or the relay some day, and you don't want that day to be the day that you also don't have your clutch fan.
That 17 is not MPG, that's L/100km, so roughly 13mpg, if it's not worth it I'll keep it on then.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasterkid305 View Post
I have a 2000 JGC 4.0 and I had over heating problems so I switched out my metal fan blade to a Ford Explorer 10 plastic blade fan and it has done wonders keeping my Jeep cold with the original fan clutch in the Jeep only thing I had to buy on amazon was the blade it just makes the Jeep sound like a airplane lol I have the same fan clutch and electric fan setup in my Jeep also. Fan clutch bolt should be a 36mm I kept both fans running in my Jeep and it’s been going on a year with no problems and I tow a boat and jetski and 6x12 trailer loaded
Oh I may give that a try then! Noise never bothers me, if it's lighter rotational mass on the engine I'll swap out to that plastic one. Thanks!
post #11 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
That 17 is not MPG, that's L/100km, so roughly 13mpg, if it's not worth it I'll keep it on then.
We're in winter blends for gasoline right now in the U.S. I'd be surprised if any of us are getting much better than 13mpg. I know I'm not with either WJ. They're both '04 4.0L i6s running perfectly. Both have factory tow packages. It's just the winter blend blues right now. In the summer, I'll be back up to 16 or 17 mpg in the city, 19 mpg on the highway. And that's just about as good as they get.
Klarah523 likes this.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #12 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
[QUOTE=Maaadman3;40884407]
Quote:
Oh I may give that a try then! Noise never bothers me, if it's lighter rotational mass on the engine I'll swap out to that plastic one, what year of explorer did you get the blade from? Searching for anything 4.0 that's not factory is almost impossible for some dumb reason.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 08:56 AM
WestKy
2001 WJ 

When I had an overheating problem I installed the 10 blade 335-55021-400. Within 2 days I had to replace the water pump. At 230K I'm sure the pump was on its last legs but that extra wenching took its toll on the seal.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 05:38 PM
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Another vote for just leaving it be. The clutch fan will save you when (not if) the e-fan or relay dies. I had both fans die on me while sitting in traffic on a 100+ degree day (not sure which one went first or when). The worn out clutch fan was just enough for me to limp it home with the heat on full blast.

I've been running a plastic GM fan for almost 2 years now and haven't noticed any difference in mpg. What it makes up for in less rotational mass, it loses in more air CFM being pushed. It will however slightly improve your cooling system which can be advantageous if you live in a warm climate.

Here are the links if you want to do the fan mod:
Fan
Clutch

Programmers don't die, they just lose their memory!

His: 2001 WJ I6
Hers: 2011 WK2 V6
post #15 of 18 Old 02-25-2020, 05:50 PM
WestKy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTopher View Post
Here are the links if you want to do the fan mod:
Fan
Clutch
I bought both of those, maybe not that exact fan but rather the 335-55021-400, the clutch was the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in