• 1 Post By SoCal2004wj
  • 1 Post By MuloChico
  • 1 Post By Delta0

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-07-2021, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

2" Puck Lift Making Noises

I installed a 2" puck lift a while back and new Bilstein shocks. Slight bumps in the road, not off-road or off the pavement, and I am getting squeaks and other kinds of noises. Its not constant. Definitely coming from the springs not someplace else. I would guess that compressing springs might cause stress and pressure, but nobody has mentioned it in the posts and articles I have read. Not critical but annoying. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-07-2021, 06:35 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
I installed a 2" puck lift a while back and new Bilstein shocks. Slight bumps in the road, not off-road or off the pavement, and I am getting squeaks and other kinds of noises. Its not constant. Definitely coming from the springs not someplace else. I would guess that compressing springs might cause stress and pressure, but nobody has mentioned it in the posts and articles I have read. Not critical but annoying. Is this normal?
I know that everybody calls them springs, but springs they are not Blue.
They are torsion bars.

Coil / coiled torsion bars.

Leaf springs can squeak when dry leaves rub against each other.
I can't see any way for torsion bars themselves to squeak.

I guess though you could get squeaks and other noises if you didn't seat the rubber doofers at the top and bottom of the "Springs" correctly

Apart from that, some of your joints are in a new position.
I suggest you check them out.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-07-2021, 03:15 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
When I had my budget boost it would squeak and groan, particularly when cold. When I put the 3" springs in I lost the spacers, no more noise. I did not replace the rear upper isolators with the new springs, one wore through and makes a heck of a racket. New isolators fixed that as well.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

post #4 of 15 Old 10-07-2021, 03:20 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Makes perfect sense. I never did the pucks but went straight to springs. I’ve never seen them called torsion bars personally. I appreciate the education however.
Delta0 likes this.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #5 of 15 Old 10-08-2021, 12:29 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
Makes perfect sense. I never did the pucks but went straight to springs. Iíve never seen them called torsion bars personally. I appreciate the education however.
Thanks Lead.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. I never did the pucks but went straight to springs. Iíve never seen them called torsion bars personally. I appreciate the education however.
WJ's (and other Jeeps) do have coil springs. Torsion bars are commonly seen on smaller Ford trucks like the Ranger and twist when force is applied. No such twisting force happens on a Jeep, the coils simply compress and extend.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Definitely called springs over here on our side of the pond...

I would agree with the earlier statement about checking your isolators. I have had these puck lifts installed on several different WJ's and most have not made any serious funny noises...But all had spring isolators that were new or in good shape. Also, make sure to TORQUE your rear shocks to 80ft lbs. It feels like way to much while you are climbing to 80, but when you get them torqued properly, there is no noise in the rear. Most people crank them with a regular wrench or impact, and get it WAY off from proper torque(me included at first)

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 09:59 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
WJ's (and other Jeeps) do have coil springs. Torsion bars are commonly seen on smaller Ford trucks like the Ranger and twist when force is applied. No such twisting force happens on a Jeep, the coils simply compress and extend.
You will also find them on every full size 4WD GM truck and most IFS front drive systems as well.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #9 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you SoC?

However, as a coil spring compresses, it twists.
Equally, if you stretch a coil spring it twists.

You can prove this to yourself by winding a length of USB lead around a length of round rod straight on.
Taking the coil off the rod.
And, with a firm grip, stretching the coil.

I just did exactly that, and I could feel the twisting force from the coil.

You get the same problem with rope or cable if you don't spool it off the reel.

From memory, the are 9 coils in a jeep front spring, and each coil is about 15" long.
That's about 135" of torsion bar, which is more than 11 foot of torsion bar.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 08:41 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you SoC?

However, as a coil spring compresses, it twists.
Equally, if you stretch a coil spring it twists.

You can prove this to yourself by winding a length of USB lead around a length of round rod straight on.
Taking the coil off the rod.
And, with a firm grip, stretching the coil.

I just did exactly that, and I could feel the twisting force from the coil.

You get the same problem with rope or cable if you don't spool it off the reel.

From memory, the are 9 coils in a jeep front spring, and each coil is about 15" long.
That's about 135" of torsion bar, which is more than 11 foot of torsion bar.
Like @Bigrigr mentioned, maybe it's a regional term. However, the coils do not have a significant amount of rotation/torsion to be called such. If that were the case, they would either destroy or come out of the isolators because they have a notch to prevent them from rotating in the perch. Who knows, maybe with worn/missing isolators the entire assembly really does rotate like you suggest
WJ60 likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
Quote:

that's because they're not. a spring is a coil of metal. a bar/rod is a straight piece of metal. a straight rod cannot be coiled because it is no longer a bar/rod. it is a coil. jeeps have coil springs. old jeeps have leafs. muscle car mopars have torsion bars. technically, a torsion bar is a spring, that applies lift/cushioning, in a torsional (rotating on center axis) bearing/direction. a coil spring suppresses compression/extension loads, across its coils.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #12 of 15 Old 10-10-2021, 11:52 PM
Delta0

Did you try the experiment / investigation I described Goldie, Lead?
post #13 of 15 Old 10-11-2021, 10:42 AM
MuloChico

2006 WK 

Coil springs use a torsional movement to work. This is all semantics. A "spring" applies force to resist movement. Torsion bars are a type of spring and coil springs use the torsion movement to work. An argument like this is for high school or earlier. Enjoy yourselves with it, I have more important (and interesting things to think about).
Delta0 likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Delta0

Thanks Mulo.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-13-2021, 01:39 AM
Delta0

Try as might, I couldn’t see any argument, semantic of otherwise, there Mulo.

I punted my view, Socal & Goldie punted their opposing views.
Then we got on with life.

All very gentlemanly.

Anyway, thanks for punting a view similar to mine.

If anyone wants to delve into it a bit further, there a lot of info here:-

To my mind, Tirereview did a booboo when they missed out air springs.

As they review tyres for a living, it seemed a bit silly when they forgot to describe how tyres (which are air springs) smooth the bumps out in the same way that metal springs smooth the bumps out.
As do air shocks (which work in parallel with metal springs) of course.
SoCal2004wj likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in