04 WJ Overland varlocker rear end left turn noise? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

04 WJ Overland varlocker rear end left turn noise?

First start of the day only when making left turns we have a binding and grabbing noise that feels like it is left axle or in left brake area. Anybody had anything like that? Goes away after driving a bit.

It has been doing this for couple 2-3 months. I drained both axles and refilled with 75w140 syn lube and friction modifier in June before road trip north from FL to VA but it didn't change anything.

Tried to jack rear to test rear end but didn't put transfer case in N so really couldn't test rear end for binding. Brakes seem to work fine.

Guess I need our jeep on lift to get all wheels off ground and get transfer case in N to see what gives.

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
If you have those LS diffs you have the 247 t case. Search on here for symptoms but could have the wrong fluid in that guy causing similar symptoms. 247 had an SB come out early in WJ existence that switched to a special fluid. Easier to drain and refill it also might try that first.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
If you have those LS diffs you have the 247 t case. Search on here for symptoms but could have the wrong fluid in that guy causing similar symptoms. 247 had an SB come out early in WJ existence that switched to a special fluid. Easier to drain and refill it also might try that first.
It is not transfer case it is rear axle where noise it located on Left drivers side.

Transfer case as I stated earlier has the special MOPAR in it I drained it and refilled with same MOPAR fluid.

Both front and rear axles clean new have Valvaline Syn 75w140 with friction modifier. I changed the fluids in June 2019 and it did not changed early morning L/H turns noise/binding feel.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Add some mopar friction modifier to the diffs, then go drive some figure 8's in a parking lot or dirt field. I used the same diff fluid but it still needed more modifier.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Bobo04

When I worked in Jeep dealership and had this customer complaint just changing oil and friction modifier would not solve the problem.
What we find out was after knocking the co er off to drain the fluid use brake clean to thoroughly clean carrier assembly and everything inside. After that fill with fresh Mopar fluid and friction modifier. In my experience Issue with limited slip differentials making noise while turning is due to not servicing them per recommende schedule. I have 04' Limited with over 200K which gets 30k service every 30-40k miles and my diffs never made any noise.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

My 04 JGC axles were sucked as dry as I could get them in June 2019 at 154k. They were last serviced before that at 120k. The noise started not long before the servicing at 154K. I used 75w140 Syn lube and correct amount of friction modifier. I had done lot of interstate towing a small cargo trailer with 3 ton limited axle between VA and FL but never loaded that heavy.

Wish the axle housings had drain plugs as I could not find any.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-01-2019, 01:18 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Did you add 2.5 oz of friction modifier to your rear axle as mentioned below or 4 oz? It takes 4oz of friction modifier in either the D35 or D44a rear axles.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post40726507

I've seen some cloudy specs in the FSM's before on quantities of gear oil and/or friction modifier in these axles. Like the info below I copied from your other thread/post.

FRONT AXLE
Model 186 FBI 1.18L (2.5 pts.)
* When equipped with Vari-Lok, include 0.07L (0.15
pts.) of Friction Modifier.
REAR AXLE
Model 194 RBI 1.66L (3.5 pts.)*
Model 226 RBA 2.24L (4.75 pts.)**
* When equipped with Trac-lok, include 2.5 ounces of Friction Modifier.
** When equipped with Trac-lok or Vari-Lok, include
2.5 ounces of Friction Modifier.

The rear axle, whether the D35 or D44a, should take a full 4 oz of friction modifier and 2.5 oz like the spec for the front axle wouldn't be enough. The way they wrote this it looks like the front and rear axles take the same amount of FM when they don't. Just thought I'd point this out and likely an error in their info wherever it came from.

The below info is correct for the WJ.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-2019, 02:21 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Just to point out some confusing information listed in the 04 FSM (factory service manual) I took a couple screen shots of the "Lubrication & Maintenance" section towards the beginning.

These couple screen shots pertain to the amount of FM (friction modifier) you add to the front and rear axles. And the amount of FM is based on using a Mopar gear oil with no FM already in it. If you were to go by the 1st shot (p.0-5) you'd be adding 4 oz FM to both the front and rear axles which is incorrect. As mentioned previously the correct spec is adding 2.5 oz FM to the front axle and 4 oz to the rear axle.

If you go by the 2nd screen shot (p. 0-7) from a chart, which is the same info I copied/pasted earlier, you'd add 2.5 oz FM to both the front and rear axles. Again this is incorrect and it's 2.5 oz for the front axle and 4 oz for the rear axle.

It's no wonder members get confused on which information to believe when the FSM makes it so confusing with incorrect info. And to add to the confusion there's a couple pages between this FSM info so you wouldn't be looking at both at the same time.

Below are the couple screen shots with supposed FM quantities listed on the bottom of each one.
Attached Images

&
post #9 of 15 Old 09-01-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

OK, I think I have (in)correct amount of friction modifier (FM) in my rear Dana 44. I put in 2.5 oz. with the synthetic 75w140 Valvoline. So do I need another 1.5 oz?

As for front axle I put way less than 2.5oz of FM in it as I thought (my bad) my 04 shop manual said .015pt FM in front now does that translate to 2.5oz I did not do a pint to liter conversion.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017jgc View Post
OK, I think I have (in)correct amount of friction modifier (FM) in my rear Dana 44. I put in 2.5 oz. with the synthetic 75w140 Valvoline. So do I need another 1.5 oz?

As for front axle I put way less than 2.5oz of FM in it asI thought my 04 shop manual said .015pt FM in front now does that translate to 2.5oz I did not do a pint to liter conversion.
Being I filled both axles to bottom of fill port hole I can't add and more FN now.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:

As for front axle I put way less than 2.5oz of (F) in it as my 04 shop manual said .015pt FM in front mow dies that translate to 2.5oz I did not do a pint to liter conversion.

Quote:
Being I filled both axles to bottom of fill port hole I can't add and more FN now.
To answer your first question; yes, you should add another 1.5 oz FM to your rear axle you already added 2.5 oz to so the total would be 4 oz total which is spec.

Since you have your gear oil up to the hole pull/suck about 3 oz of gear oil out, add the correct amount of FM to bring it up to spec, then add what you pulled out to bring it back up to the hole. You'll have a little left over.

As far as your 2nd quote are you sure your shop manual spec isn't .15 pt FM added to the front axle rather than .015 pt you wrote? In doing a conversation .015 pt = .24 oz (US) which is only about 1/4 oz. You would need to add another 2 1/4 ounces if that's all you added. On the other hand .15 pt = 2.4 oz which is almost correct and 1/10 ounce more would be needed.

Now to shoot down all my answers. I now see where you used Valvoline 75W-140 synthetic gear oil and if it's Valvoline SynPower it already has the friction modifier in it for limited slip axles. But I have no idea how much friction modifier? Typically it's not enough and some more FM would need to be added. But I'm not sure exactly how much and normally it's trial & error. You don't want the axle clutches grabbing while you also don't want them slipping.

Maybe somebody else on here can tell what their experiences are with Valvoline SynPower and how much FM they had to add if they have LS axles?

&
post #12 of 15 Old 09-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Bobo04

I do apologize for not including amount of FM for front and rear diff in previous post. After servicing front Dane 35 with LS I would put in 1 1/2 bottle of modifier first than fill the rest with Mopar synthetic gear oil. For rear Dana 44 with LS I would put in 2 bottles of modifier and fill the rest with Mopar synthetic gear oil. I serviced many WJ's differentials this way including knocking covers off every time and cleaning internals with brake clean in my 10 year working as Jeep tach, including my own.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 PM
StormWJ

I am having these same issues with my quadradrive WJ. Good information on the different approaches. I don't think any of the auto shops I have used have a clue on this friction modifier.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo04 View Post
I do apologize for not including amount of FM for front and rear diff in previous post. After servicing front Dane 35 with LS I would put in 1 1/2 bottle of modifier first than fill the rest with Mopar synthetic gear oil. For rear Dana 44 with LS I would put in 2 bottles of modifier and fill the rest with Mopar synthetic gear oil. I serviced many WJ's differentials this way including knocking covers off every time and cleaning internals with brake clean in my 10 year working as Jeep tach, including my own.
Would assume you mean the Dana 30 axle in the front since the Dana 35 would be in the rear behind the 4.0. I haven't ever seen the Mopar friction modifier for limited-slip axles come in any container other than the 4oz bottle like below. (only using Amazon to show the product and may be able to buy it cheaper elsewhere)

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar...s%2C166&sr=8-1

While you may have been told to service the LSD axles using 1-1/2 bottles (6 oz) of FM in the front D30 and 2 bottles (8oz) in the rear D44 believe that's way too much. The unsuspecting customer wouldn't even know it's too much FM until they get in a situation where the LSD axles are needed then the clutches in the differential would slip.

I'm going to stick by the spec of 2.5 oz of FM added to the front D30 axle and 4 oz for the rear axle (D44 or D35). Again, this is when adding in combination with a synthetic gear oil like Mopar synthetic which doesn't already have the FM in it.

&
post #15 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Bobo04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo04 View Post
Would assume you mean the Dana 30 axle in the front since the Dana 35 would be in the rear behind the 4.0. I haven't ever seen the Mopar friction modifier for limited-slip axles come in any container other than the 4oz bottle like below. (only using Amazon to show the product and may be able to buy it cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-...s%2C166&sr=8-1

While you may have been told to service the LSD axles using 1-1/2 bottles (6 oz) of FM in the front D30 and 2 bottles (8oz) in the rear D44 believe that's way too much. The unsuspecting customer wouldn't even know it's too much FM until they get in a situation where the LSD axles are needed then the clutches in the differential would slip.

I'm going to stick by the spec of 2.5 oz of FM added to the front D30 axle and 4 oz for the rear axle (D44 or D35). Again, this is when adding in combination with a synthetic gear oil like Mopar synthetic which doesn't already have the FM in it.
You are correct I ment Dana 30.
I personally never had issues with my LS diffs not engaging due to way I serviced them nor I had customer complained about the same. You are servicing your vehicle the way you think is best way and you feel most comfortable with, I respect that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in